What 'hooked' you... and what made you leave?

by s0rt3d 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Ding
    Ding

I was hooked by the fact that the WTS seemed to have answers for everything and interpretations of Bible passages I didn't even knew existed. No one seemed to have any answers to what they said -- at least no one shared any with me.

Then I heard tapes by Walter Martin and Bill Cetnar that provided biblical answers and also exposed the WTS' false prophecies.

When elders didn't come up with satisfactory answers to what Martin and Cetnar were saying, I was on my way out.

When I showed an elder photocopies of some of the WT's false prophecies and asked for an explanation, he denounced them as apostate literature.

I asked him at what point something published in the Watchtower stopped being the truth and turned into apostate literature.

He got up and walked out on me.

• alias
    alias

Pretty much born in. My evolving consciousness woke me up.

alias

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Ding, this deserves to be repeated. I love it. Thank you for sharing this with us.

----

When I showed an elder photocopies of some of the WT's false prophecies and asked for an explanation, he denounced them as apostate literature.

I asked him at what point something published in the Watchtower stopped being the truth and turned into apostate literature.

He got up and walked out on me.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

I was a born in. In 2003 was doing Temp work in Brooklyn and saw all these buildings the WT had just for bethelites to live in and maintian. Nothing else was going on in them just lots of big dollar building waiting to be sold. This was the time all the bethelites knew they were going to be kick out. You should of seen the scared look on there faces. That really got me to thinking. I agree with lostgeneration when I read Rays book it also reminded me of our elders meetings. No use of the Bible just WT pub. and elder book. Totally ADD

• Maddie
    Maddie

I fell for it hook, line and sinker because I was very vulnerable and unhappy. It seemed to answer all the questions I had asked myself and offered me a 'family' I had never had.

I left when I discovered that it wasn't the 'TRUTH', but I was in a cult.

Maddie

• AGuest
    AGuest

What hooked me (greetings, dear s0rt3d, and peace to you!): they said they had the truth... and God's true name.

What made me leave: apparently, they didn't [have the truth] because they had such a problem when I shared it with them, they asked me to leave. I've since found out they don't have the name right, either.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

hooked? being born - but when I did decide to get baptized as a child, I think I was impressed with the pacifist stand, even to death, that German JWs took in WW2 against the nazis.

made me leave? History, Archeology, Science, and observed data which show 100% without question that Bible stories like Noah's ark aren't true, and certainly not from God. Also - the blood doctrine was so obviously wrongly interepreted, even if one did believe the Bible is from God.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Born in, more or less a real believer all my life, especially after I quit drinking. I separated emotionally from it when I realized that they would not help my son, and were content to boot him out after meeting with him once.

The real breakcame when the child abuse scandal broke; my nephew called me in a panic. I told him it was probably just some rogue elders, and I would look into it for him.

What I found was unbelievable; I read and researched and called Bill Bowen, I called Barb Anderson. I found them truthful and believable.

That was it for me. If the WT can't get an issue as jugular as protecting children right, nothing else they say is of any interest to me.

I began my fade in real earnest in July 2002.

I am faded like the perfect pair of blue jeans.

P

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Hooked me? Promises of Utopia and they seemed to be able to answer hard questions.

What me me leave? The Pharisee attitude and philosophy that caused the WT to be cruel and heavy rather than kindly and light.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I started studying at 9, a year before my parents. The elderly sister who studied with me never used anything but the Bible and she answered every single question I had. That is what hooked me.

What made me leave was an evil rule they've got regarding child abuse victims needing two eyewitnesses, preferably who are Jehovah's Witnesses in good standing.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit