Was I threatened by a student?

by laverite 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I am shocked by the rampant sexism evident in your message. For all you know, that dude might have been a chick or someone who is multigendered, perhaps even hermaphroditic. Do you realize the hurt you have caused?

/ass-mode OFF/

• Satanus
    Satanus

Whether smart ass or potential threat, i think he needs to be identified and hauled up before campus management and made fully accountable for what he said. You need to get and keep respect, imo.

S

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

weird that this is the exact same subject matter that the Arizona shooter threatened his teacher over.

why would anyone want to be a force for evil? ;)

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Laverite,

Could you imagine this idiot saying this sort of thing on an airline to a Pilot or staff!!

You did the right thing.

clarity

• yesidid
    yesidid

I congratulate you for being so calm. In view of your background that must have been hard.

It seems to me that is at least unstable. Perhaps you may be able to identify him tomorrow, and security can check on him.

Take care, for yourself and those little kids who need their father.

y

• wasblind
    wasblind

" A male student who was seated in the middle of the lecture hall, asked if I would still feel that way if I had a gun held to me and how I would answer then."

I would feel very uneasy, and yes I would have reported it, and no I don't think that it is racist to describe someone the best you can, when you don't know who they are.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Wow, if that ever happens to me, I'd be totally intimidated. Even if you don't know who the person is, try to look in that same direction next class meeting. People tend to sit close to where they sat before. Also, do you remember his voice? Perhaps because it was so chilling, you might remember it.

At my university, photos of the students are available to instructors online via the course planning site. Even in a large class, it would be of help. Do you have something like this at your institution?

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Perhaps you should get a concealed weapons permit and carry some heat...

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

He not only threatened your safety, but the safety of the entire class. I think your dean is going to take this extremely seriously.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

It is certainly not a normal thing to say...or even to think of. It would send up red flags to me. Good that you reported it. Try to find the guy again. When you do, make sure it's him and then discreetly see if he can't be transferred out of your class by some other school official. Maybe with excuse that class was over quota size or some benign excuse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit