What 'hooked' you... and what made you leave?

by s0rt3d 25 Replies latest jw friends

• s0rt3d
    s0rt3d

I wasn't born in. I got hooked in as a teenager. Was going through a tough time, wondered why we exist, why God wasn't doing anything to solve man's problems, if there was a true religion and, hey-presto, a JW classmate showed up with book that not only asked the questions I was asking but answered them too!

It all seemed to make perfect sense... although I do remember feeling VERY disappointed with the first meeting I attended - it was so boring! And I couldn't help marveling that all these grown people believed the earth would be a paradise again.... but that's also what made me keep studying: how could all these adults be wrong?! (Talk about naive!!!)

I left (many years later) when I went to the elders for help because I was secretly 'sinning' - the 'love' I was shown, and subsequent persecution and contempt, made me question if something was wrong in our branch. I just couldn't believe something was wrong with the WHOLE organisation. I took the humiliation and punishment but the way I'd been treated and the way the whole thing 'played out' eventually led me to take the first steps in my movement away from the 'Truth'.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I was sucked in at age 10. Not quite born-in, but close enough.

My unborn son (almost) needed an injection of red blood cells. Critical thinking skills turned ON, the rest is history.

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

I was born with the hook already in my mouth. Started wondering why we bash "evil Christendom" for things like having a clergy and confession, when we basically do the same things, minus the funny hats. After that the floodgates opened and everything seemed like nothing but politics and campaigning by salesmen. The word "stuck" doesn't even begin to describe my position.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I was born in, and did everything I was trained for and expected to do. That is get baptized and reach out for privileges. I haven't left yet, and that doesn't seem like its going to happen in the near future, but mentally and emotionally I'm gone. My reason for leaving in this fashion is the smug, arrogant, pretentious attitude prevalent in the WT's literature, and also found within many JWs. I've never felt comfortable looking down on everyone who is not a JW and expecting that someday Jehovah is going to destroy all nonJWs. Its nonsensible, and inhumane. I also take offense at the WT's intepretation of The Faithful and Discreet Slave as its man-worship.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Born in too...sucks when you don't have much of a choice, but it makes us who we are today.

I think when I was made an elder my journey out began. It took less than a year for me to see that something was seriously wrong with how people were treated in the org. Before that I never really saw how bad people are treated because it didn't happen to me personally like it has with so many here. But the craziness of elder meetings finally made me wake up. Reading Ray's first book made me realize the GB operates just like the typical elder body, little to no consultation of the bible with heavy reliance on policy manuals and maintaining the status quo.

• s0rt3d
    s0rt3d

Thanks all of you for sharing.... I remind myself that even though I had bad experiences where the elders are concerned, they aren't all bad. I am sure that there are those who try to do what they can and to be decent human beings despite all the rules and restrictions laid down by the WBTS which they must enforce and themselves obey.

It isn't always easy to do so.... Several months after I'd left the cong. I was in a car with a relative (who, thankfully, was the driver) when I saw in the distance, walking along the sidewalk, a man who looked like my chief persecuting elder. My heart began to pound rapidly and I could hardly breathe, so panicked was I. Even though we passed the man and it wasn't Bro. M, my heart continued to do the two step. I realized long after that just how traumatising the whole episode with the elders had been.

In fact, a whole ocean away, totally different country, several years later, JWs called at my door. We chatted briefly (I remained 'incognito') and that was that... or so I thought. That night I started panicking again, thinking they would somehow find out who I was and the whole Inquisiton would start again. Cult induced paranoia? PTSD?

So glad I am OUT!!! And I urge those who aren't sure to really think about it before they commit themselves to the WBTS.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I was born in. I did not get baptised until 17 and wild rumors circulated about why I was waiting so long. 17 is waiting to long? I did not know what I wanted to do for a job and yet - I should know what I want to do with life...right?!

After being married at 20 and living life for many years with an abusive drug dealer (and yet still JW on the surface - seems every had a double life) and finding out that he was cheating on me, I went to the elders to ask advice. They gave me a long list of Watchtowers to read which all said to stay with him (no proof of cheating and he was not about to admit it). I never went back - neither to my ex or the congregation.

Getting out took years, but after the final blow - the desicion was easy.

• highdose
    highdose

i was a brain washed born in... what pushed me out was the sheer unloving nature of my supposed "brothers and sisters" i knew that something was wrong and i didn't want to be part of it. Looking back over the years things had not sat right with me, but i tolerated these doubts or pushed them aside... it was the spitefull behaviour that did it for me. A year after being out i stumbled accross this site and finaly the lies and stupidity became clear.

No longer brain washed and never going back

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I was hooked by their explanations of hell, trinity, military involvement, and saluting the flag. The organizational procedures and power struggles among elders turned me off.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have not left but was initially "hooked" when I was exiting the womb and handed a Paradise book.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit