Westboro Baptist Church will picket funeral of "911 girl" killed in Arizona

by Gerard 67 Replies latest social current

• Gerard
    Gerard
    I heard something on the radio about the Westboro Baptist Church demonstrators (picketers?) shaking down local communities, and receiving $17,000 settlements.
    Anyone know anything abou that?

The closely related Phelps Chartered law firm, has collected fees under the Civil Rights Attorney's Fees Award Act of 1976 when their protests have been unlawfully disrupted. http://www.godhatesfags.com/fliers/jan2006/20060114_pandering-demagogic-legislatures.pdf The Snyder family sued them for $11 million and won, but on appeal, they lost and had to pay $16K to the church. See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church#Lawsuit_against_WBC

• Gerard
    Gerard

Yes! Arizona's Legislature has unanimously passed emergency legislation outlawing protests at or near funeral sites:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/01/ariz-lawmakers-ok-ban-on-protests-at-funerals/1

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Freedom of speech abridged is tyranny. This reminds me of the Skokie, Ill. situation with Nazis. Skokie is a Jewish suburb of Chicago. The local Nazis announced they would march through Skokie on a date certain. The govt. refused a permit. The ACLU, most supported by Jews, filed a brief arguing that the Nazis had a right to march. There isn't a single Nazi loving lawyer in the ACLU. The principle was important. Many of the Skokie Jews had been in concentration camps. The Nazis selected it on purpose. A massive uproar occurred. Jewish groups withheld support from the ACLU. It was the lowest point. It seemed to be the end -- for a bunch of Nazis. The ACLU won its suit. Nazis could march. People were very traumatized. A big battle was expected. Once they had all their publicity, the Nazis decided not to march. It was too much effort.

It is hard to do but I wished people would let them march and just turn their backs. Ignore them. They are publicity hounds. If people ignored this character and his deluded followers, they would go away quickly. All the battle does is give them legitimacy. In the end, the courts will always rule for Free Speech. Free Speech is a worhty ideal. Once we start censoring, everyone is censoring. I'm reading English history about Henry VIII, Wolsey and Cromwell. People never knew which way the wind was blowing' for years. A rosary could be mandatory in the am, and a death sentence by night.

• beksbks
    beksbks

This family has one chance to bury their tragically lost daughter, as all the other families in similar situations. At what point does the freedom of speech for some (or any other freedom) override the freedoms of another?

That's why I like the citizens who are going to form a shield. Their free speech outdoes the free speech of those loons. I hope.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I hope this will be televised. I saw an interview with one of the Angel Wings organizers and she said the participators have all be trained to remain silent, not to answer or contact the Westboro sh*theads (my word, not hers), but simply form a shield of people so that the family will not see them or their vile signs.

How the angel action will work

Select volunteers will wear 8- by 10-foot angel wings during the funeral in order to physically shield mourners from Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church’s hate messages. As Gilmer – who is organizing the angel action – told CNN, the wings will provide “a peaceful haven” for those with love in their hearts.

Goodness is bi-partisan

Political representatives right, left and center have offered up support for Tucson’s angel action. Facebook pages entitled “Build Angel Wings for the Westboro Funeral Counter-Protest and Meeting” and “Show Support for the Families of the Tucson Shooting Victims” have attracted thousands of fans. Some have even donated money and material to help construct the wings. According to Gilmer, all funds donated will help pay for the funeral services of the Tucson shooting victims.

Not a counter-protest

Chelsea Cohen, a 20-year-old senior at Tucson’s University of Arizona who started the “Show Support” Facebook page, told CNN that the activities of the support groups are not specifically intended to be a counter-protest. They do not want to attract attention to themselves, asthe Westboro Baptist Church does. They also do not want to disrupt the funeral.

“We wanted it to show support for the families and to show that Tucson is there with love and support,” said Cohen.

Source

CNN

• Sharpie
    Sharpie

Man... to bad I probably will never see a Westboro protest. I'd love to get a group of people just spray them with mace filled super-soakers.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Anybody who brings up "free speech" issues here, can a funeral not be considered a private event? Not only that but they are free to protest 300 feet away.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Something JO and I can agree on

• beksbks
    beksbks

I think they should just softly sing something beautiful. Drown out those bastards (my word).

• Simon
    Simon

Free speech was supposed to relate to free political expression but it's been subverted by the legal system to mean anything and everything because a litigious nation makes for good profit.

The Westboro baptist Church would have a hard time existing in any other country with sensible laws.

Really, having a law to deal with people like this would be difficult and would impinge and anyones ever so precious free speech?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit