Was I threatened by a student?

by laverite 49 Replies latest jw friends

• laverite
    laverite

Leo- I can drive. BUT I use my GPS. Someday I'm going to be one of those people who drive off a cliff because my GPS told me to. I've been known to get lost in a loop for two or three hours.

I lived in England for years and I drove there, too. Imagine learning how to shift with my directional issues? It took me three times to pass my driving test. Of course I scored 100% on the theory test. Theory, though, didn't stop me from being a danger on the road.

You wrote: "I'm smart, but I'm also really really DUMB." ME TOO! I honestly used to wonder for years if I was mentally retarded. I really did think I might be, but that I had scammed the whole world into thinking I was smart. That it was just me pulling the wool over all of their eyes.

MrsJones - Thanks for your feedback. I'm worried that he's unhinged and IN my class (even with the attention this has received). Ugh...

• nugget
    nugget

Only saw this today. Truly shocking but a great response from your organisation.

some people think they are being so clever but you can't be too careful in this day and age. I sincerely hope you can get to the bottom of this.

• satinka
    satinka

I am glad you reported the incident. I feel strongly about the safety issue. I'm glad to hear your administrators validated the incident.

In an airport, if one were to talk like that student, one would be pulled aside for security reasons.

It would be interesting if the class could have a discussion about such a comment.

satinka

• tec
    tec

Also glad you reported it. I would have taken it as a threat (hoping that he was just joking in poor taste), but he would still need to know at his age that this kind of joke could be taken as a criminal threat anyway, if someone chose to press the matter.

Like someone else said, if he had made that sort of remark in an airport, I'm pretty sure he would have been taking the bus instead - after - talking to police.

Tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Someday I'm going to be one of those people who drive off a cliff because my GPS told me to.

I was once in a rental in Vancouver and the NeverLost GPS thingee couldn't quite think three-dimensionally and, well, fortunately my bf can!

It took me three times to pass my driving test. Of course I scored 100% on the theory test.

It took me about 4 years to get a driver's license. Then once I got it I never drove again; it freaked me out and plus there was no need to where I lived. Then I kept renewing it and renewing it because the written test was a joke. Then I moved and lost my license so I have to start over and learn again. I keep telling myself I'll do it, this year I'll do it, but I always put it off. It's not just the directional thing but the fact that my senses get overloaded in stressful situations and plus the (maybe irrational) fear that I might run through a light without noticing or hurt someone.

I honestly used to wonder for years if I was mentally retarded. I really did think I might be, but that I had scammed the whole world into thinking I was smart.

For me, I'm very smart with book knowledge but incredibly naive and STOOPID with people knowledge. Well, it isn't like how it was when I was younger. I'm pretty savvy now compared to then. I still feel like a foreigner though in my own country.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Thanks for the update and you were being prudent to notify the school. That guy was a$$ to even comment like that and I hope they find him and straighten him out. You cannot be too cautious in this world. Where is that hug emoticon.

• d
    d

Being a current college student myself, You can't be too sure ,The shooting in Arizona did not help now everybody is in a panic.Just be safe

• brotherdan
    brotherdan
    Would you consider this a threat? I am emailing the dean and the head of campus security after posting this.

I can't believe I didn't read this before now, Lav! You are totally in the right to suspect this as abnormal. I can't believe it's been 12 days and this is the first I'm reading of it. I would've gotten off my ace and flown over there to knock him out!

Seriously though, with the "random" violence that regularly seems to be happening (i.e. Tucson shooting), you've gotta take these things seriously. Most likely he was just being a smart ass. But better to report it and have overreacted than to not give it any concern and let something bad happen.

• AnneB
    AnneB

How does this story end? Did the student return to class? Was the student ever identified? Was he expelled?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

If I were to say such a thing the only thing I could think is that I was trying to intimidate someone. (I've never ever said such a thing by the way!)

So yes, I concur that you should report this and then have a personal discussion with the young lad.

Though I'm not sure what his undetermined ethnicity has anything to do with the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit