Does God Keep Time or is Time a Human Construct?

by Band on the Run 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sorry, I've been around the block at the most prestigious universities and my question was not stupid! There is malice on this board. First, who ever gave you authority to call me or my question stupid? I suggest the post that followed mine reveals the conclusion. I simply do not recognize your authority or understand the venom.

People post here about some notable things, such as boobs, favorite rock songs, favorite rock songs with the 80s with a female lead, the bra size of Russell's fifth mistress, etc. Give me a break.

I do recall not agreeing with some one-side political postings. It is my freedom.

Look in a mirror and mout the word "stupid."

• factfinder
    factfinder

I Quit!-Thank you ! I do not understand how time can be slowed down by gravity or physical things but it sounds interesting. It's too bad that we can't travel back in time.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Band on the Run- your question was not stupid.

• Terry
    Terry

About 24 years ago I sat down and decided I needed to redefine every single concept I possessed anew. Why? Because being a JW had ruined my thinking with false definitions. I had to pull out the phoney stuff by the roots.

Time=the distance between events.

For primitive man the easiest events to observe were day and night. Consequently, days and nights became the unit of measure in themselves.

Just like counting became a one on one correspondence between the fingers on your hands and the things you were counting.

The Babylonians realized that a base 12 made fractions alot easier to deal with. A circle was divided into 360 degrees.

An hour is 60 minutes. A day is 24 hours. All divisible by 12.

When the stories about creation were written down a Just So explanation about time was inserted. To wit: the heavenly bodies were given as "signs".

Without electricity and light pollution ancient man had nothing better to do but observe the movement of the the moon, sun, stars and planets.

All of this is retrofitted, of course, into all the mythologies from immemorial eras of human society.

Just as God=the highest possible

The be-all and end-all of God creeps in to our time-keeping.

It is only appropriate that we seem to think God started "time" and will soon end it.

How elusive is that countdown!!

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Point: an exact location

Introduce that point to the 1st dimension and it can travel one of two directions along a line.

Introduce that line to the 2nd dimension and it can travel one of many directions against its axis and make a plane.

Introduce that plane to the 3rd dimension and it can travel one of many directions against the previous two axes and make a box.

Now what? The 3 axes have been spoken for. The box can only expand or contract along the 3 axes... but introduce it to the 4th dimension and it travels in one direction only between two points in time. Duration is the 4th dimension. The property all 3 dimensions possess which enable them to endure, or occupy 3D space, from one point in time to another.

Time is interpreted by the minds of living organisms to reconcile cause and effect, but it is also influenced when presented with very strong gravitational forces or velocities approaching light speed. Einstein--SOMEHOW--knew that time was relative and eventually published his theory of relativity (on his spare time while working in a patent office). The most amazing thing about it is, how a human in the early 1900s with no modern technology had enough insight to even come up with an idea this abstract. Because time is different on an object at near light speed relative to a stationary object, Einstein proved there's no such thing as a universal clock. Time inside a black hole breaks all rules: past, present and future occur simultaneously.

When you think about stuff like that, and the fact that our nearest galactic neighbor, M31 Andromeda, is 2.3 MILLION light years away, the concept of a "universal God" seems so ridiculous. It's just too big a place!!! If there IS a God who can violate all physical laws and propel himself with Holy Spirit (a force yet to be detected or measured), through the known universe in real, absolute time... would he really give a damn if a teenage boy spanks his monkey every night? Then WHY ALL THE GUILT AND FEAR?

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

BOTR, don't take it personally. It was a good question and I really like your posts, so keep them coming.

What do I think? We are "God" and we have a higher self that exists outside of linear time. This is a question best answered by metaphysical science, dimensions, tree of life, etc. David Wilcock has excellent stuff on this, but there are many others.

• Razziel
    Razziel

Time is a consequence of the second law of thermodynamics.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Band on the run

Don't worry too much about Farkel. He's a curmudgeon: a crusty, ill-tempered, and usually old man

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Hey DarioKehl, nice post!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Time is very much a real thing. In fact it can be manipulated and changed at will using Relativity.

It is possible to speed up or slow down time for yourself and those around you by moving near the speed of light or by approaching very massive objects.

As an example, when you are staindg up, time is moving more quickly for your head and more slowly for your feet. This is because of the mass of the earth slowing down time. The closer you get to the earth, the slower time passes. The farther away from the earth, the faster time passes.

If you were to approach a black hole, time for you would almost stop. To an outside observer you would appear frozen in time. For you, looking out, everything would appear to be happinging is super-fast motion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit