2011 Yearbook (2010 Grand Totals) Stats

by Inside Man 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Caminante
    Caminante

Yes, InterestedOne, there is no laity/clergy distinction in the Watchtower organization indeed, at least not in the same way there is in the Catholic Church, for example, but, of course, some individuals have more privileges than others and there is a very solid hierarchical structure, similar to the corporate organizational chart of a multinational business entity. So that's a different type of distinction. Nevertheless, it has the same function of the classic laity/clergy division.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes I think it means members of the Religious Order of Jehovah's Witnesses. That phrase doesn't exactly drop off the tongue of a regular Witness. I wonder if you have to swear and oath to become a member. I guess they make a "poverty" vow but don't call it an oath.

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

Where can I find the details of the ordination process? What makes the 20,000 or so people that the receive the title "ordained ministers" different from the rest of the JW's who are also called "ordained ministers?" It's confusing to use the same term for two different sets of people. Is this information publicly available? If not, why not? As far as I know, you can look up this information in other common religions to find out what the procedure is for a priest or pastor to become "ordained."

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I just looked at the yearbook page 51. The wording at the bottom of the page is as follows:

"Worldwide, a total of 20,062 ordained ministers staff the branch facilities. All are members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's Witnesses."

I see here that the term "ordained ministers" is not exclusive to these 20,062 people. The sentence merely says that they are ordained ministers, not that other JW's aren't. The distinction is that they are members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants. I'd still be curious as to what the process is for a person to become part of this Worldwide Order.

• Caminante
    Caminante

InterestedOne, you must have been confused by Inside Man's choice of words. Let me make it into plain English. At conventions and assemblies there is the baptismal talk, where the baptismal candidates stand and answer a big "YES" to the two baptismal questions. Then the speaker tells them that by their affirmative answer they are eligible for baptism as "ordained ministers of Jehovah God". Most protestant denominations agree to this so-called "universal priesthood of all believers".

In the Watchtower organization there are publishers (unbaptized and baptized), pioneers (auxiliary, regular, and special), ministerial servants, elders, traveling overseers (circuit and district overseers), branch personnel (a."Bethel family" members). In the 2011 Yearbook, on the bottom of page 31, there is the following text printed: "Worldwide, a total of 20,062 ordained ministers staff the branch facilities. All are members of the Worldwide Order of Special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah’s Witnesses." This expression implies two things: (1) all these 20,062 Bethel family members are baptized as Witnesses of Jehovah, and (2) they are members of this order (terms & conditions apply to membership and appointments are invitation-only). Requirements for different tasks within Bethel service are varying. Basic requirements are exemplary status in the congregation (which applies for all the privileges), and a certain amount of time in regular pioneer service.

• Caminante
    Caminante

Seems I was a bit late with that previous answer of mine :P

• Caminante
    Caminante

At conventions there is a meeting with those who consider applying for Bethel service. I never took part at such meetings, so I can't go into further detail. But apparently that's when one finds out basic details about the road to this process :P

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Just remember, there are lies, damned lies and statistics...

;)

• minimus
    minimus

SLIPPY!!

• clearpoison
    clearpoison

Thanks for collected stats

Funny detail about memorial attendance

Attendants +2,96%

Partakers +3,18%

Which btw is also higher than increase in publishers

I just love to hate the statistics