Do all religions think there's is the only true one?

by Snoozy 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Last night we discussed the idea that Christ cleared the temple because he wanted to end the idea that God would want to act as an abusive parent expecting blood sacrifice in order to save us. That the priests at the time saw it as a threat to their livelyhood. That they murdered Jesus because of it. And on down the road, people worked sacrifice to cover sins back into worship because fear is a powerful motivator. We discussed that Jesus came to tell us how God loves us all. Wants to release us all from this bondage. All of us. Athiests, agnostics, non-christians, christians...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Last night we discussed the idea that Christ cleared the temple because he wanted to end the idea that God would want to act as an abusive parent expecting blood sacrifice in order to save us. That the priests at the time saw it as a threat to their livelyhood. That they murdered Jesus because of it. And on down the road, people worked sacrifice to cover sins back into worship because fear is a powerful motivator. We discussed that Jesus came to tell us how God loves us all. Wants to release us all from this bondage. All of us. Athiests, agnostics, non-christians, christians...

Not sure I understand what you are saying...

Are you saying that Christians worked sacrifices back into worship ?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

FHN, that's a different thought...and somehow feel it's not too far off..

A church that just talks about how God loves us and how we should love one another and how we should all strive to do good things sounds ideal to me..for some reason the fact of having to "Go Through" Jesus even feels out of place to me.

No judging (overlooking each other faults) each other and trying to help each other in times of peril also sounds ideal.

Like one big family..

Any suggestions?

Just wanted to add that I took the test on Belief .net and it said I was closest to the Unitarian Universalist ...

Anyone else taken that test?

Snoozy

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I just checked Belief net and it seems they have changed their quizes to be more specific.

Really interesting, it's like looking inside yourself.

I took the quiz named "What's your spiritual type"
    The results out of a possible 25-100 was 54. A 54 indicates a "Spiritual Straddler"

That is one that has One foot in traditional religion and one foot in free form spirituality.

Find a test that you may be interested in at this link : (cut and paste)

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Quizzes/index.aspx

Two things I took from the test were,

1) Since many people acquire their beliefs through unbringing or social circumstances, we should not judge.

2) If exposed to many religions, what would encourage your choice? The teachings of the religion or the people?

Snoozy, the Fence Straddler...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Anglicans/Episcoplians are very emphatic today that they are a product of their own culture. A priest won't allow you to say that we have the correct view on any doctrine. Only that this is what the Anglican tradition teaches. I became Episcoplian by being introduced to the Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in NY. I loved the Catholicy tradition plus progressive theology. Shinto priests worship and pray there regularly. Temple Emanuel donated huge menorahs. Buddhists priests are cherished. The Jesuits at Woodstock Seminary regularly preach and participate in consecrating the communion and distributing it. I found Santierra candles when I volunteered. Demons scare me. When I asked the dean what to do about voodoo candles, he answered God can take it. He was right. I'm not God, though.

God can take it. We try to narrow God and make her in our image. I prayed regularly to Our Mother who art in heaven. Never was I reprimanded. Many women said they appreciate it. Native Americans had their ceremonies.

Jesus is my keystone. What would Jesus do? I honestly could never, ever picture him restricting the route to Him to a bunch of male ding a lings. The soaring music and art inspired me, too. Columbia University is next door. No one ever dumbed down. The community celebrated each other. Not once did I feel a priest knew more than the lay people. The priest just specialized in a certain role. The contrast with the Witnesses was so great I converted after much initial awkwardness. Oh, the subway from Columbia was down and I walked down Amsterdam rather than Broadway. A placard advertised that Cesar Chavez, the mineworkers org. and Geraldo Rivera, a new local reporter not yet so obnoxious, were preaching that Sunday. It blew my mind that a church would endorse social justice. I started a new world where I can fully be myself and be loved and accepted.

I was practicing law on Wall St. and the US Senate. A routine dental visit triggered agonzing facial pain. The suicide rate is at least 95%, the worst pain known to humankind. I was too ill to care about seeing presidential candidates. It was clear to all I was dying. The cathedral community embraced me with much love and devotion. They kept me alive in several senses of the word. If I were still a Witness, I'd be dead from the lack of empathy. Alas, I was too ill to publish door to door or do magazine work. My usefulness would have terminated any remaining affiliation. Jesus cradled me in his arms through the Anglicans and others of good faith. I'm crying while I write this. The whole time I was a witness, I could have been something cooler and more authentic. Jesus must have knocked out the subway that day. I graduated Columbia and never noticed the largest cathedral in the world before that pivotal day.

Oh, I could actually discuss what I did not agree with various priests. No problem at all. People disagree civilly --for the most part. It does not make you an apostate. Disclaimer--This is the same religion founded when Henry VIII wanted a papal dispensation to divorce his wife Katherine and marry the clear whore Ann Boelyn. Translators of the Bible into English were burned to death. The battles were so ugly that a totally different culture emerged in the culture.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Aw, Band on the run..a big hug for you.

Glad you found what you needed. I am still searching and in my community it seems to be very limited as to worship places.

I found the tests on Beliefnet quite intersting as it helps me explore myself and ask myself questions I never would have thought of. Some are more in tune with their spiritual needs than I am..so to me it is a "God sent"..

Snoozy, the Spiritual Straddler...

• Terry
    Terry

I think possibly the Jews were the first to get OCD about exclusivity to the point of phobia, but, the eventual paranoia of early christianity

was driven by the state-sponsored purges of Rome.

If you were going to have to DIE for what you believe instead of burning a pinch of incense to the Emperor HOW ELSE would you justify it unless WHAT YOU PROFESSED was EXCLUSIVELY true worship?

Without persecution it doesn't matter what others believe or not. You aren't compelled to agree.

Once compulsion, coercion and banishment create unbearable pressure to accept OTHER beliefs a different psychology emerges.

Ahkenaton was a monotheist as I recall. He exclusively worshipped Aton (sun god) and brought down the wrath of the priests who were otherwise inclined.

The Pagan world allowed everybody's own version of god or gods without protest. Worship was INclusive.

Christianity, at first (Constantine was a cultist of Sol Invictus) was pagan and neo-Platonic. But, the constant frictions generated by Judeo-christians became a dangerously divisive force for harm to the empire.

Constantine sought UNITY and ORTHODOXY which are exclusionary.

The rest, as they say, is his story.

• Gregor
    Gregor

I thank God everyday that I am an atheist.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Snoozy, I suggest calling the local Episcopal Churches in your area. Try to find their websites, too. Ask to speak to the priests. Tell them your history. Tell them what you are looking for. I think in most cases, you're going to be pleasantly surprised. It's a beautiful, spiritual church that will respect your conscience and intelligence. There is a saying, "The Episcopal Church, where you don't have to check your brain at the door." They just live being good and spiritual and you will be moved to be a better you. No one is ever going to tell you what to do or how to live your life.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

Another that I'm surprised to have forgotten to mention, being a New Englander: Congregational/UCC churches. You basically make up your own beliefs/approach, and everyone's input is welcome and validated.

In my experience, former JWs are much more comfortable with the Congregationalists' spare, laid-back approach than with the ritual-rich Anglican Communion, but everyone's different, and certainly there are people who seek out the Episcopalian "Catholicy" approach, as I believe someone above put it. :) Though, of course, it depends on your branch...some of those breakaway fundamentalist U.S. Anglican groups are scary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit