When did the "other sheep" class begin to form?

by Vanderhoven7 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Is there anything in WTS literature as to which century the alleged non-anointed class of the WTS began to form?

I thought it was early on in the 20th century.

Am I wrong?

Vander

• elderelite
    elderelite

1935 onward, according to the revelation book.. but Jesus referanced this class almost 2000 years before when he spoke of "other sheep" who were not of the annointed fold..

• therevealer
    therevealer

But of course the parable that they used in support of that was found to "have nothing to do with that" or some such. I just loved that article and should look it up and post it. The problem is/was that they tied it in with the finalizing of the 144,000 which came to be problematic with the increase of the partakers.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** w84 2/15 pp. 17-18 par. 10 The Recent Pen for “Other Sheep” ***

It is thus appreciated that the Fine Shepherd Jesus Christ did not proceed to bring in the “other sheep” of John 10:16 in the first century when the circumcised Samaritans began to be converted to Christianity. Nor did he do so when the Roman centurion, the uncircumcised Gentile Cornelius, was converted about 36 C.E. Well, then, when did the Fine Shepherd set out to bring together his other sheep? Many centuries later, yes, in this 20th century, according to the facts of the case.—Acts 8:4-17; 10:9-48.

*** dp chap. 17 p. 292 par. 12 Identifying True Worshipers in the Time of the End ***

The anointed remnant set about gathering the remaining number of the 144,000 joint heirs of Christ. (Romans 8:16, 17; Revelation 7:3, 4) When that work was completed—evidently by the mid-1930’s—they began gathering the “great crowd” of “other sheep.” (Revelation 7:9; John 10:16)

*** jv chap. 16 p. 243 Meetings for Worship, Instruction, and Encouragement ***

Particularly beginning in the 1930’s, prospective members of the “great multitude,” or “great crowd” of other sheep, began to manifest themselves. (Rev. 7:9, 10, KJ; John 10:16) These were at that time referred to as Jonadabs.

*** w98 5/1 p. 15 par. 8 Who Will “Get Away Safe”? ***

The sealing of the anointed appears to be well advanced, and since the 1930’s a great crowd of meek ones with an earthly hope have appeared on the scene. (Revelation 7:3, 9)

• I quit!
    I quit!

Like much of what the Watchtower does it was a revelation of convenience. When they had about 200,000 people claiming to be of the 144,000 they had to come up with something so they decided to come up with another class of Christians so they went digging through the Bible for a scripture they could twist to back up their new idea. Like many false prophets the Watchtower is very short sighted. They didn't think what would happen in the future if they were wrong because they never expected to be wrong. They believed Christ had already returned and shortly the faithful guys of old would be living in San Diego spending their weekends sailing on Mission Bay or laying on the beach working on their tans. Obvious to all but the Witnesses none of their prophecies about the end of the world and Christ return ever came true or would come true so there they were in the 1930s with their numbers increasing so they created the other sheep class. Now they weren't lock in with a number. Problem solved.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

Their very clear biblical hermeneutics never cease to amaze me. They really pull this from the air. It's actually amazing that people (me included) believed this and STILL DO!!!

• Ding
    Ding

The real problem was that when the WTS began grow to way beyond 144,000 under Rutherford, he had to figure out what to do with them all.

I consider the anointed/other sheep, heavenly/earthly class system to be nonbiblical WT nonsense, but I'm trying to get a handle on what the WT really teaches on this.

Didn't Jesus say, "I HAVE other sheep..." not "I AM GOING TO HAVE other sheep...?"

What about the believing Jews who died before Jesus came?

According to the WTS, didn't they always have an earthly -- rather than heavenly -- hope?

So are they included in the "other sheep," or are they in a separate category?

• trevor
    trevor

The Great Crowd

Up until 1935, the Society had claimed that their entire membership would go to heaven, quoting from Revelation 7:4 to show that the literal number of 144,000 would go to heaven. As their membership had now passed 60,000 they realized the need to allow for expansion. They achieved this in 1935 by announcing that, in addition to the chosen few there was also a “great multitude or crowd” who would not go to heaven, but grow to human perfection and live forever on earth with the resurrected men of old. This was based on a “new truth” regarding their interpretation of Revelation 7:9 which refers to a “great crowd.”

This great crowd could not have direct communication with God, but could only gain salvation through association with the chosen ones in the Society. Thus they now claimed to have replaced Jesus as the only way to salvation. From this time on, most Witnesses could only look forward to life on earth. They could only be granted everlasting life by total obedience to the Society. They were to follow its dictates to the letter. If they in any way questioned its decisions or interpretations, they would be expelled. As there were now two classes, one with a belief that they would live forever on earth, the other with a heavenly hope, how would anyone know which class they were in?

The directors at head office decided that they themselves would go to heaven, and in line with this status, retained their title of elder. Each congregation had until then, been run by members who had been voted in to the position of elder, by the other congregation members. They were now stripped of this title, and told that all congregations were to be run by company servants appointed by head office. The Society had, in one move, taken away these men’s positions as elders chosen by each congregation, and at the same time the hope of heavenly life for nearly all the members. This position was now reserved for the directors. In view of the higher class they were now in, they would make all future decisions regarding congregation matters. This gave the Watchtower Society total control.

Finding suitable candidates of this calling to replace those who leave or pass away, has contributed to the drop in the number of men in the Governing Body from 18 to 10 at present. These men consider themselves to be the “faithful and discreet slave” that Jesus is said to have returned to gather in 1914. What is curious is that the latest member was not born until 1941, or baptised until 1959! Needless to say, the members who had loyally devoted their lives to the organization were deeply hurt. The Watchtower Society had come a long way from their original roots as a sincere group of Bible students, under the direction of Pastor Russell. Too far for many – and they left as they had done ten years earlier in 1925, when the date for Armageddon had again proved to be a false prophecy.

Taken from: Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses. By Trevor Willis. A free download is available. If you are interested, go to Lulu.com and type or paste into the search box the number 5456415

• I quit!
    I quit!
    This great crowd could not have direct communication with God, but could only gain salvation through association with the chosen ones in the Society. Thus they now claimed to have replaced Jesus as the only way to salvation

Like many Jdubs I didn't know that Christ wasn't my mediator. I didn't learn till after I was out he had been replaced by the Cracker Eating Class.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Wow. Thanks for the clear responses. I'm about to use the evidence provided in the url below to counter what appears to be intentional JW deception (war strategy). I'm calling on this seasoned JW to substantiate his statements denying that there were less that 150,000 faithful Christians who existed prior to the 20th Century.

Thanks again....and thanks for those quotes Leolaia

Please feel free to chip in at:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit