What is the JW view of the Ichtus (Fish) christianity symbol?

by james_woods 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gayle
    Gayle

actually the 'Watchtower',,is on (all their books, magazines, and letters) is a pagan symbol too,, 'phallic' actually,,okay, okay, maybe a little diseased.

• tec
    tec
    Strange how so many convicts and people of questionable character have the symbol of the cross hanging on their necks, tattooed on, or showing on their vehicles, when their demeanor and behavior is not Christ-like whatsoever!

Perhaps because "sinners" are grateful for the mercy and forgiveness of Christ... like the sinner who beat his chest and begged God for mercy? You're kind of sounding like the other guy in that parable. How Christ-like do you think that is?

Tammy

• villabolo
    villabolo

Villabolo

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I don't want to offend anyone......

I HATE THAT FISH!!!!!!!!!

I got into a heated arguement with some 25 year old who almost hit me head on with his car doing 50mph on a DIRT ROAD!!

I got out an and called him every name I knew...

made up a couple also...

as he drove away..... there was that fish Mocking Me....

If I saw that Damn Fish....

He would of Met Jesus that day....... I promise!

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I thought it was because Jesus supposedly said "become fishers of men" e.g. Jesus had caught you, so you have a fish symbol to identify you as christian....

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I'm just having fun....

But isn't the Cross the sign of Christ???

It's like when Football changes their Uniforms after years of having the best Uniform ever!!!

What the Hell are these Ugly Uniforms///// what the hell is this Fish thing???

LOL

• agonus
    agonus

Also the Hebrew letter Nun is said to represent a fish, and it signifies the Messiah as well.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'd be interested to see a fish depicted in Roman or Jewish art and compare it to fish symbol the early Christians used. I had one on my back bumper. A cross can seem preachy or Madonnaesque. The fish seems cleaner. They didn't need a symbol, I suppose.

Are there other symbols that I can't recall?

My friend is an artist specializing in spiritual subjects. It is possible to obtain true, decent art for only a bit more than the commercial crap in the Christian stores.

• Hortenzie
    Hortenzie

g7611/22p.28DoesChristianityHaveaVisibleSymbol?

What about the symbol of a fish? Objects dated as far back as the second century C.E. have been found bearing this figure along with the Greek word for fish, ICHTHÝS. This is understood by many as a cipher for the Greek expression IesousCHristosTHeouYiosSoter, meaning "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior." Is the fish a truly Christian symbol?

According to TheInterpreter’sDictionaryoftheBible, fish frequently appear in ancient pagan symbolism, often apart from water scenes. "In such cases," notes this reference work, "it would seem to have symbolic significance, possibly to represent deity, power, fecundity, etc."

The same publication further notes that certain Jews adopted use of the fish symbol from pagan religious customs, adding: "It is probable that the considerations mentioned [in this regard] account in part for the appearance of the fish in the art of the oldest Christian catacombs. How early the Greek word for ‘fish’ (ichthýs) came to be interpreted as a cipher for ‘Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior’ . . . we do not know; but once this identification was made, the fish became a standard Christian symbol."

The Bible, however, sets forth no visible symbol for Christianity. Christians today, therefore, must be on guard not to adopt such a symbol. For example, watchtower-like designs appear on some buildings and Kingdom Halls of Jehovah’s Witnesses. There is nothing wrong with these in themselves. Possibly they may help persons to identify property owned by Jehovah’s Witnesses. However, at no time should anyone look upon such things with reverence, as if they were a visible sign of Christianity. Jesus taught that, rather than through visible symbols, "by this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."—John 13: 35.

While visible symbols have always been a feature of non-Biblical religions, they were absent from Christianity at its beginning. As in the first century C.E., so today, true Christians must conform to the Scriptural standard: "We are walking by faith, not by sight."—2 Cor. 5:7.

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

The fact is that the early Christians did use this symbol to identify themselves. I cannot remember the exact referrence (I will find it if anyone is interested), but because the Christians had to operate underground (due to persecution), they used the symbol to identify other Christians.

When meeting with someone, one person would draw the top arch in the dirt. If the other was a Christian then the other person would draw the reverse arch underneath.

We have had many conversations about what is pagan and what is not on this site. Most things can be tracked back to paganism. But there is nothing wrong with the Icthys. In fact I think its awesome to still use it and know that the person with that symbol is a Christian. It's an identifier.It identifies the person as a fisher of men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit