Called to be Free - Dissolution of the Worldwide Church of God

by Dogpatch 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I used to watch Garner Ted Armstrong's TV program all the time. He was a lot like that other fellow that wrote all of the books about the end times (name escapes me at the moment), with his prophecies of the "king of the north and king of the south," "Gog and Magog," etc.

I loved how his prophecies would change as America's perceived enemies changed over the years. First Russia, then Iran, then Iraq.

Garner Ted got DF'd from the WWCoG by his dad. Then he went to Texas and set up his own branch, which I think is still active and follows a lot of the old WWCoG beliefs. GTA died a few years ago. He was DF'd by his dad because of infidelity in his marriage and was also accused of misuse of church funds for his personal uses.

I had a co-worker that was a WWCoG member. I remember him telling me that he gave 10% of his GROSS pay to the church, before taxes, med ins, stock plan, etc. He was always borrowing money from the rest of us to buy lunch or to fill his gas tank. He also did not work on Saturday's, so when he was a supervisor at the phone company he had to find a replacement willing to work his weekend duty - and it usually was me.

They were a weird bunch, but like the JWs, fairly dedicated and trying to be good Christians. But it was so obviously a personality cult under Herbert and son Garner Ted. Plain Truth had pages and pages of Herbert shaking hands with Sadat, and DeGaulle and other major world leaders. I think Sun Yun Moon learned and patterned his Moonie religion after HWA and GTA and their approach to world evangelism.

Anyone remember that Bing Crosby's concert career effectively came to an end when he fell off the stage at Ambassador College's concert hall while giving performance?

JV

• Violia
    Violia

There was another preacher on TV that I used to watch . He wore a Cowboy hat and smoked a big cigar. His young wife took over for him when he died. He was the most interesting religious person on TV to me. I would stay up late at night just to listen to him. Sort of the Art Bell of TV, or at least I thought.

• garyneal
    garyneal

marked

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I used to watch old Herbert's old show in the '80s. I remember seeing him talk about 1914 and I was like "Whoa" JWs are not the only ones talking about that date. I even got literature from the WCOG at that time because I was interested if they had additional arguments against Easter and other holidays than what the JWs use. Turned it the content of the booklet was largely identical with the stuff found in JW literature.

In the early '90s I had a workmate who was in the WCOG. My main memory was that we lined up overnight to get concert tickets to see Depeche Mode and she was really excited to go with me to the show. Then a few days beforehand she was PISSED. Turned out that the show fell on one of the WCOG holy days and she was not allowed to go. I felt really bad for her. She gave me her tickets and I asked someone else to go with me.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Thanks for sharing! I thoroughly enjoyed the video. I even found the original on youtube and shared it on my facebook account. Let's see how much damage I can do.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I can remember going on bible studies as a kid and Herbert Armstrong was often brought up by the householder.

I had no idea why there was an issue then, and only just now learned in the past few years.

I have so much respect for an organization that can admit its mistakes.

It is something none of us here have ever experienced.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Its a very moving video. It is amazing how many parallels can be found to jws. They surly dealt with the situation much better then the WT GB.

Overall I have to agree with slimboyfat.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    There was another preacher on TV that I used to watch . He wore a Cowboy hat and smoked a big cigar.

Was this perhaps Dr. Gene Scott? I used to watch him late at night, before I was a JW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3X-GtEnjME&feature=related

• Violia
    Violia

If you click on that video it wil take you to youtube and you can see Dr. Scott in his more usual form, hat and cigar. That is some wild TV.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I think it should be noted here that "mistake" that the COG corrected was purely doctrinal.

I see nothing in that video that says they feel their cult behavior was a "mistake"

They still believe in tithing, and excomunicating, so would someone please explian to me how they have changed for the good?

I saw nothing that said they were wrong about shunning doctors and they regret all the members who died and suffered because of it. (though I only watched the firt 50 minutes, so maybe they did redeem themselves in the end)

Above, the poster Ding asked a very valid question, that has been ignored. I cant answer it, could someone else who thinks that the COG is so brave and noble please answer it? I woul love to hear an answer.

Anyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit