How many elders, HLC members know CPR?

by just n from bethel 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

Anyone who has ever taken a first aid class knows that CPR training and first aid training are basic life saving requirements for anyone in the professional medical community. If you were ever discussing any medical choices with someone who wanted to advise you on a medical / health decision, you would want to be comfortable that if something were to happen to you all the sudden, that this person you were seeking advice from could provide basic medical aid, like CPR. If it's a nurse or a doctor or a paramedic, you would expect that they would know what to do. It just goes without saying.

Now for JWs, when a medical situation comes up involving blood, who do they think of calling first? The elders and then possibly hlc. Yet how many of these guys are even trained in basic first aid or CPR? How many of these guys are in piss poor shape themselves? heavy drinkers? Don't work out? Eat like Crap? Yet these are the guys that millions of JWs turn to when discussing very important life or death medical decisions. Yet, if right in the middle of signing a JW having an elder sign his blood card, the JW stops breathing, the elder couldn't administer any basic help to save his life.

My wife was in pioneer school, and someone had a medical episode at lunch; neither of the pioneer school instructors knew what to do. Luckily a sister in the pioneer school was a retired nurse and saved the day.

Stop breathing? Have a heart attack? choking? You're shit out of luck. Want advice on hematology and the deep inner workings of medical use of blood - all the sudden these guys are experts that believe they can go head to head with people that have spent years studying medicine and health.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

They are just taught JW knowledge. Spent lots of time with a few when I was a pro no blood JW nurse that helped JW's and non JW's understand. The ones I talked to had JW literature to explain things and that was as far as there medical knowledge went.... makes me sick

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

You are right. Just the title made me smile as it's something I've never thought about.

I have been CPR certified (but past time to renew my training). On a very basic level, it shows love and regard for the people that you care about (children, family, friends, neighbors, parishioners/congregation members) as, more often than not, the person that will need your assistance is someone you already know.

I would venture to guess that not many elders have taken a CPR course. And even less are current on their certifications.

My dad was an exception - sort of. Back in the early 70's he took CPR and First Aid courses (and Dale Carnegie courses) in order to advance his 'Theocratic Career'. We kids were told to keep quiet about his classes as he didn't want the 'brothers' to know. He got his wish - about a year or two after baptism he ran the infirmiry for our circuit (reported to an untrained but established elder and they both got counsel and assistance from an MD who was also in our circuit).

We kids took the admonishment to not tell anyone so seriously that I think this is the first time I'm telling ANYONE about it~!!

I don't think my dad *ever* updated his training, though. But he still considers himself trained to handle emergencies.

And maybe he is more capaple than most. I have no way of knowing.

-Aude.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Found Sheep - you have a pm.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Our KH had designated qualified first aiders for every meeting and everyone knew who we were. Most of us were trained through work or at our own expense and without exception all of us were sisters! Qualified and certificated to administer emergency treatment for accidents or illness but not considered capable of passing a microphone!!!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    Qualified and certificated to administer emergency treatment for accidents or illness but not considered capable of passing a microphone!!!

Isn't that just soo crazy?

I ran a million dollar private health practice. Professionals called and respected my advise and suggestions. But I was not qualified to assist behind the literature counter (except for in my teens when my dad wanted help with inventory at midnight after a Thursday night meeting).

I worked in radio as a producer and board engineer but was not qualified to touch the sound board at the Hall.

-Aude.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Aude, that is crazy! Makes no sense at all.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh, you know why. In bOrgdom no penis = no brain.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I don't see the connection between guidance on the blood issue and CPR ?

However, there is a good case for a designated First Aider being assigned for every type of K.Hall meeting or training school, as they are at Circuit Assemblies

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

It's simple - Elders and HLC members give advice on lifesaving medical procedures using blood. Quite a complex subject, to dabble into hematology with no formal training - I think you'd agree?

But how many elders who go around giving talks, presenting themselves as "first responders" as it were when a medical situation (w/ blood) arises, would even know the basics of first aid?

Bottom line - few if any any elders or hlc members have any medical training. Yet they are in a position (thanks to WT) to give guidance on some extremely complex medical procedures, involving life or death.

I mean ask yourself this: You're a JW and your baby isn't breathing, who do you go to or call? most of the time, trained medical personnel - right. Would anybody really call the elders? Now if your baby isn't healing from cuts and scrapes and the blood issue comes up - now you call the elders? The ones that likely couldn't even resuscitate your child ... they're going to be the ones that give you medical advice on even more complex matters???

If WT wants elders to give any medical advice - they should be medically trained. period. But most HLC members don't even have basic medical training - first aid? nope. CPR? Nope. Hematology? Why yes, I'm an expert - how can I help?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit