Does anyone know what happens to full-time JW's(DO's, CO's, Missionaries, Special pioneers, etc) when they reach old age?

by african GB Member 35 Replies latest jw friends

• trevor
    trevor

God takes care of them along with the sparrows. It's all in the bible.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Depends on where you are in the org. If you're a life-long with a high-enough position you can retire at Bethel. The rest is either CO/DO until they die (literally). Missionaries, special pioneers etc. have to either continue that or live off whatever they have saved, in the EU there is a lot of welfare they can live off while most in the US at least have to go back to work, some simply leave the JW's if they're young enough and get ditched.

A LOT of CO/DO's that I know have it made however. They were able to 'do more' because of long-term investments and golden parachutes rather than self-sacrifice. Some of them even own properties they rent out while they are in their positions.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I knew a couple of C.O.'s that planned for this. One started the circuit work after he had some kind of pension plan and rented out his home (mortgage-free) to JW's. He retired and moved back to that home as a retired person.

Another had nothing when he started as a C.O.. He said that he was fully aware that if he needed to stop the fulltime work, there were no provisions for him. He put away at least half of the green handshakes, more most of the time. He only told the elders this, but you know how they are just as bad at gossip (if not worse) as everyone else, so it was common knowledge. People would kiss up to him and buy dinners and pay for outings so he did not need to use the money the same people were shoving in his hand. I don't know if he stayed in the circuit work or not. He may have had a bundle to retire with.

• designs
    designs

There are a couple of Trailers in the back of the KH I use to attend and two old COs and there wives lived in them.

• flipper
    flipper

They die

• yesidid
    yesidid

I have a relative who got sick while a CO. He was not even given enough money for the gas to get him home........which was over a thousand miles away.

Old CO's and DO's get absolutely nothing from the WBTS. Individual congregations occosionally allow one to use the appartment attached to the KH, but that is not the WBTS.

• moshe
    moshe
    Well, I know one very long time circuit overseer has his house built that was paid in full by his last Circuit. I would think one brother that is very wealthy contributed the most.

I wonder, if he gets to keep his house, if he becomes an apostate?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

As of a dozen years ago in the US, most of these guys (former DO/CO and special pioneers) got a small pension from the society after retirement. It wasn't as much as social security, but they did have a pension program or whatever they called it. I don't know if they still have this program, but yes they gave older retired ones who had give long time service financial aid.

I don't think they get money just because they retire. They may get the Special Pioneer stipend when they stop traveling and settle down "where the need is great" but they still need to special pioneer to get the money. I think. But since most of them DO, your statement above is correct. It is just that they don't get the money because of their prior service, but because they go from the CO ranks into the special pioneer list, and they get a stipend.

• william hahn
    william hahn

Someone made the comment reciting WTS as saying they only look after their elderly retired servants.Well i have 24 episodes of Father Ted that says they are not the only ones!

• wobble
    wobble

"Old Full Time JW's never die, they just fade into Bumblefuck"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit