My conversation and growing friendship with a 68 year old Witness (a victim of the '75 lie) Most older witnesses know something isnt 'right.'

by Joliette 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Joliette
    Joliette

Great friendship that I'm growing with a older woman here in Milwaukee.

She's a really nice woman. I like talking to her, and she tells me that she tries to listen to the 'younger folks.' She said, she actually enjoys talking

to the younger people more than the older people, cause the older people are so stuck in their ways, and so judgemental. She's retired, does

artwork as a hobby, she has been in some artshows, and she goes out in field service time to time. She became a baptized Jehovah's Witnesses in

1965. She's from Arkansas but she moved to Milwaukee when she was 18. She centered her life aroung the whole 1975 thing, and never went to

college, hardly worked,because her husband didnt want her to work (her husband was an elder) but not deceased. She never saved for her future,

lives in low income housing, and lives around a bunch of JW's sisters who she says are crazy! She said, it makes her angry how the older witnesses

wont listening to what the younger people say and feel. She said she knows that something is wrong with the organization, but now she's too old

to do anything about it. She encouraged to keep searching and looking, and to keep praying. She knows that there things that the

society has kept from the witnesses, and she's happy that its being exposed.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Good for her and you!!!

I've spoken with some JW's who are very dissatisfied with the WT.

The walls are crumbling, one brick at a time.

Syl

• Joliette
    Joliette

Thanks snowbird. She's an older black lady (I'm african-american) and something thats a little different with the black congregations: Their more brainwashed from what I see, and they meddle a lot. Not saying that they dont do it at the other congregations, but its something about the black congregations that really is distribing.

• Gregor
    Gregor

She said she knows that something is wrong with the organization, but now she's too old...

I strongly feel that this is more common among JWs than we realize. Between age and extended family entanglements it just doesn't make sense for them to take a stand now.

The most damning indictment of the WTB&TS comes from simply being a long time member who has seen just how flimsy and shallow the "Truth" has proven to be.

The threat of DF'ing is still the strongest and most consistent doctrine they have to hold people in.

• Gayle
    Gayle

The organization produces a very small town atmosphere for each small congregation. Small towns are typically "gossipy." It can become their very small world, even if it is in a large city. The organization keeps congregations very small for control benefits. Then, the organization preaches against college, pursing any other interest much, not to associate with anyone other than their very small group. It is like a social, psycological "moat" (full of alligators) around each small congregation.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Joliette

That is so great that you are doing that. I am in my 40's and I made a friends with a worldly woman who was in her 90's her mind was as sharp as anyones. I worked for her cleaning her home and then we just became friends, we went to lunch, the movies, etc. She had so much knowledge to give as she had lived through so much.

I loved visiting with her and her take on religion was so good. I was talking with her one time about the "truth" and I was crying. I was so depressed. She said to me "honey sit down, what you must understand is that, that religion is nothing but a dam cult that you were born into, it is nothing more than that and for you to be so down that you want to end your life is crazy."

I was laughing so hard when she was done talking.

I do have to say that I do not think it is a black or African-American thing. I was in a black congregation and some were very nice and very kind, they had their heads on very straight and I have been in white halls where they are as crazy as anything.

I am white and I just think it is people. I just think there are a lot of very strange JW's. I can think right now of one older white lady who is in her 70's I have known her since I was a little kid and she is the most judgemental busy body you would ever want to met. She can be nice but she can turn on you on a dime.

So that is just my take. People are people and some love to be fooled.

LITS

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Joliette,

I am also an African American, what disturbs me about this religion, is that why would

any black person look down on furthering their education, when there was a

time in our history when we would be whipped or killed just for learning how to

read or write, education is one of the main routes to a better life,

The congregation I attended was made up of mostly black, and the elders wives

were meddlesome as hell, how dare they tell me that my daughter should not attend

college because of bad association, they have been so brainwashed that they have

forgotten how hard we had to fight for the priviledge to have an education

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Thanks snowbird. She's an older black lady (I'm african-american) and something thats a little different with the black congregations: Their more brainwashed from what I see, and they meddle a lot. Not saying that they dont do it at the other congregations, but its something about the black congregations that really is distribing.

I know; I'm Black, also.

I used to be very judgmental, and my little JW daughter can be a total turn-off when she's in full cult mode.

We live in a very small place with some hard-core JW's, but I'm beginning to notice cracks in their armor.

Syl

• wasblind
    wasblind

" People are people and some love to be fooled."

LITS, that is so true

especially when they leave and then return

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hear! Hear!

WasBlind, you just said a mouthful!

What comes to my mind is the little slave girl who learned to read while fanning the young son of the master during his tutoring sessions, or the son of ex-slaves who taught himself while recuperating from a painful affliction that rendered him lame in both feet.

Both went on to become notable educators.

I say, pee on the WT and any others who discourage education.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit