With modern technology how long can the truly keep going?

by life is to short 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was listening to the radio yesterday and the DJ's were talking about the Kindle and ipad and iphone. They gave the number on how many are using them over reading books and news papers. One DJ said you can put a thousand books into the Kindle and off yougo. They said even one news paper is going to stop printing and just come out on the iphone.

Our local news paper is so small now. And it keeps getting smaller and smaller.

One of the DJ's said she does not have a ipad or iphone but it is on her wish list.

I was sort of surprised that the DJ did not have it as of yet. But it got me to thinking. How long can the WT go on?

I mean who reads it? I just grabbed two of my husbands magazines. The February Awake has articles such as "The truth about the Occult" "Young people ask Why won't my parents let me have fun?" "Safety tips for the elderly" "Was it designed?The Bacterial Flagellum" The public WT was much the same.

In todays age are people sitting at home thinking how can I keep mom safe so she can stay at home longer and then the next thing happens is a JW knocks on the door and hands them the Awake and the householder says 'God answered my prayers'. No any normal person pops on the internet and checks out what is available for the elderly. Or for some insane reason you have a question about bacterial flagellum so you sit and wait for the friendly JW to bring you the latest Awake? No you go to the internet

I truly see them running out of time. They are just not keeping up with modern technology peer and simple, nor do they seem to want to.

The WT is a publishing company, it was started as one and is still one. But they are running of things to publish. What will they do have the JW's going door to door telling people to down load the books and magazines at www.JW.org on their iphones? I just do not see how they can reinvent themselves at this point as they have waited to long.

LITS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Of course, if they put the rags online and had people simply download them if interested, that would allow the witlesses to actually do something other than field circus. And, they don't want to lose a way to waste people's time.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Can someone post the Bacterial Flagellum article, I'm sure they're not referencing the Kitzmiller v. Dover trial where the Bacterial Flagellum was proven as having evolved from a lesser bacteria.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Tuesday

I do not know how to do post maybe someone else can but you can go to www.jw.org and read it or you can download it. Sorry I am so not tech savvy.

WTWizard they have to be careful about telling the members to go to the internet one slip and you wind up here and out of the religion.

That is what happened to me. I just see them between a rock and a hard place.

LITS

• wobble
    wobble

Knowledge is their enemy, and is easily available on the Internet, which the younger generation will grow up with as a default way of getting answers, they don't even consult Mum and Dad now, just google it.

I do wonder if the GB have realised that their tenure is short because of this, so they have come up with a short term stop-gap "Overlapping Generation" doctrine to keep things going in thier lifetime, I am sure they are that cynical, I am not so sure that they are that aware of the true import of the Internet though, they are techno-dynosaurs to a great degree, and certainly do not know how things are going in the real world.

Their days are numbered, but it won't happen quick enough for me.

• life is to short
    life is to short

wobbie you are so right. I was at Brooklyn Bethel in the early 90's and they were such techno-dinosaurs it is almost an understatement. The 20 somethings at Bethel were running with technology and the older ones were trying to slow them down as fast as they could.

When we were first out of Bethel there was this stupid elder in his late 30's who loved anything tech and he had two or three computer and every thing else that was out there at the time. One of his favorite commits at the meeting was how advanced Bethel was with everything. He would say if we have it they have it ten times better. I would just sit there shaking my head. NO! I even tried to tell him and he totally blew me off almost like I was apostate for saying that they were dinosaurs.

I reminded him I had just came back from Bethel and he had never been THERE! But he would not listen to me. He was hot stuff in the hall, single and had his groupies of sister chasing him and what he said was like Jehovah saying it.

No one would believe me. I wonder if JW's still feel that Bethel is on top of the tech world. Let me tell you if it was like it was in the early 90's they are to far behind to catch up now.

Time will tell but I am not seeing anything.

LITS

• alanv
    alanv

It's an interesting thought. If a householder said no to the magazines, do any of the witnesses tell the householders that they can read the mags online if they prefer.

Presumably the society would be very against them doing that, as it stops the dollers coming in.

• life is to short
    life is to short

alanv That is exactly my thinking. With the internet and ipad and iphone there will be no true money coming in.

The cash cow is going to dry up. I can see it no other way, maybe I am seeing something wrong because you do have to pay for Kindle books maybe they will say we have to pay for the downloads.

Come to think of it they have said that we should pay each time we download. I forgot. Maybe that is it. They said each time someone downloads it costs so many pennies and we should be giving for that. Maybe they will work on the aspect of it.

LITS

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hey there LITS,

I just don't see non-JW's waisting time or money to down load that stuff, I had two separate visits

this month ( the mags were stuffed in my door ) and each publisher left the same january mags

they are doin' hit and runs now but eventually I will catch them at the door and let them know

not to leave me any cause I can read them off of their website. They say the reason they go d2d

is because that's the way it's done in the bible, There is no telephone witnessing in the bible

but they do that, so why not do all of the modern technology that's available ?

• life is to short
    life is to short

waeslind If the reason they go d2d is because that is what they did in Bible times then do they drive cars, and use in door toilets. Why not live like the Amish or why do they use their cell phone they did not have them in Bible times.

OMG they use any stupid reasons they can when backed into a corner but the fact is modern technology is passing them by. They will not look like the quaint religion that people buy quilts from they will look like the cult they are.

LITS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit