The Power of Prayer......Do you believe in it?

by confuzzled777 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• LV101
    LV101

ahhh --- i missed CHALAM'S post w/scriptures above --- long day. i, too, appreciate his knowledge and his scriptures from the NIV and any other translation he quotes from. he seems to always be right on when my faith is going south. hope i haven't missed his posts lately.

LV101

• smiddy
    smiddy

It`s all in the mind

the mind of the beleiver

ask a Hindu

ask a Buddhist

ask a Muslim

ask a Morman

ask a Catholic

ask a Taoist

need I go on ?

smiddy

• LV101
    LV101

leaving wt --- appreciate link to your thread re/blessings. some outstanding posts.

thanks,

LV101

• agonus
    agonus

I believe that willpower/the power of intention, when properly focused, is indeed powerful, and prayer/meditation can help you achieve that focus. (And no, I'm not talking about some "The Secret"-type wish-fulfillment fluff). But I also believe it requires effort, and as it's been said, "faith is not a possession of all people".

But when you're running out of options and have nothing else to lose, well, what the hell, right?

• agonus
    agonus

Well, Moshe, you have a point, but thankfully, Hitler DID lose, and the Jews ARE still with us, right?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Yes is very powerful but only for those who think that God did hear their prayers. They are convinced that praying helped. For those of us who dont talk to invisible creatures prayer is a waste of life.

• whereami
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I've prayed all my life. I wish I could say it was more effective than 50%.

But for me it seems 50% effective. A placebo can be 50 to 60% effective especially in psychosymatic issues

pain, depression, some heart ailments, ulcers.

It's kind of like nuerolinguistic prograiming without having to pay or listen to Tony Robbins.

I work in a jail and a lot of the officers tell me they pray. We even pray as a group after muster before entering

the cell blocks. 50% effectiveness seems better than 5 or 10% effectiveness.

A lot of life coaches, popular gurus, write and teach "You will see it when you believe it"

You have to hold a thought so you can become

a heat seeking missle to strike your target. You have to tell the universe what you want to get it.

Prayer can help you focus and hold a thought, pray for what you want every day.

There are other ways to get what you want without praying, but still similar to prayer.

Make a list of what you want, and first thing everyday read it.

If you have psychoschamatic issues, you could self hypnotize yourself and plant positve affirmations in

your brain at your alpha brain level.

If there is no God at the very least your speaking to your higher self whey you pray, and hopefully

you are smart enough to pray to God but tie up your camel, or realize that God helps those who

help themselves.

The way I see it you can get 50% of everything you want by praying.

You can get 50% of what you want by using pop psychology.

But there are a lot of people in this world and country that are only getting 10, 20% of what they want.

Because they are not holding the thought of what they want. Prayer can be one way of holding the thought.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If prayer worked all the time, there would be no drama, no mystery, we couldnt have or be saved by faith.

We would be bored out of our gourds.

Where we came from in heaven, with God, part of God, as spirts, thats how it was and we were so bored

we decided to come down here but when we got on the ride we had to give up memory of who we are and

where we are from.

Its the greatest show on earth.

• Chalam
    Chalam

ahhh --- i missed CHALAM'S post w/scriptures above --- long day. i, too, appreciate his knowledge and his scriptures from the NIV and any other translation he quotes from. he seems to always be right on when my faith is going south. hope i haven't missed his posts lately.

LV101

Thanks LV :) I just sent you an email BTW!

LWT's thread is awesome, I agree. I have some more stuff to put in there. In actual fact the Lord blesses me all day long :)

Blessings in Christ,

Stephen

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit