WT Article on Gambling completely dishonost

by Lore 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover
    Fine CUBAN cigar smoke

LOL... to each his own illegal smoke, I guess

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

I always wondered if "casting lots" was gambling? Isn't it like flipping a coin or throwing dice?

• cantleave
    cantleave

What was the Umin and thumin if not gambling?

• alanv
    alanv

Surely investing in stocks ans shares is a form of gamnling. You put money into them in the hope that you will get a lot more back.

Doesn't always work of course many have lost money by doing this, including me.

• Awen
    Awen

I do find it amusing that the WTS continually "strains out the gnat, but gulps down the camel" when it comes to issues such as these. They say smoking is harmful to your health and since keeping the body clean of any defilement is pleasing to JHVH, then is shouldn't be done.

Well let's carry it to it's logical conclusion. If anything that is harmful to your body shows disrespect for the fee gift of life, then it would be reasonable to conclude that the following things are also dsipleasing to God and shouldn't be consumed.

1) Eating fast food. McDonalds and others have been criticized for many years for how unhealthy their products are.

2) Coffee Caffeine is a highly addictive substance, affecting brain chemistry and altering one's mood substantially if it's not consumed regularly.

3) Soda Pop highly caffeinated and harmful to one's health in so many ways due to high sugar content and man-made chemicals.

4) Tea same reasons as above

5) Prescription drugs All the side affects that go along with them.

6) Painkillers can be addictive

7) Over the counter cold medications some contain addictive substances and cause side effects

8) Alcohol Probably the worst of the bunch. Bethel would come to a screeching halt is alcohol could no longer be consumed.

The list can go on forever, but I think I have made the point that the WTS simply picks and chooses and goes along with public opinion (world ruled by Satan) at to what is acceptable and what is not, despite one scripture in particular:

<< Matthew 15 >>
    New American Standard Bible
    11"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

As to gambling

http://www.dianedew.com/gambling.htm

Many quotes and many scriptures that outline the principles of hard work and reliance on GOD to provide. When we gamble, we are trying to seek riches and no longer relying upon GOD.

Peace,

Awen

• MsDucky
    MsDucky
    Many quotes and many scriptures that outline the principles of hard work and reliance on GOD to provide. When we gamble, we are trying to seek riches and no longer relying upon GOD.

This sound like the reason why everyone should be a pioneer. Just substitute the word "work" for "gamble".

• undercover
    undercover

I'm all for hard work and being responsible but if you rely on God to provide, you're gonna starve to death...

Equating all gambling with 'seeking riches' is a blanket, as well as false, statement. Many people gamble for recreation with no misconceptions of striking it rich or hitting the jackpot. I've played blackjack for a couple hours at a time and walked away with losses of less than $20. I basically paid that money for the entertainment (and the 'complimentary' drink). Once or twice I walked away with small winnings, which I promply spent at the bar.

I play Texas Hold'em with friends and occasionally win the pot. Small buy-ins so winnings are around a hundred, buck-fifty maybe.

I gamble in office pools and fantasy football. It's not about the money, it's just a fun diversion from work in the office. If you win, cool, you got a hundred bucks to blow this weekend. If you don't, you still got to enjoy the diversion.

Ain't no one gonna get rich with that kind of recreational gambling. And add to that there are no scriptures period that condemn gambling, then bible-thumpers who want to impose their morals (through religion or laws) on others just need to work on themselves and let the rest of us enjoy our games.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    I always wondered if "casting lots" was gambling? Isn't it like flipping a coin or throwing dice?

Ahh - yes. This was another thing about the Watchtower position on gambling that I never understood in the JW days - the soldiers cast lots over Jesus garments. OK - so: 1. Was that gambling? Not in todays terms - gambling means putting up something of value as a bet, hoping to recover it and some profit. This sounded (always to me) more like these soldiers were sort of flipping a coin or rolling dice over something that none of them owned - thus, none of them "put up something of personal value" in the process. One of them gained, but none of them really lost anything. If anything, it sounded more fair-minded than having one of them just grab the cloak and run. 2. Was that a sin (casting lots)? I didn't think the bible account actually presented it as sinful behavior - it was just a notation of detail in the account. And yet, this is one of the primary JW references as to why "games of chance" were sins. Even if this was not technicall a "game" of chance if nobody put up stakes. My take is that the JW writers just don't like gambling. So be it - but it is dishonest to try to twist this into some deep scriptural principle when it is just not there in the bible.

• Awen
    Awen

Remember that the Apostles also cast lots to decide on a replacement for Judas Isacariot. The lot fell on Matthais.

I'm not here to debate anyone. If you want to gamble and you have a clear conscience about it, then so be it. I simply gave the Bible's reasons for not doing it. I'm not in a position to decide for anyone nor tell anyone what they should do, after all everyone has free will.

Peace,

Awen

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Remember that the Apostles also cast lots to decide on a replacement for Judas Isacariot. The lot fell on Matthais.
    I'm not here to debate anyone. If you want to gamble and you have a clear conscience about it, then so be it.

Same here, Awen. Personally, I don't gamble because I view it as a form of tax on people who do not understand math. For that reason, it is just not fun for me.

But I will fight forever against the notion that a JW should be disfellowshipped over it, or that it is wrong for ordinary people if they do not spend the rent on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit