On taking offense and taking responsibility

by Lion Cask 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I LOVED that analogy and I'm offended that you're apologizing for it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I'm with Mad Sweeney. There's really no need to apologize for opinions. Sure, using personal information about family or insulting something that someone revealed to become vulnerable is over the top, but just posting our thoughts is not.

We've got people that hear voices and people that swear aliens are coming within months (or years, I dunno) and we have people who swear they had personal experiences with God and people who swear there is no God. We have people who are either emotional, rational, faithful, scientific, logical, or the opposites of all or some of that.

I posted a thread once (http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/198240/1/Lets-settle-this-once-and-for-all)
    and had this to say:

Okay, so let's settle this once and for all....

Is it okay to post skepticism and disbelief in what people post (without violating posting rules)?
    Is it okay to expect only warm, positive, supportive replies to comments on JWN?
    Can we actually expect to "settle this once and for all..." by posting authoritative comments?
    When posters are pontificating or stating opinions more so than inquiring of others, can we agree that it is okay to disagree, and that such disagreements might get "nasty" but at the end of the thread, we should all put it behind us?

It's just a semi-public thread on a very open internet. You can say that the Bible is loaded with crap without worrying about your comment causing someone to commit suicide.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

[Long response removed after I decided that I was going off-topic to the OP]

So I'll just say this: The corn analogy... Colorful. Maybe disgusting to some, but colorful. Not offensive - to me at least. Now, if you had posted PHOTOS... That would be different.

-Aude.

• foodalls
    foodalls

How can you have such thing as a "Benevolent-Dictatorship" in the first place???Benevolence denotes something "Kind" or Loving..Nurturing...What is kind and loving and nuturing about a Dictatorship???

• beksbks
    beksbks
    How can you have such thing as a "Benevolent-Dictatorship" in the first place???Benevolence denotes something "Kind" or Loving..Nurturing...What is kind and loving and nuturing about a Dictatorship???

Parenthood

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Parenthood

Good one. Made me smile.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What Beks said: your parents' behavior makes so much more sense after you become one!

@Lioncask:

Yes, it is too easy to inadvertently offend those we disagree with. That's why it behooves us to remember the chips on our own shoulders. I know I have my own hot buttons, and that I need to back off when somebody starts pressing them. Most of the time, it isn't intentional. So do unto others, etc.

• tec
    tec

Well... I got the point that you were making, even though I did think the analogy a bit vulgar. So while I wouldn't have asked, and didn't expect it... I appreciate/accept both the acknowledgment and the apology.

Tammy

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

I retire with the satisfaction of knowing I've reached at least one of those to whom I wanted to apologize and that my apology has been accepted.

Good night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit