What "scripture is inspired of God?"

by Mad Sweeney 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• donuthole
    donuthole

@leavingWT wrote "I could author a book with glimpses of truth. So could you. Is the Bible special or not? If so, how?"

(I forgot how to do the quote-box thing.)

In my comment I put "the Truth". As a Christian I believe that the Truth is Jesus. A true God-breathed, spirt inspired expression will reflect or point toward him. I agree with what is written in the Revelation, "the witness of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

Yes, you very well could author a book with glimpses of truth. Many have. Truth is truth, no matter whose mouth or pen it is coming from.

You asked, "Is the Bible special or not?" That's an interesting question. I believe that writings contained in the Bible are valuable as have many before me. Much of what is written is inspired and does bear witness to Jesus. Does it uniquely do this among other books? Certainly this collection is the most widely known and read. So I guess it is special in that respect. It isn't perfect and complete in itself though. There are other letters and writings, some known, some lost to time, which may equally provide testimony to the Truth.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Much of what is written is inspired and does bear witness to Jesus.

In your opinion, who should make the determination regarding which portions are inspired? Individuals or spiritual elders? (What we've seen, obviously, is individuals usually decide. Hence, to outsiders, Biblical truth gets sort of confusing.)

• bohm
    bohm

donuthole: Which parts of the bible are not inspired?

• AGuest
    AGuest

Greetings, dear PSacto and designs... and peace to you both!

I have learned a lot from my Lord, including much of what dear PSacto shared. On this subject, however, I asked my Lord how I could further clarify and he told me that "one who prophesies is a prophet... and a prophet prophesies." He did not meant prophecy solely with regard to foretelling what will occur, but that ALL that comes from a prophet to those such one is sent to is "prophesy." He then told me to "look to Cephas for understanding." And so I did, and as I read, I HEARD:

"... no prophecy of scripture is of any private interpretation. For prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spoke as they were moved to do by holy spirit."

Now, this is a departure from what is written in most Bibles. There it usually states that men of God spoke as they were moved/led BY the Holy Spirit. However, the Holy Spirit had not yet ARRIVED with man, so that cannot be the case. Such men COULD, however, have received holy spirit... the oil of exultation... by means of which they were "anointed"... chosen... TO receive and share such prophecies.

The problem is that when translating/transliterating, MEN chose where to capitalize and include the word "the"... so that were the language really was "holy spirit," THEY assumed it to be "the Holy Spirit." Which is often wrong. They did this, however, because rather than be led by holy spirit OR the Holy Spirit... they leaned upon their OWN understanding.

When did it change from being led by holy spirit (which is the means by which one IS transferred into spirit) to be led by the Holy Spirit? When the Most Holy One of Israel changed His METHOD of speaking to man (Israel)... from prophets... to His SON. THE Holy Spirit. Hebrews helps us see that (if one cannot hear Christ on this matter):

"In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days speaks to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe."

Previously, it was throught the ANOINTING in them that God spoke to such men. God, through Christ, to them by means of an anointing with holy spirit, and through that anointing them to others. NOW, however, THEY... the prophets... are no longer needed. Because NOW... the anointing is not limited to such men. NOW, it is God, though Christ... who, having been glorified, became the HOLY Spirit... to ALL who receive such anointing... THROUGH THAT SAME ANOINTING received by the prophets! Thus, John wrote:

"I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not a lie -just as it has taught you, remain in him."

What you dear ones don't understand... and is of GREAT sadness... is that COVERING UP THIS TRUTH... is the EXACT purpose for the WTBTS! From the START, they told you that not only were you NOT anointed... but you could not BE anointed. Sure, they couldn't come right out and say that - that would be blasphemy. But they certainly implied it... and continue to imply it. Why? Because... they are SHUTTING UP THE KINGDOM OF THE HEAVENS BEFORE MEN. They DID this through their teaching that the "anointed" are a SMALL group. That is a LIE. They are a GREAT crowd, ALONG with a set number of those reserved from among the sons of Israel. Yet, they include the REST of Israel, as well!

If, from the beginning, they had told you who you TRULY were... you have had NO problem hearing. Because you would have KNOWN that you COULD. Your FAITH would have told you. But they have very craftily undermined that faith. By what they taught you... and how they treated you and/or those you love(d). As a result, your faith may have been shipwrecked. Because your "house" was built upon the SAND... that THEY are... and not the ROCK-MASS that Christ is.

But... it doesn't have to continue that way. The Most Holy One of Israel is merciful, SLOW to anger, and ABUNDANT in loving kindness. He understands. He knows what happened to Israel... and at whose hand.

We were, all of us, at one time, children of light... searching for true light: truth. They knew this. Their "father" knew this. And so, he transformed HIMSELF into an "angel of light"... so as to lead us AWAY from the TRUE Light. Not toward him. And, unfortunately, he, their father... and they... have succeeded more than they have failed. So many have been led astray... both inside and out.

That Light, dear ones... is Christ. He IS the Light that shot forth in the dark. He IS the Source of life in the physical realm... the "heat"... the "energy" by means of which matter... and thus ALL physicality came forth. Before HE was breathed/spoken into existence... IN THIS REALM... there was nothing. Except a thick, dense, void. HIS dynamic power... the point at which HE came into existence... was the "portal" through which ALL in this realm came. And he is the portal through which all who wish to enter into THAT realm must go. Otherwise, they are entering without authority... and so, like thieves, will be cast right back out.

When they are so cast out... they turn around and make up what they tell others is going on there/exists there.

You CAN be anointed, dear ones. ANYONE can be anointed. It is NOT an exclusive club limited to just a few. There is NO limit to the number (which is why MAN cannot NUMBER it!). Unfortunately, however, only a few find the Door and thus the Way in... to the One who grants such anointing.

I bid you all peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

The Bible really is just a book... and it is allowed for those who LACK faith. For those WITH faith... there is the Word of God. And he IS alive.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Beautifuly said Shelby :)

• AGuest
    AGuest

But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

That breath... is holy spirit. Not THE Holy Spirit, but rather, God's life force: His breath, blood, semen... water. For us, it is granted BY the HOLY Spirit, Christ, the One who has authority to pour it out from within himself:

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I have put MY spirit IN him and he will bring justice to the nations. "

I will give them an undivided heart and put a NEW spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.

And I will put MY s pirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.

Finally, Daniel came into my presence and I told him the dream. (He is called Belteshazzar, after the name of my god, and the spirit of the holy gods is IN him.) I said, "Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, I know that the spirit of the holy gods is IN you, and no mystery is too difficult for you. Here is my dream; interpret it for me.

Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days.

"If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."

whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become IN him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

There are SO many verses that explain this truth. There is a REASON Israel is called the "temple" of God: because it is the PLACE where God, a spirit, will ultimately DWELL. IN people... so that they can have a NEW spirit... His... IN them. Through Christ... who also dwells IN them. And so it is from WITHIN that the Word of God speaks. From "above" one's "ark"... of the "covenant" one has WITH Him.. the heart. Through Christ.

I hope this helps, for those who are still asking, seeking, and knocking. Do NOT give up - the heavens (spirit realm) WILL be opened to you!

I bid you all peace... and ears to hear... when the [Holy] Spirit and the Bride say to YOU:

"Come! Take's LIFE'S WATER... the holy spirit of God, the MOST Holy One of Israel, whose name is JAH... of Armies... which holy spirit, the oil of exultation and living water... is poured out from the inmost parts of His Son and Christ, the HOLY One of Israel, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH... so as to become a FOUNTAIN... bubbling up to impart EVERLASTING live to any who recieve it... FREE!"

Servant to the Household of God, Israel, and those who go with... and a slave of Christ,

SA

• designs
    designs

Tammy- was I being provocative, sukoshi . It goes to the point of nominal Christianity and its world and theological views. Some denominations take Jesus as either Jehovah of the OT or the Angel of the Lord protector of Israel. Jesus, claiming to be God in the flesh tells the Jews there entire system is done for because they reject him as God and the True and only Messiah. Predicting there demise means He alone controls the timing and consequences of this Event. See how it works. But Christians, like the mindset we had as Witnesses, never want to connect the dots of Judgement Day type of things. Whether jesus rides his white horse to Armageddon or the

Leolaia- yes you will certainly find the similarities of Jewish events and rituals and things Jesus and Paul drew upon to build their versions. Jesus has often been thought of as an Essene for his celibacy and End Times views but as you know there are differences as well since the Essenes didn't particularly identify a 'Messiah' with their End Times in the struggle between the Sons of Light and the Sons of Darkness and not a God/Man Messiah the way Jesus wants to be viewed. But they stood out from the ideas of the school of Hillel and his more magnanimous views of how God and Adam would treat all in the afterlife.

• designs
    designs

'he knows what happened to Israel..and at whose hand'- this is a classic example of why people who connect the dots conclude the Bible is not what it claims and Jesus, claiming to be God on some level, is not the nice guy his followers imagine.

He is responsible for the deaths of Jews if you follow the story of his prediction, now a really good-guy-god would have used his super powers to eject the 'Real' badguys from Judea- The Roman Army, but no, Jesus, who now functions on the level of petty gods like Zeus and Hades, goes after civilians with the most powerful Army on earth at that time.

But Christians hide from the terrible conclusions like we hid our minds from connecting the dots during Watchtower Studies. Then your mind wakes up one day and you are finally free from myths and superstitions.

Finally free and able to do good for others is a very good place to be.

• streets76
    streets76

My answer will also answer Shelby's point from above.

Inspired by God doesn't mean the same then as we want it or take it to me NOW, we keep forgetting that.

Luke was inspired By God to write, inspired by his love for God and Jesus and that love inspired him to write what he knew about Jesus's work, not only based on what he was told and saw, but by organizing the works he had access to.

Inspired by God didn't mean "God speaking via the HS through Luke", no more than it would mean that about the current apologists that write about Christianity.

I think we are confusing "inspired by God" with "The inspired WORD of God".

Ok. Because of my love for trees, and especially the one in my front yard (who I call Rick), I have written a book called "Book of Front Yard Trees."

Therefore, in a sense, I was inspired by Rick to write "Book of Front Yard Trees."

Also, last week I fell in love with the beautilful young barister (Sally) down at the Starbucks, so I went home and wrote "Ode to my lovely barister."

Therefore, in a sense, I was inspired by Sally to write "Ode to my lovely barister."

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

The King James Interlinear says "Every" scripture, but somehow in the text it becomes "All". In the newer "revised" translations, it has indeed become "every". The Greek word "pas" can mean either, but to say that every scripture that appears in the Bible is "inspired" just because it was selected to the canon means one of two things: It is not ALL "inspired", whatever that means, or, if it is God-breathed, he is totally incapable of writing a coherent book.

We also know there were a gazillion gospels in existence in the first century that never made it into the Bible. Are they "scripture" too?

The other thing is, there was no official canon of the New Testament when Paul allegedly wrote this letter to Timothy. So, he could have only been referring to the OT, and we know for a fact that Paul deeply despised the Law and said that it came from "angels", but would be better translated as "messengers".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit