Inside District Convention Arena: Place an Ad

by Red Piller 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

I realized that I didn't state this properly on my last post..... You always see ads in the DC arenas. How about one that everyone will see for 3 days runnning? No commentary, just a picture. You can use the 1984 generation awake.I am partial to the one below.

I say we try it not worry about whether it will be effective or not. (This cover really made an impact on my waking up. )We can have a trusted member of the JWN collect the contributions and arrange with an arena. A plus would be to have someone on site to gauge reactions.

One thing. Maybe underneath it we add a quote from the July 2009 Awake on not having to choose between "a way of worship and your family."

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

THAT would be an interesting feature of the DC. I wonder if they would have brothers standing around it to block it from view. They commonly do that at our DC's with the "apostates". They will stand around them so that no one gets too close.

• donuthole
    donuthole

Haven't been to a District Convention in a few years but in this area I remember that they always use to drape cloths over the advertisements in the convention center.

• laverite
    laverite

The copyright issue is one to consider. A short quote with the source/bibliographic info would be "faire use." I wonder if this would be too close for comfort though...Fueling the persecution complex they have?

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Maybe we can arrange to have it so that it is too high to block. Or if someone tries to block it, we can complain to to management that "our ad is being tampered with."

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

I am still an active witness. They do not drape over ads. Probably they got into trouble with management, since their advertisers would want a refund - I would think....

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Interesting thought.

I imagine the arena makes more money from the JW convention, an organization that they see as good, honest, clean, and that leaves the faciltiy in better condition than it was when they arrived, than they would from such an advertisment.

I doubt the arena would allow advertising that was an intentional attack on the renters. If they didn't know that was the purpose, they would learn as soon as the JW's arrived to prepare the facility and I would imagine would have permission to at the very least cover the advertisment.

• sd-7
    sd-7

I would've thought the May 15, 1984 Watchtower cover would be more appropriate. Especially in light of the April 15, 2010 WT change and all. Maybe even a friendly reminder of the Reasoning book's statements on this issue. It would be ironic to watch Witnesses literally tearing down Witness literature. That's got to be something worth putting on YouTube if it ever happened at a convention.

--sd-7

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

I wonder about fair use, also. Maybe we could have someone knowledgeable advise on this? I'm sure there is some leeway to allow for commentary...Especially since the art work used is over 40 years old.

I like it since many do not know the history of these predictions. I realized this when I talked to someone was converted during the past 10 years. They had no clue about the 1914 generation dying off and what it was supposed to mean. As a born in, I forget that's possible if you came on board after 1995.

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

wannabefree - you could be right. I still say we give it a try. We have nothing to lose by talking to arena management.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit