Does God Keep Time or is Time a Human Construct?

by Band on the Run 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was watching OZ re-runs on HBO. Everyone is prepping for a major prison riot. Apocalyptic scenes are shown. The narrator talks of humans who predict the end of time. He finished by saying that man divided time. Did God measure out time in days, hours or minutes or do humans? As a matter of fact, how do indigenous peoples keep time? The sun and moon are obvious but are there are clearer demarcations.

So how does WTBTs confine God to end times in the near future?

• I quit!
    I quit!

I wouldn't say that it is a human constuct but is something that is part of our physical universe. I believe that God is outside of time and I have no idea how God views things although I'm sure it is totally different thatn how we do. As people we tend to see things through our limited human perspective and and attach great importance to the very short time we spend here on earth. I think that is why it is easy for people to believe that they are the ones living in the last generation. I don't thing we live long enough to really understand much about anything that is going on and besides that we don't have very good view from where we sit on this small planet yet many of us speak with certainty as if we had some special knowledge on the subject.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:The narrator talks of humans who predict the end of time.

So?

:He finished by saying that man divided time.

So?

:Did God measure out time in days, hours or minutes or do humans?

So?

:As a matter of fact, how do indigenous peoples keep time?

So?

:The sun and moon are obvious but are there are clearer demarcations.

What are they, then?

:So how does WTBTs confine God to end times in the near future?

That question does not logically follow all the bullshit that preceded it. In fact, your whole topic is total bullshit.

Farkel, Tactful CLASS

• factfinder
    factfinder

But is "time" really a physical thing? Isn't it just a measure? I don't believe we could travel back or forward in time because time is not "real"- it is an idea. It is just a concept or a perception isn't it?

I agree that god's view of it and it's passing must be much different than ours. We really know so little.

• free2beme
    free2beme

God would have to be an individual, if this was the case. Which is kind of close minded.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I'm not sure what time is but it is effected by physical things such a speed and gravity. Time can be bent by gravity. It slows down with speed and is slowed by gravity. I'm sure you have heard that people age slower in space. That is why even if they ever figure out how to send people out into space for long periods of time they will have to prepare them mentally for the fact that when they return everyone they knew will have already died of old age by the time they return. I think traveling forward in time is possible but I don't know if traveling back in time is.

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I answered this question in the second to the last talk I ever gave as a witness. You should have been there. The school overseer gave me a "G".

I'm sorry but the question is quite rudimentary as Farkel alluded to. My suggestion to anyone is to not over-think things too much. In life, try to avoid narcissism as much as possible. It dulls the mind.

There is fact, there is narrative, and there is someone's personal viewpoint that they choose to believe as fact.

The bible claims that God has no beginning or end. Where does time come to play in that scenario? Do you really want the responsibility of answering questions like this? The governing body of jw's is more than happy to answer questions like this for you. Problem is - they have a history of being wrong.

Who keeps time? That is the answer to your question.

• wobble
    wobble

The only time I worry about is when they call "time" at the Pub, which is quickly followed by a "aint you got no 'omes to go to ?"

Of course most of us have got a home to go to, but if you've supped enough pints its quite difficult to find the right house.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

If there was a God, why would he keep time? It is a human construct. Just like God is a human construct.

Jeff

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear BOTR, and peace to you! I would like to respond, if I may, with what I've learned from my Lord - thank you!

The answer to you question is both: the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies does keep time... and time is a human construct. I will explain:

Time... as we [flesh with its blood] know it... is set in limited increments. And so time, as we know it, was devised by the limited... for the limited... based on the limitations of the physical world (i.e., number of revolutions of the earth on its axis, in its orbit, how far light travels in x amount of time, etc.). In the spirit realm, there are no planets... or suns... or need to measure how far light travels... so as to dictate time.

The physical body lives a "lifespan" (whatever that happens to be) and then dies, due to its limitations; spirit beings (excluding earthling man) do not have physical bodies, however, thus they don't die - they must be destroyed... and none have been destroyed, yet, so their lives are not limited.

To say that the Most Holy One of Israel doesn't keep time, however, would be inaccurate. HOW He keeps time is the issue... and my understanding is that it is based on mathematical type constructs, which I cannot describe, unfortunately, as they are not stated in man's tongue, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. In another thread, I shared how I heard a voice say "Let the Light come"... "come to be"... "be"... "come into existence [in the physical world]"... or something to that effect... in words that were NOT words, per se... but something, well, the closest I can describe is that it was like a mathematical equation (however, that truly is an understatement as I understood that what we know as "mathematics" is utterly primitive when compared to what I heard)...

At the very moment that I heard the voice "speak"... a light came... well, the accurate word would be "exploded" into the darkness in which I was situated (and not out of the darkness, although some might describe it that way). What I witnessed was a sort of "birth" of... well, life. Without going into what that light and life was... and what it did... I will say that the darkness was absolutely empty - no air, no gravity, no movement, no dust (not even a particle)... nothing. Void. Of anything and everything... except me... and the light once "it" came in and was with me IN the darkness.

My understanding is that, for the Most Holy One of Israel, His calculation of "time"... started with the birth of that light. Everything that has a time reference to it as to Him... is calculated from that moment. Which started long before man... and is why the "math" is so far beyond us: we simply don't have the... ummmm... ability... whether human or machine.... to calculate the "time"... or "distance"... from that point of origin. Neither our brains (due to the limitations put on it by the fleshly body - i.e., blood/oxygen supplies, etc.)... or our computers (due to their designers' limitations)... have the capacity (the second isn't even close and while this may sound counterintuitive to some our brains are MUCH more advanced than any supercomputer, as the latter can only produce what we can will it to, contrary depictions in modern sci-fi movies notwithstanding).

I hope this helps, somewhat, although I can understand if it doesn't make sense, is hard to grasp, or you just don't understand it. I am neither a mathmetician or physicist, etc., and so I've explained the best I can, for now.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit