Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Was Fraud

by mrsjones5 17 Replies latest social current

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm not surprised at all by this:

Journal: Study Linking Vaccine To Autism Was Fraud

by THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

January 5, 2011

The first study to link a childhood vaccine to autism was based on doctored information about the children involved, according to a new report on the widely discredited research.

The conclusions of the 1998 paper by Andrew Wakefield and colleagues was renounced by 10 of its 13 authors and later retracted by the medical journal Lancet, where it was published. Still, the suggestion the MMR shot was connected to autism spooked parents worldwide and immunization rates for measles, mumps and rubella have never fully recovered.

A new examination found, by comparing the reported diagnoses in the paper to hospital records, that Wakefield and colleagues altered facts about patients in their study.

The analysis, by British journalist Brian Deer, found that despite the claim in Wakefield's paper that the 12 children studied were normal until they had the MMR shot, five had previously documented developmental problems. Deer also found that all the cases were somehow misrepresented when he compared data from medical records and the children's parents.

Wakefield could not be reached for comment despite repeated calls and requests to the publisher of his recent book, which claims there is a connection between vaccines and autism that has been ignored by the medical establishment. Wakefield now lives in the U.S. where he enjoys a vocal following including celebrity supporters like Jenny McCarthy.

Deer's article was paid for by the Sunday Times of London and Britain's Channel 4 television network. It was published online Thursday in the medical journal BMJ.

In an accompanying editorial, BMJ editor Fiona Godlee and colleagues called Wakefield's study "an elaborate fraud." They said Wakefield's work in other journals should be examined to see if it should be retracted.

Last May, Wakefield was stripped of his right to practice medicine in Britain. Many other published studies have shown no connection between the MMR vaccination and autism. But measles has surged since Wakefield's paper was published and there are sporadic outbreaks in Europe and the U.S. In 2008, measles was deemed endemic in England and Wales.

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/05/132692497/journal-study-linking-vaccine-to-autism-was-fraud

• tec
    tec

Thank you, Mrs. Jones.

Interesting find.

Tammy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Good to see science do its job.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Glad you posted that, mrsjones. An issue that was close to my heart - we dilly-dallied for over a decade about whether to allow the kids to get the shot because of the hooplah Wakefield and his supporters created There's more I'd like to say about it but not on a public board (too many personal details involved).

• designs
    designs

Here in the USA babies-kids need to get all of their shots before Kindergarden. I guess I still question the need to give multiple serums at a time- babies usually run a fever and get diarrhea from the treatments. Is there a better way. My daughter asked her pediatrician to spread the shots out over a longer period and my grandson seems to have tolerated the effects better.

• bohm
    bohm

• Fact: There is not a single schred of scientific evidence linking vaccine and autism.
    • Fact: Vaccines saves thousands of lifes every year; the benefits far far outweights the risks that are associated with any medical procedure.
    • Fact: The fabricated studies to "document" the effect, and the people who have grown rich by being involved in this scam, has resulted in many deaths of otherwise healthy children.
    • Fact: When you deny your own child vaccine your are not only risking her/his life and health, because of crowd-immunity you could also be killing or crippling vaccinated children.
    • Fact: If an appolegist will post on this topic, he or she will entirely fail to address the four above facts with scientific evidence, and most likely post an article of a child who had an extremely rare disorder which was triggered by a vaccine shot. Some people have extremely rare disorders that cause them to die from anastethics or antibiotics, should we stop using those?

I can understand how a parent who see his/her child go sick immediately after a shot and die draw a causal connection; so would i. But that is bound to happend many times each year, statistically speaking.

Im not blaming the parents who are not giving their children vaccines due to ignorance or fear, i blame the people who try to trick well-meaning parents to kill their own and others children for money and prestige.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I believe it was first published in The Lancet. It got past peer review. It has done much damage.

BTS

• wasblind
    wasblind

marking

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

my son had a disorder, and the teachers and principal shot the gun and wanted my kid tested for autism. he went 3 months of testing until the school gave up, and treated the REAL disorder.

Jenny McCarthy should be sued!

• zoiks
    zoiks

I have been exposed to the hysteria and fear that this study caused. Not good. Unfortunately, much damage has been done that may take years to counteract. Pockets of unvaccinated people in the population is a dangerous thing, IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit