Private Discussion

by besty 47 Replies latest forum suggestions

• besty
    besty

Simon

As most people seem to have worked out the Private Discussion and Support part of the forum is not Private beyond requiring a username.

Today nugget and cantleave are having printouts of their posts in this section being used in evidence at their JC.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/members/private/204436/1/Nugget-and-Cantleave-are-no-longer-Jehovahs-Witnesses

My suggestion is, if its possible, to create an invite-only section of the board for truly private support.

• bohm
    bohm

i second that.

• zoiks
    zoiks

That would be nice.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

interesting idea

• Violia
    Violia

JWS requires you be on the board for 30 days before you can access the private area. That might help a little, making it a little harder to just go straight to the private area.

• besty
    besty

I lurked here on JWN for over a year before posting, all the while with a username...

There has to be some way of creating a sub-group on an invite basis where preferably the real identity of the people is known. Sam and I have personally met close to 50 posters who we would be happy to vouch for. Multiply that by all the 'lifers' here on JWN and you could quickly build a healthy sized sub-group.

And if newbies are somehow willing and able to verify their real identity they could join to - perhaps a secure private Inbox they can apply to for the Mods to make a judgment call on whether the ID credentials they supply are genuine.

Just throwing some ideas out there to address what seems to be a reasonable idea for moving JWN forward.

• Violia
    Violia

Good idea besty.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

It would be a good idea.

Just to reassure anyone who may have read what has happened to cantleave and nugget and are worried about being identified, I think it's fair to say it is avoidable for most people. If you post a lot of personally identifiable information, over time it is possible to look over a person's posts and build a picture of their identity.

If you are careful, the risk is low. The odd red herring can be useful too.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

on second thought -- that might be hard to negotiate. Everyone would have to have a private area to share things with and then if you wanted to share some things with some people and not others you might was folders withing folders. If the info is so personal then PM it

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

It appears that the lurkers must have spent an awful long time on the site to glean enough information to work out who the people are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit