how important was the hope of the paradise to you? and what do you hope in now?

by Curtains 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Curtains
    Curtains

awen

Peace

At first the idea of a Paradise sounded like a good idea. One day I had an epiphany about it.

Matthew 16:25-" For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

If I truly loved God, then I shouldn't be doing his service with the idea of gaining a reward at the end. I thought of the whole 1975 fiasco and although I could understand why many people left, I had a serious problem with it. They were serving God with a time limit in mind. If things didn't happen within a certain amount of time, then they ended up leaving God. The thing is, this wasn't God's fault, but the WTS' fault for putting the idea in people's mind in the first place. Jesus himself said that no one knew the date for his return (except God) and so having some sort of time limit in mind was a waste of time and not done out of a sincere heart.

I agree - it is so important to let Jesus' words regarding the end remain open - therein lies the beauty of them. To set a time limit is completely at odds with his words. I like matthew 16:25 too

• Curtains
    Curtains

outlaw otowo leavingwt - I'm afraid you did not understand what I meant

• Curtains
    Curtains

pontoon

None of us know what the paradise would be like, at first it all sounds wonderful, Wat illustrations make it look fairy-tale-ish. But though, if true, perfect health, plentiful food...etc what not to like? But in reality I don't believe in fairy tales. I believe there would be much hard work to do, industry, farming, fixing and repairing tools and buildings and equipment as time and wear takes it's toll. I don't believe petting a lion and playing with a cobra is literal. In the wild food chain will still be there. Then we'll have to learn "new scrolls". KH every night. Worship every day. Suits and ties again. Here we go again

over here we were always told that the pics in the publications were just an artist's impression. I think somewhere along the line we realized they were infantile. In my vision KHs, elders, kingdom halls etc don't figure. my vision is very nature based. I like your points about industry, farming etc

acquagirl, emptyinside, awaken2004, foundsheep, finger, longhairgirl

• Curtains
    Curtains

daringhart

I struggle with it.

I admittedly do not know what to believe.

if it helps - I don't have a solid set of beliefs either. But congratulations on finding comfort in believing in God and Christ after the WT

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The problem is that JWs focus on their "reward" instead of knowing God and loving Him. They take John 17:3 and try to take in "knowledge" so that they can get their reward. It's a very selfish way to live.

I hope to be wherever my Lord and Savior is. Whether the end result is in heaven or on earth, I hope to serve Him now as I will then.

• Curtains
    Curtains

me too doofdaddy - i am also quite future with a ? oriented

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I never had love for Jay Hoover. I did FS because of my hope for Paradise and eternal life. When I realized that the Bible is a scam and that all religions are hoaxes, I left. My hope is to live 80 years. I know I will die and never be ressurected again. No one ever turns back from the dead. Not even Jesus.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult

Curtains, ha ha, sorry, too. Just to be clear, I am not a practicer of Buddhism, and I was just saying that my knowledge, awareness, and acceptance was sort of zen-like regarding what comes after death. I have no special insights into a state of zen ;)

• Hoffnung
    Hoffnung

Very sensitive topic. I am a born in, and yes I believed in living forever in Paradise Earth, and it was the most difficult doctrine to leave behind. Yet, when I was growing up, there were too many questions and problems with it. Why should somebody get a resurrection because he died 2 years before Armaggeddon, and the one living longer would not get one? Why do 6 billion people have to die a violent dead? What about all the people that were never reached with the bible message? How can my grandfather be happy when he wakes up and finds grandma married with someone else? How will dead babies get resurrected? What is paradise if my 1st job would be to bury all these dead people and see all the destruction? There are too many practical problems really. And one day, a friend gave me a public talk from Cirius Aulicino or what's-his-name, and that turned me off so badly. I am very happy not to believe in that crap anymore. If there exists something like paradise, it is going to be in heaven, it even seems more logic to me, with less practical problems.

• Curtains
    Curtains

BROTHERDAN

The problem is that JWs focus on their "reward" instead of knowing God and loving Him. They take John 17:3 and try to take in "knowledge" so that they can get their reward. It's a very selfish way to live.

I hope to be wherever my Lord and Savior is. Whether the end result is in heaven or on earth, I hope to serve Him now as I will then.

your point regarding JWs focusing solely and selfishly on the reward is so not the case. I'm not sure I know your history. were you ever a jw?

Most Jehovahs witnessess love God in the same way you describe loving God.

You have also raised an important issue for me. I think it is quite basic to want and desire reward. How does one reclaim one's desire for reward after seeing this aspect sabotaged by the Jehovahs witness teachings described by some of you in this thread. New chapter seems to have freed herself. My path is similar to hers. Rewards are very important to me - brotherdan would you class this as a selfish way to live. Or am I misunderstanding you?

hoffnug

If there exists something like paradise, it is going to be in heaven, it even seems more logic to me, with less practical problems.

I like what you have to say because the idea of heaven presents vast opportunities and rewards

darth,

I never had love for Jay Hoover. I did FS because of my hope for Paradise and eternal life. When I realized that the Bible is a scam and that all religions are hoaxes, I left. My hope is to live 80 years. I know I will die and never be ressurected again. No one ever turns back from the dead. Not even Jesus.

thanks for your honest response.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit