Was I threatened by a student?

by laverite 49 Replies latest jw friends

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

Let us know what action the school takes. This is something I would worry about too.

• I quit!
    I quit!

He's probably just an idiot trying to be funny. Sarah Palin says dumb things like that and I think she is harmless, well mostly harmless but in this day and age you can't take a chance. I'm sure some of the other students heard what he said and are upset by his comments also. Is it possible to get some feedback from them on this guy? Has he said things like that to any of the students? I'm glad you informed the Dean and Security about the incident. I think they'll take it just as serious as you are taking it.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    asked if I would still feel that way if I had a gun held to me and how I would answer then.

My response would have been "I pity the fool that would try something like that".

You CANNOT back down from people like this, even IF they were joking.

JDW

• snakeface
    snakeface

laverete, I would take it seriously. If you don't know his identity, why not ask him his name? Perhaps ask the class some questions, audience participation style. As you call on each one, ask them their names. Then if he takes the bait and raises his hand, call on him and ask his name.

Also, maybe you can discreetly get a photo of him with your cell phone.

• jay88
    jay88

Sorry, but I would have addressed the situation immediately and ID'd him on the spot.

• yknot
    yknot

OMGoodness!!!!

Figure out fast which person said this, report it.

That is NOT NORMAL..... do not take this lightly....

(sigh..... not a good time to be thinking 'crushy' things.....but they are running rampant in my head and I can't stop myself ....... sigh)

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa
    A male student who was seated in the middle of the lecture hall (just slightly in on the right hand side) who had very dark hair and a medium-dark complexion (I couldn't discern the student's ethnicity) asked if I would still feel that way if I had a gun held to me and how I would answer then.

In my book, that is a threat.

If he was joking around he needs to understand the seriousness of what he said. There must be consequences. IMO he should be removed from your class at the very least. IF he thinks that's an ok thing to say, then he needs to get the STRONG message that it's NOT ok.

If he was seriously threatening or trying to intimidate you, he needs to handled very carefully because he's a dangerous nut who could become unhinged...

What a difficult and unnerving situation for you to be in. I'm really sorry this happened and you have to deal with it.

I'm very curious how administration handles this. Maybe you should set up a camera or recorder in that class. I don't know.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I went on as if he had asked the most normal question in the world, reiterating that the course policies were firm.

You also did well in reporting this incident to admininstration.

Documentation, documentation, documentation ...

Syl

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    A male student who was seated in the middle of the lecture hall (just slightly in on the right hand side) who had very dark hair and a medium-dark complexion (I couldn't discern the student's ethnicity) asked if I would still feel that way if I had a gun held to me and how I would answer then.

I see that you've emailed Campus Security. I would also suggest that you phone them.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    asked if I would still feel that way if I had a gun held to me and how I would answer then.
    My response would have been "I pity the fool that would try something like that".
    You CANNOT back down from people like this, even IF they were joking.
    JDW

Bingo and ditto!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit