Why I stopped the Bookstudy - Field Service from my home

by Witness 007 29 Replies latest jw experiences

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I also had the BS in my home for about 2 years until my exhusband left- I liked not having to leave the house but it was a chore to come home from work early to clean, get the dog to stay upstairs, and then after such a long day of getting things together...people would linger forever- sometimes it was 11:00pm and I would have to say...I have to go to work in the morning- we had a "dating" couple in our bookstudy and they used our kindness as an excuse to hang out "chaperoned" all frickin nite- I would get so frustrated.

on another note....people's comments earlier in this thread made me remember...

I remember my mom telling me when I asked her as a child why we had small groups for some meetings- she said that the bookstudy was our go-to group when Armageddon began...when the sky started falling and people were comming after us to put us in concentration camps- we were supposed to head to our bookstudy groups to get sprititual food and direction from the faithful and discreet slave..

No wonder we are so messed up

CHG

• witnessofjesus
    witnessofjesus

I find it sad that the Watchtower has resorted to ruining peoples lives by telling them to NOT go to college and get a good education, but to rather spend their time in the pioneer work for the 'days are shortened', or 'the time is reduced.' It seems to me that their concept of God's Justice is JUST-US, and not JUSTICE, which is the foundation of God's throne. My wife and I have been studying with the JWs for the past eight months, but I just could not deny that Jesus was worshipped in the New Testament, and that He is in fact, God become man to die for our sins, yours and mine. Yes, after considering Matthew 14:33 and Hebrews 1:6, I could not deny the fact that Jesus was worshipped, and He didn't forbid those who 'clasped His feet' from so worshipping Him. The JW NWT may have changed the word to 'obesience' to obscure the meaning of these passages, but their own 1971 edition of the NWT in Hebrews 1:6 has the word 'worship' in it and I recently showed this to an elder, and he was surprised to see this with his own eyes at the Kingdom Hall. Yes, true are the words of Mosiah when he stated, that "

• Mosiah 3:17

And moreover, I say unto you, that there shall be no other name given nor any other way nor means whereby salvation can come unto the children of men, only in and through the name of Christ, the Lord Omnipotent ."

• Acts 4:12 agrees with this inspired scripture showing that Christ is the ONLY WAY, the ONLY NAME whereby we 'must get saved', so if Jesus Christ is the ONLY NAME we need to 'get saved', why use the name Jehovah? Jesus is our Ransomer, He is the One who will save us, and not we ourselves.

Yes, true to the words of Mosiah, a Book of Mormon prophet, are the following words of this sacred volume of the New World:

• Mosiah 3:5

For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

Yes, Jesus fulfilled this prophecy, and He did indeed 'come down from heaven' and dwelt in a 'tabernacle of clay' or a human body. I am so grateful for the Atoning power of Jesus Christ, and His shed blood that paved the way for me to return back to my Heavenly Father someday. I'm so grateful for the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, and for the prophet Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon that the Lord used him to bring forth unto the nations, yes, I'm so grateful that our Church, the one we almost left for the false WT religion, promotes higher education, and encourages us to read books other than those published by our own Church authorities, and to gather knowledge from all corners of the world. Yes, I'm sure many of you here may deride or mock the Mormons, for we are a people far different than the JWs of the WT, but we affirm with the rest of Christianity that Jesus is indeed the Lord Omnipotent and God Himself, a member of the Godhead.

A marked difference between the JW faith and the LDS faith is the encouragment we receive to get a higher education, we're encouraged to do this by our living prophet and apostles and by the words of modern-day scripture, such as those that follow:

• Doctrine and Covenants 90:15

And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books , and with languages, tongues, and people.

• Doctrine and Covenants 88:118

And as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.

• Doctrine and Covenants 109:14

And do thou grant, Holy Father, that all those who shall worship in this house may be taught words of wisdom out of the best books , and that they may seek learning even by study, and also by faith, as thou hast said;

• Proverbs 18:15

The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge ; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge .

• Doctrine and Covenants 121:42

By kindness, and pure knowledge , which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

• Doctrine and Covenants 130:18, 19

18 Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection.

19 And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come.

Yes, my friends on this board, thank you for all the vital information you've shared with me and my family these past eight months, we've been faithful attenders at all the meetings of the JWs here in Japan, but we must make our departure here. We cannot deny the God Who bought us with His own Blood, the Savior of the World, the Redeemer of mankind, the Light of the World, the Great I Am, the Son of God, the Great Jehovah Himself for a religion that teaches that education is NOT important, and for one that has relagated Jesus to the position of a mere mortal. We invite each of you, as you make your way out of the Watch Tower religion, to investigate our faith, the Mormon faith, we're a friendly people, we are in this world, but we are no part of it: We know who we are, where we came from and where we're going, and we don't use scare tactics like the JWs use Armageddon to beat you into submission, or the churches who use 'hellfire' to scare the sinner to the alter, we preach the Love of Christ and we invite all men to 'come unto Him' and be perfected IN Him. Yes, we believe the canon of Scripture to be OPEN, that the Heavens are OPEN again, God is speaking to men again through living prophets and apostles, and we invite all to request a free copy of the Book of Mormon, and the Bible if they wish, and a copy of the Holy Bible, and we'll gladly have our missionaries deliver a copy of it to your home for free. Visit us online at http://www.mormon.org

Your friendly neighbors,

The Mormons

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Sorry, the idea that an angel appeared to Joseph Smith in upstate NY is ridiculous. The Mormon beliefs make the Witnesses look mainstream and orthodox. This is my personal, strongly held view. I believe in freedom of religion for my own purposes. Both groups are cult like.

In defense of small children, I was raised in the borg. No provisions were ever made for children being children. I attend Anglican churches now and never cease to be amazed at the sheer joy children have in Sunday School and youth groups that are age appropriate. Squeals of delight can be heard. What loving parent would inflict adult conversations of oral sex, Armageddon, WTBTS weirdness on innocent children. They could be segregated within the kindgom hall with a few adults and learn WTS propagana at their own learning level. Clearly, they are not learning now. Meetings are severe punishment.

When I was small, my mom let me take Suzette, my fashion doll not as sexed up as Barbie, to a convention. She was reproved. I did not make any noise. My mom was insistent on that. They could do pre-recorded PBS children's TV and then have a short lesson. The adults would probably benefit the most from the children not disrupting. The KH I attended had massive amounts of foster children acting out. All they did was disappear to the bathroom every three minutes. My three year old sister was bored at a convention and brushed her chubby baby feet against the chair in front. A Bethelite, sitting with his gf, took off his belt and handed it to my mother. This is pathology. Beat a child. My father beat us and samll dogs. He never took on someone his own side or a Rotweiller or German Sherpherd.

There is such a lack of joy and empathy in the Witnesses. My KH was not middle class and middle class manners were lacking. When it comes to ordinary Witnesses, I see nothing objectionable. Perhaps, I see only sadness. Suffer the little children to come to me.

• nugget
    nugget

It always amazed me that some people could be so unappreciative of someone else's home. I fully understood why some brothers and sisters requested that shoes were left at the door. I enjoyed having the group at our home it was nice to have one place less to go on a week night. I had no complaints but knew that some people were less lucky. One pioneer couple would turn up half an hour early whilst one family was preparing for the group. Some people complained about removing shoes and made a big fuss. It did get ridiculous at one point when one sister asked for a glass of water as she was very ill and the medication made her throat dry then one after the other people asked for drinks.

• snakeface
    snakeface

I had a book study in my home in the mid-1990's. My living room was very large; we had about 22 or 23 in attendance and plenty of room for at least 12 or 15 cars. We would clean the house and set up the chairs the night before.

People would show up 40 or 45 minutes early. I was usually in the shower at that time. (One time an elderly sister arrived even earlier than that. I didn't even know she was in the house, and I came out of the shower naked and started walking to my bedroom to get dressed. Normally I would lock the door until I was dressed and ready for people to start walking in but I guess this time I had forgotten. ) Instead of pulling their cars in to allow others to pull in behind them, the early ones would park so that no one else could get in. Latecomers would park blocking neighbors' driveways; we'd often have neighbors coming and ringing the doorbell during the study asking people to move their cars. I would always turn off the ringers on all the phones so we wouldn't be interrupted. Some people started bringing their newly-interested Bible students with all their kids. We'd keep discovering that items were missing from the house, and things would get broken. Things like faucets, light switches, and doorknobs. The conductor always wanted the heat and air conditioning at extreme temperatures, resulting in higher electric bills. After the meeting, if it wasn't goodie night (which lasted till after 11PM) the conductor wanted everyone to stay and rehearse field service presentations or demonstrations for the upcoming service meeting.

The group also met at my house for Saturday field service. After field service they all wanted to come inside again, to use the bathroom and the phone. Eventually I told the elders it had become burdensome and was taking time away from my personal study and family study. So the group was moved elsewhere "temporarily".

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

How is the Mormon post relevant in this thread?

We had the bookstudy group for years too ... we had the same problems with kids, nosy people wandering around, mess, etc. The most aggravating thing for me was that the persisent few insisted on arriving so early ....

Loz x

• Ding
    Ding

Sometimes I think the WTS is trying to drive as many JWs out of the organization as possible with all their rules and judgmentalism.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Fill your lower medicine cabinet shelf with marbles so that when a nosey bitch opens it to snoop around all the marbles fly out and CRASH to the floor.

• wobble
    wobble

We got rid of it from our home after a huge grown man (won't call him brother) kicked our three year old (at the time) son.

It wasn't a hard kick, just a sort of help him along a bit one, but my wife saw it, so I told the Elders the group had to go, I also told the bully that he had better not even go near my kids again. The bully's wife called on us to "apologise" for her husbad's behaviour, typical of a bully, not got the guts to do it himself. (he was a bit of a nutter actually, but that is no excuse).

We appreciated the people who did open their homes, and always tried to be as helpful as possible to them, we knew what it was like to have your home invaded by people you would not normally invite.

• dinah
    dinah

There have been several stories here about how the BS host's home is treated. I never noticed any of the things mentioned happening in my community. We were a very small congregation, in a very small community.

That whole arrangement does seem like it would be a huge pain in the ass for the homeowner. On the one hand, at least you don't have to drive to the bookstudy--but on the other hand, you're house gets invaded once a week.

It always amazes me when I read how some of the Witnesses acted at the Bookstudy. Maybe the Watchtower should print a book on common courtesy? They always write about stuff they have no clue about anyway. Maybe they could palagerize Emily Post!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit