"Look it wasn't a global flood.."

by Qcmbr 118 Replies latest watchtower bible

• laverite
    laverite

LOL Bro. Dan. I'll have to look at some more of the gay clips from that show.

• cofty
    cofty

Absolutely not! They will believe the WT over the Bible. If the Bible says one thing, and the WT makes it say something else, the good JW will choose the WT every time. I respect belief in an inerrant Bible very much. It takes quite a lot of courage.

Surely you can see the double-think you are indulging in?

The point is tha both biblical literalists and JWs are willing to believe things despite proof to the contrary. Its what happens when you commit your mind to a concept. Bible/watchtower the principle is the same. Free your mind brodan, believe nothing without proof.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

And what happens when that "proof" changes? When new things are discovered? When things that you thought were "proof" are proven false? Like I've said, I refuse to take an atheist stand. And if I reject the Bible I can't be like the others that move on to some other sort of spirituality. I have a spiritual need that is filled by God and His Word.

Like Tammy has said in this thread, science is not god and it can be proven wrong.

• cofty
    cofty
    science is not god and it can be proven wrong.

What do you think the chances are of the facts that prove the earth is not flat being proved wrong? Or how about the fact that the earth revolves around the sun and not vice-versa?

There are a huge number of thngs that science knows that are in the same category as these proven facts. The age of the earth and the lack of a global flood at any time in the plane's history is among those absolute certainties.

Some people of faith like to pretend otherwise and manage to sustain that by avoiding real science and having their delusions massaged by charlatans like Ken Hamm and his ilk. You escaped the borg by facing up to facts that were previously being denied from you however painful that was. What happened?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    I respect belief in an inerrant Bible very much. It takes quite a lot of courage.

It takes quite a bit of courage to wear a banana hammock to the waterpark but it doesn't mean I respect the guy who does it.

And what happens when that "proof" changes? When new things are discovered? When things that you thought were "proof" are proven false?
    science is not god and it can be proven wrong

Thankfully, science makes no claims to being God. If anything it is humble. Not the scientists, per se, but the method, which IS science. It thrives on scrutiny. Science is progressive specifically because it must face the truth when theories are refuted by sufficient evidence... and move on.

Many religionists, on the other hand, choose to reject evidence that conflicts with their presuppositions as long as they can. When that's no longer possible, it may become necessary to twist beliefs to fit a square peg through a round hole. (See JW "generations" teaching or new earth creationist explanations for dinosaurs.)

And if I reject the Bible I can't be like the others that move on to some other sort of spirituality.

Then you should be able to empathize with those who drop the WT and, soon thereafter, their belief in Holy Writings as well.

Annnnd there goes my goal of not getting involved in these kinds of debates this year. [facepalm]

• cofty
    cofty

Well you lasted 24 days - not bad

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Quickly put: There were local floods in Mesoptamia that informed the Mesopotamian version of the 'flood myth' and this Mesopotamian myth was an influence on the biblical stories, which relate stories of a universal, not local, flood.

There are many evidences of a young earth including fish fossils on top of high mountains.

Such fossils are really evidence that sedimentary rock "on top of high mountains" originated below sea level. Geologists understand quite well that gradual tectonic uplift produces this. The Himalayas are a good example because these mountains arose via the northward collision of the Indo-Australian Plate into the Eurasian Plate, folding the ocean floor of the Tethys Ocean and lifting it along the convergent plate boundary (as opposed to other plate boundaries where subduction of the seafloor occurs). The majority of the uplifted rock, meanwhile, was eroded away via yearly monsoons to produce the many foothills and landforms south of the Himalayas. To have this all occur in just 4,000 years involves an impossible speed of plate movement (e.g. the Indo-Australian Plate moving miles per year instead of the 68 milimeters per year it currently moves) and an impossible amount of water erosion produced by the monsoon rains. The "superearthquakes" necessary to raise about 225 vertical miles of rock (over 40 times the height of Mount Everest) into the sky over a few centuries and the water erosion (think: constant daily torrential floods) needed to keep pace with this thrust are physically impossible, nor could any civilization survive this centuries-long catastrophe in ancient India, much less in neighboring lands.

• HintOfLime
    HintOfLime
    There are many evidences of a young earth including fish fossils on top of high mountains.

Seriously... you do realize these fossilized fish aren't just 'sitting there' on the top of mountains - these fossils are usually buried deep in sediment layers, confirmed by multiple radiometric dating techniques to be significantly older than "a couple thousand years".

We know what your bible says. Mathmatically, comparing it's story to our observable reality simply does not add up. Ye Olde Bible says "1+1=1,000,000,000", when everybody knows 1+1=2.

Until creationists can identify a real physical or mathmatical error is in radiocarbon dating - until they have a sound explaination accounting for the factor-of-a-million error between reality and what the bible says 'should be', and thus why it should be discarded as an acheological tool - you're just another apologist blindly making excuses... and it is utterly unconvincing.

- Lime

EDIT: Leolaia beat me to the punch. :P

• BurnTheShips
  • Liberty93
    Liberty93

Or perhaps many of the prophets understood that the idea of a global flood had an interior spiritual reality that had nothing to do with literal tales.

http://thealeph.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95&Itemid=113

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit