What "scripture is inspired of God?"

by Mad Sweeney 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The criteria for a book to be made canon was more than just "inspired", I suggest the follwoing book:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-New-Testament-Development-Significance/dp/0198269544/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1295627663&sr=1-2

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What "scripture is inspired of God?"

This one:

Jeremiah 25: 27 “And you must say to them, ‘This is what Jehovah of armies, the God of Israel, has said: “Drink and get drunk and puke and fall so that YOU cannot get up ...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

And they say that God isn't a party animal !!

• Terry
    Terry

I find it fascinating to go through the NT looking for "intrusions" by translators into the text who voice a clarification AS THOUGH it is part of the text itself. These amount to "asides' to the audience so that we will "get it."

These intrusive asides aren't sinisters efforts at corrupting text--oh heavens no! They are honest efforts at clearing up confusion in people who never hesitate to overlap THEIR VIEW for OUR GOOD.

I think of it like Monty Python sketches with a "wink-wink nudge-nudge".

1.Here is what the speaker was thinking

2.What he meant was....

Sometimes it is apparent that an attempt is being made to reconcile a dissonance or explain away a contradiction. At other times? Who knows?

• Terry
    Terry

Some examples of editorial intrustions:

John 6th Chapter is filled to the brim with asides, explanations, mind-reading of motives, etc.

5 When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?” 6 He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.

14 After the people saw the sign Jesus performed, they began to say, “Surely this is the Prophet who is to come into the world.” 15 Jesus, knowing that they intended to come and make him king by force, withdrew again to a mountain by himself.

64 Yet there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him.

I imagine alot of this came after Jesus was viewed as GOD and it became necessary to remove any doubts about his ominsicient mind!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think it is quite likely that Mark is missing both its beginning and its ending, and the opening statement is an editorial intrusion to gloss over the fact that the gospel begins in mid-sentence.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I think it is quite likely that Mark is missing both its beginning and its ending, and the opening statement is an editorial intrusion to gloss over the fact that the gospel begins in mid-sentence.

Very likely, espeially since it probbaly stated off as no more than a collection of "notes" spoken by Peter that were edited together, possibly after Mark's death even.

• shepherd
    shepherd

"Noontime arrived and passed that Elijah began to mock:

“Call at the top of YOUR voice, for he is a god; maybe he needs to pee, or he has excrement and has to go to the privy. He could be sleeping his afternoon nap, but it’s time to awaken.”

Moved with remorse, and guilt, the prophets called louder, calling at the top of their voice while cutting themselves according to their custom with daggers and lances until there was blood all over. It took most of the day, evening time is approaching while they continued behaving as prophets until the going up of the grain offering, but there was no voice, and no one answering." - 1 Kings 18

The Bible does have some inspirational passages. Like this one. Everytime someone says or writes that Jesus is alive and well in heaven I remember it. Because if he is, I guess he has had the worst case of diarrhea in history, 2 thousand years on some celestial toilet throne.

Inspired of God as in written by God? Best to flush that idea...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit