Aussies, where are you and have you been affected by the floods?

by penny2 25 Replies latest jw friends

• penny2
    penny2

Large areas of Queensland have suffered devastating floods in the last few days. Parts of New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia have also been affected.

I'm in Adelaide, there is blue sky and life goes on as normal. But it's heartbreaking to see what's happening in the east of the country.

Aussies, please check in and let us know how you are going.

penny

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Close to a flood up here in Northern NSW (like every year since I moved here 35yrs ago LOL!). This weather is just a cycle back to the 70's, the last La Ninya. I did research on Brisbane. So many floods since records kept. I have not been impressed with the hyperbole of the press.

On the other hand, that flash flood that hit those little towns...I used to live in that area. I never would have believed that an hour long storm could destroy Grantham etc. Poor buggers had no chance.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Man, I am so sorry to hear about that!!!

Out here, we had the "Big Thompson" flash flood about 20 years ago - killed quite a few people... And most of the small towns clinging to the sides of the mountain canyons - or at the mouths of the canyons where the streams exit onto the plains - are also at risk.

Flash floods are always a concern in dry areas, of all things... Not enough vegetation to soak up large amounts of water falling in a short time...

Has anyone heard from Aussie Oz???

Zid

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I think Aus is in Sydney..

• Satanus
    Satanus

There have been many aussies on this board, over the yrs: uncle bruce, stephanus, and some whose names slip my mind, at the moment.

S

• Joey Jo-Jo
    Joey Jo-Jo

Parents took a 3 week vacation to Queensland, they left Brisbane on the 10th, lucky them.

penny2: Adelaide is always dry lol never seen so much yellow grass in my life.

• penny2
    penny2

The flood that hit Toowoomba - they called it an "inland tsunami". I didn't think it was possible for that to happen. Just terrifying! Many of us down south have just been glued to our TVs.

doofdaddy, thanks for checking in - hope you'll be OK.

penny

• penny2
    penny2

Your parents were lucky, Joey! Yes, Adelaide is dry but we did have 18mm of rain the other day. That's almost our average rainfall for January.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Hey Penny. That hyperbole I mentioned is that "inland tsunami". There is no such thing. A tsunami is caused by undersea disturbance only. That was a flash flood in T'mba. It only lasted an hour. The media have had a field day, whipping up fear and anguish. Now their pat role is to tell miracle stories and brave souls repairing damage. It's a formula.

Research papers don't even record Brisbane's flood as severe. What has happened is that development has run riot in areas that never would have been allowed in the past, as Brisbane land prices are some of the highest in Aus (and the world). When I was a kid, all houses in flood prone Brissie were highset, on 2 or even three metre stumps. The locals just had a beer and waited 'til it went down! LOL!

• smiddy
    smiddy

Hi friends

Though my avatar says i`m in qld,I`m actually now living in the s.e.coast of victoria,where their is no problem with floods.Toowoomba Qld. was an unbeleivable situation as it is such a high elevation,hence it took so many people by surprise.Brisbane is to be expected to some degree by the snake like course of the river,and the fact that the bremmer river intersects it near ipswich,some 20? miles inland.( I was living in qld brisbane during the 1974 floods and personally experienced that devastation)But this is so widespread, engulfing qld.nsw.and victoria,3 states.So far to date 16 people have died including ,many children,our hearts go out to the people affected by this tragedy and sadly many more deaths are expected.And while the tragedy of loss of life,the thousands of homes that have been inundated with water/sludge/sewerage/debris/etc.the cost in time, money, energy, and humanitarian aid that is being applied to this task is enormous.And while we are having this heaped upon us here in Australia,we here of similar tragedy`s affecting Brazil,and Sri Lanka at this time.If the same spirit is shown in other lands as is manifested here in oz with help and support to people in need,then that speaks volumes to the people of earth of all nations whose god is not jehovah,for they only look after their own

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit