Westboro Baptist Church will picket funeral of "911 girl" killed in Arizona

by Gerard 67 Replies latest social current

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

oh, and I'll ignore the 'thinking' part ... I'm not suggesting that we legislate what people 'think'

That's exactly what you're suggesting even if you don't realize it, and that's all the reason I need to believe the way I do.

Why shouldn't some things be illegal?

Asinine question in this context.

Simon, you own this site and I and many others come on here simply because you have been gracious enough to provide it for us and I for one can't express my gratitude strongly enough but this time your dead wrong. I won't mince any further words with you on it because I also believe that nothing I could say would change your mind just as you're incapable of changing mine on this subject.

• Simon
    Simon
    oh, and I'll ignore the 'thinking' part ... I'm not suggesting that we legislate what people 'think'
    That's exactly what you're suggesting even if you don't realize it, and that's all the reason I need to believe the way I do.

No, I'm not. Purely because any such legislation would be very poor because it couldn't be enforced.

When people's thoughts turn into actions though something should kick in.

If some nazi-type wants to believe that jews, blacks and homosexuals should all be killed ... well, that's unfortunate. If they start saying it and shouting it in people's face then something should be done about it.

Evil happens when good people do nothing. Unfortunately, America has institutionalised the concept that no one is allowed to do anything.

At the end of the day I can't believe that people will argue that the WBC and their ilk should be allowed to do whatever they want on the vague notion that it somehow protects others. If you can detatch yourself from the mantra you will see how crazy it is.

Simon, you own this site and I and many others come on here simply because you have been gracious enough to provide it for us and I for one can't express my gratitude strongly enough but this time your dead wrong. I won't mince any further words with you on it because I also believe that nothing I could say would change your mind just as you're incapable of changing mine on this subject.

A healthy debate is good and disagreeing with me is welcome :)

• acolytes
    acolytes

A small example of free-speach

If we had free-speach on this board then the moderators are not needed.

Would this discussion board exist with free speach?

Does this site need the moderators?

Sadly what is acceptable free-speach is dictated by history and the powes that be. And those that refute it may have a point.

The watchtower has free-speach....up to a point. to go beyound that point is disfellowshipping.

On a personal level Iam so glad free-speach has changed my thinking on sexuality. I was bought up that homosexuality this was wrong. Now i have a 5 year old kid and my love is unconditional. My thinking was changed by the courageouse people who stood up for themselfs against predudise and ridicule.

Acolytes

• Gerard
    Gerard

Free speech does not imply anarchy.

• beksbks
    beksbks

So is a funeral peaceable assembly? Why is your right to scream hatred more important than my right to peaceable assembly???

• Simon
    Simon

I would argue that you need some limitations to allow true free-speech otherwise sensible but quieter voices are shouted down.

Without some control, extremists easily take over.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

So is it all about who carries the biggest gun?

Snoozy

• Violia
    Violia

While waiting for an Xray I met a man from Topeka. The TV in the waiting room was talking about this church . I expressed disgust for their behavior. He told me that The Phelps brothers were lawyers and they made money from suing folks for violating their civil rights. They did this on purpose just so they can sue anyone who tries to stop them. It is how they make money. So it has less to do with religious beliefs than just a really good scam. He said the town was very embarrassed by them and had tried to stop them but got sued eveytime they tried. He said they had a few followers, but mostly it is their very weird family. He said no one likes them or agrees with them. They are a huge embarrassment to the town.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit