Can You "Read" People?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Misery wrote on a thread how those of us who were born into the JW religion were taught how to read people. We learn how to look for their weaknesses, their joys, what seems to be troubling them, what their yard looks like, etc.

Do you have this ability, in all honesty? I am told that I have that ability and it freaks people out sometimes (in a good way). Are you pretty much right on when it comes to "knowing" people?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've never been good at reading people until it was too late. Now I operate under the assumption that everyone is an asshole until they prove otherwise.

W

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

I'm glad to say, I do have that ability as well. But I don't give credit to being raised in the Organization, in fact it came after, maybe because of all the hipocrisy I saw while being there. I find it amusing and very helpful, although I'm not infallible at it. I've made my mistakes, but those have helped me to deal with the next person that comes with the same attitudes. It's a cool ability and I find it somewhat spritual and energizing. Spiritual, NOT RELIGIOUS.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can read people like a book.

Even those on discussion forums.

Syl

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

Snowbird:

Me too, it is amazing that I can tell what kind of person you are even by reading how they write. Amazing isn't it?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Amazing isn't it?

Yes, it is.

I believe we all project an "aura," which is either positive or negative, true or false.

Syl

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

I am with FF, I cannot. I don't think it is something you can learn.

Snowbird, do you think it is something you were born with or learned?

• wasblind
    wasblind

Words carry wieght

they tell alot about people, so I tend to read people throught their words ,

on the net you can choose to be whoever or whatever you want

you can be mean as you want who cares, let down your hair and let it flow

no one can see, your totally hidden, But the posters who choose to be kind

considerate and who have a straight forward tone about them

they are a special kind of poster, the kind I would love to meet

because even though posting anonymously they choose to treat others the

way they want to be treated.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Snowbird, do you think it is something you were born with or learned?

I believe I was born with it; yet, I learned some of it while growing up in a racist environment where sometimes your very life depended upon being able to to get an accurate reading of certain situations.

Syl

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My nature is that of an observer. I tend to watch people more than I interact with them. Because I'm quiet folks tend to say alot more to me than they might to someone who is more talkative. I also tend to focus on peoples' expressions when they talk. I learn a lot from that. When I form an opinion about a person I don't voice or act on it right away. I tend to wait to see if I was right. A lot of the time I am.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit