With modern technology how long can the truly keep going?

by life is to short 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Look what modern technology has done for the people in Egypt!!!!!

This is my take too, although the GB and other old school heavies at the branches and writing department may not be quite ready to acknowledge it yet. The comparisons to Mubarak regime, and the Muslim Brotherhood to the Watchtower are too similar. The writing is on the wall for the WT and either they refuse to see it, or they just can't let go. I found this interview on MSNBC regarding the situation in Egypt. It reminds of threads here on JWN, and also the situations I see in congregations that I visit, and the one I grew up in as far as young people leaving.

Q: I know this situation has a very long history, but can you tell us what has spurred this to happen now?

A: Frustration with the Mubarak regime has been growing, but no doubt the democratic revolution in Tunisia played a role. Indeed, recent decades have seen scores of unarmed insurrections against corrupt autocratic regimes from the Philippines to Poland, from Chile to Serbia, from Maldives to Mali.

Q: What are the basics that the people are demanding? That is, for what are they struggling/fighting?

A: Freedom of speech, press, assembly, free/honest elections, etc. which they believe is impossible as long as Mubarak (or his son) is in power. Also, greater economic justice; poverty and inequality are growing. Liberalizing the economy while not liberalizing the political system is a dangerous combination.

Q: What role do you believe the Muslim Brotherhood is playing in the Egypt protests and does that organization enjoy broad support among the Egyptian people?

A: The demonstrations are led primarily by young people who are not only anti-regime, but find the aging leadership of the Muslim Brotherhood as out of touch with their day-to-day realities as the government. There seems little support for the more extreme Islamists either. The Brotherhood's refusal to endorse the protests until after they started and were clearly gaining support was clearly opportunistic and doesn't help their standing.

• wasblind
    wasblind

LOL @ Villabolo

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In the Future..

The WBT$ will be Focusing on JW`s who aren`t Interested in Education..

But..

Will enforce WBT$ Rules..

JW Baptizims will be a thing of the Past..

The WBT$ will be Happy,to just Hose them Off..

....................... ...OUTLAW

• dgp
    dgp
    Of course, if they put the rags online and had people simply download them if interested, that would allow the witlesses to actually do something other than field circus. And, they don't want to lose a way to waste people's time.

I believe that here is an unintended use of the magazines now that they easy to download. Critics can actually comment on them , and the criticism can spread more than it would if the magazines were not online.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/the_jehovahs_witnesses_redefin.php

"Jehovah's witnesses redefine irony (this has to do with the Awake! of November 2010):

You can now download the latest issue of Awake, the Jehovah's Witness's strange little magazine. The theme of this issue is those marching militant atheists, so it's a little bit personal.

Unfortunately, I was only able to read as far as the second sentence before I was blinded by the irony.

A new group of atheists has arisen in society. Called the new atheists, they are not content to keep their views to themselves.

That's right. The door-knockin', rabidly proselytizing cult is rebuking atheists for not keeping their views to themselves.

I guess that's fair. Twice now I've watched in anticipation as the local JWs do their thing, working their way up the street, only to see them look at my house, check a piece of paper they carried with them, and turn around to leave. There was also a third time when a couple actually knocked on my door, started their little spiel, and I interrupted them to tell them I was an atheist, would they like to come in and talk about freedom from religion? And they ran away.

So it's true, I suppose, that they do have limits on the expression of their views."

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I think they will always publish some sort of Rag as that keeps the 'rank and file' as Brooklyn calls them, BUSY.

They will adapt late and reluctantly to the internet, ipads, iphones and what ever may be next.

They are the masters at double talk and forked tongue, can succesfully rewrite their own 'history' so that it is seldom questioned or even looked at.

They have done 180 degree turns before and sold it, they will do it again.

Sadly, i don't see them shutting down at all. Downsizing and becoming more controlling yes, but gone, no.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit