On taking offense and taking responsibility

by Lion Cask 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

The Darth Plagueis soap opera is already winding down. The hapless Plagueis, it seems, said some naughty words that contravened the Posting Guidelines and he has brought down on his head the wrath of the owner and his moderators. Regardless, this is not about the benevolent dictatorship that is JWN but about standards of behaviour, permissiveness and tolerance and what, exactly, causes offense. It is also about owning the consequences of what we have to say.

If I was to list the most insufferable characteristics of the righteously religious, at the very top would be sacrimoneous indignation. In my experience a serious but respectful challenge to what a righteous individual believes, particularly if put forward with evidence, knowledge and conviction, has the potential to precipitate rage. Not putting a too delicate or politically correct spin on it, the Muslims have some of the most graphic examples within their ranks - say something even mildly critical or irreverant about the Prophet and you can expect not only rage but a fatwah on your life. Not quite as intolerant toward those who dare not believe what they believe are some within the WTS. There is nothing quite as transparent as the tremulous look of contempt on the face of a Watchtower elder seriously confronted with the truth about The Truth. The complexion of the thing changes, however, when words are disrespectful and taking offense is justified.

In a currently active thread entitled: I need a show of hands: who believes the Bible and to what extent?, the following post was made:

There are most definitely elements of truth in the Bible, otherwise it would not be credible at all, even to the gullible. But I might liken those elements of truth to the undigested kernels of corn one might see in feces - they're still edible, but I'm not too interested in picking them out before I flush it all down the toilet where it belongs.

While the post may push the envelope of vulgarity, it does not apparently violate the Posting Guidelines, but it's a safe bet that there are those who would find the comment deeply offensive. Far more offensive, perhaps, than Plagueis' potty mouth - particularly to those gentle souls who regard the Bible and its contents with a deep, abiding love and reverance. But after two days, narry a comment, doubtless because it absolutely deserves none.

I can say with complete certainty that the poster's intent was not to offend and that he later had sober second thoughts about his sense of decorum and the appropriateness of his words. I know this because the words are mine. They may express my perspectives unambiguously but they are also disrespectful, for which I may expect to be disrespected in kind. Ye reap what ye sow.

To those who I offended, though none have yet spoken up, my apologies.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I'm offended at the suggestion that one should take responsibility!!!!

Now, what were we talking about?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A very eloquent apology and I have nothing more to say other than try not to beat yourself up about it.

• beksbks
    beksbks

I'm offended. I think you should send flowers and candy to smooth my feathers.

• Violia
    Violia

Lion,

Your words were not disrespectful or mean-spirited. This is a discussion board and we discuss and debate. Sometimes things get heated. In the WTS we could not do this. We could only answer the question as it appeared in the paragraph of the WT magazines.

You are so right, there is nothing more offensive than the self righteous. I personally include in them the born agains and the 12 steppers who trun it into a religion etc.

I feel for Brother Darth, hoping he can make his way back here. He is really a sweetie.

V

• jay88
    jay88

You know I felt bad for the dollar comment I made on your thread, not because of the comment but because it was your thread.

forgive me,

Jay

P.S.---the corn thing left an impression, still lmao,---please don't neuter your sense of humor.

• Gregor
    Gregor

(Great vocabulary, thanks for the sampler but you need to work on being more succinct)

After chewing through the above stream of conciousness statement I can only offer the observation that DP has posted a lot of borderline (by the site guidelines) stuff and I have even wondered if he/she was testing the mods. limits.

Your putting the subject into the framework of conflict between the religious/non religious is irrelevant to why DP has been banned. Your final comment needs clarification. Did you write DP's offending comments?

• VIII
    VIII

I feel a banning coming.

Lion Cask said:

this is not about the benevolent dictatorship that is JWN

BTW, that is very eloquent.

I also enjoyed this statement:

most insufferable characteristics of the righteously religious, at the very top would be sacrimoneous indignation. In my experience a serious but respectful challenge to what a righteous individual believes, particularly if put forward with evidence, knowledge and conviction, has the potential to precipitate rage.

Very well put.

Now, as to what you said about the bible and corn, well--EWWW.

I'm never going to look at corn the same.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

Hey there, Gregor. No, I didn't write Plagueis' words. I am apologising only for my own. You are apparently not one of those who might take offense to the Bible being likened to excrement, so my post wasn't meant for you anyway.

You've evidently missed the point of what I had to say, or you have been offended by it. Whatever. In future I will try to be more succinct (and clearer). Thank you for the coaching.

• Lion Cask
    Lion Cask

this is not about the benevolent dictatorship that is JWN

It can be nothing else, VIII, because the board would not have endured as long as it has otherwise.

Now, as to what you said about the bible and corn, well--EWWW.

Yeah. Mea culpa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit