What "scripture is inspired of God?"

by Mad Sweeney 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Very well put Donuthole and Mary.

• tec
    tec
    I like Jesus, Mr. Love, love love love, for failure to Genuflect and kiss his toes he sends the Roman Army against the indigenous people of Palestine. The Roman Soldier under the direction of Mr. Love goes into peoples homes Rapes the wife and kills her then takes the baby and ripes the head off like a cupie doll and chains the husband to live the rest of his life in chains and slavery.

Where in the world does it say that Jesus sent the Roman Army against anyone - much less to go into homes, rape and kill wives, rip heads off babies, and enslave the husband?

(or are you just being sarcastic and I missed that part?)

Tammy

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    an inspired writing may have glimpses of the Truth

I could author a book with glimpses of truth. So could you.

Is the Bible special or not? If so, how?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Is the Bible special or not? If so, how?

Is the bible special?

Yes, because in it we have, by far, the most correct view of God and that is through his son Jesus.

Granted it is a progressive view and it is mixed up with other things such as the history of the Jewish people, their hopes and dreams, their achievents and their failures, but it is, IMHO, the most correct view of God we have.

It may NOT start out that way but I do believe that it ends that way, controvery in regards to Revelation aside of course.

If we were to put the books of the bible in order of when they were written, especially the NT, then I think that things COULD be clearer, maybe, LOL !

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Psac: I admire your faith and your unflagging defense of Christian belief. Seriously, you maintain a positive outlook, despite the odds.

If we were to put the books of the bible in order of when they were written, especially the NT, then I think that things COULD be clearer, maybe, LOL !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Psac: I admire your faith and your unflagging defense of Christian belief. Seriously, you maintain a positive outlook, despite the odds.

I appreciate that, even if it is Clear As Mud, LOL !
    Of course my faith is NOT based on the bible so...

As Paul stated, it is the "struggle" that strengthens our faith and I have learned that the more I am exposed to "reasons" not to believe, the more evidence I find to believe.

Of course that could be the 'shrooms talking, LOL !

• tec
    tec

I do think the bible is special. Most important, it contains the witness accounts to Christ. It also contains inspired scripture that lead us to Christ (as in the person was 'IN SPIRIT', when they were given what to write about - not as in, inspired by love or power or whatever of God). And yes, it also contains errors (scribal, misunderstandings, translation) and uninspired books.

But if you had a ton of people come up to you and tell you about this man (such as Christ), and his teachings and example and life and death and resurrection, then you might have cause to consider looking him up -which in this case means going to Christ, in Spirit.

Tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Leolia brought up Mark 13, which is a classic example of not only the contradictions found in the NT but how out of touch the 'Jesus' character is with his own Jewish Faith.

Ummm, huh? The synoptic apocalypse accords very well with the eschatology of apocalyptic Judaism, particularly with the views of the Essenes.

PS- For starters that was never a Jewish Belief. This is a guy coming up with his own dooms-day scenario. [Bow to me or else] what Jew would buy that scenario when if they did believe in a resurrection as Martha and Mary expressed in Luke they held to a Universalism

No, in the first centuries there were "doomsday scenarios" very close to what we have in the synoptic apocalypse, especially wrt to Judgment Day and the division of the resurrected dead for eschatological judgment (rather than a kind of universalism); indeed such a dualism was the norm in scenarios about the resurrection.

because they believed God was a pretty good Father who would take care of everybody and make sure they all got into Gan Eden.

The rightoeus, sure. But the dominant view most definitely was that this is not the case for everyone.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    I would say the writer had in mind the collection of books that we know as the Old Testament with maybe some other books (Wisdom, Enoch, etc.) that were held in high esteem by early Christians.

Indeed, the epistle of Jude quotes from 1 Enoch as an inspired prophecy, Barnabas quotes it as "scripture", and the early church father Tertullian applied 2 Timothy 3:16 to 1 Enoch to prove that it is inspired of God.

One of the tendencies I have seen is to read more into the word "inspired" than may be warranted. Many who read "inspired", think "inerrent", "perfect", from God's mouth directly to the page via the writer without any coloration. But inspiration does not entirely remove the human element of the writer nor does it guard the text from errors.

An interesting parallel may be Adam; he became alive when God breathed his Spirit in him (Genesis 2:7). The notion isn't that Adam became divine or with divine infallability, or that God controlled everything Adam did and said. Adam is conceived as a man who could make some big mistakes. Inspiration is rather the means through which Adam came to exist. I think there likely would have been a range of different views in antiquity about what "inspiration" exactly means.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    An interesting parallel may be Adam; he became alive when God breathed his Spirit in him (Genesis 2:7). The notion isn't that Adam became divine or with divine infallability, or that God controlled everything Adam did and said. Adam is conceived as a man who could make some big mistakes. Inspiration is rather the means through which Adam came to exist. I think there likely would have been a range of different views in antiquity about what "inspiration" exactly means.

A very interesting point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit