Disassociation...is it to much hassle? Please advise as need help. Thanks

by Me Myself and I 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Me Myself and I
    Me Myself and I

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the warm welcome to the forum boards after years of just looking and reading.

I have been impressed by the many comments that have followed the introduction of dontplaceliterature and the balanced, humourus and individual views of the brothers and sisters (we are all human beings so as far as I am concerned no matter what religious persuasion we are all one family!) that have replied with both candid and honest and often heartfelt comments.

I have started a topic and will give the reason for asking first, so anyone can skip the "getting to know me" bit.

I am currently wondering as a baptised member of the org, who hasnt attended either meetings or memorial in the last 4 years. (Have not been contacted by anyone apart from a lovely old sister who continues to send invites and various watchtowers on occasions) is it worth writing a letter to dissassociate myself from the JW organisation. I ask because I dont know my status within our congregation as I havent done anything wrong that would disfellowship me, and judging by the lack of contact from anyone, has a "marking talk" been held in my family and I's honour? and am I indeed already disassociated or would they send a letter to me?

I dont want to open a can of worms with contact being restablished with old brothers who I loved and trusted and yet dropped and abandoned us at the drop of a hat, the phonecalls and emotional pressure that I just know would start again at the first inkling of getting back in touch with any of the brothers and sisters, but at the same time I want to make a stand to show I disagree with the teachings and organisation and no longer want to be known as part of that organisation. Please can you give me some guidance on this as I am at a loss as to what to do for the best. Thanks in advance.

The "get to know me" bit:

I am 38 years of age, happily married for 14 years with two beautiful daughters.

For as long as I can remember I have always believed that god exists, a supreme being, a creator and the bible was his letter to his children on earth. 15 years ago I was confronted with a problem that only "HE" could answer. I wasnt part of any religious group or church, however for the first time in my life I prayed long and hard and left the problem with him...if he exisited then he would answer my honest prayer, I honestly believed that. 3 days later, a witness came to my door and did a presentation of a watchtower.....man of god....come in! Low and behold the brother (apart from having a look of utter disbelief as I ushered him into my house) went through various scriptures which were in harmony with the presentation just given at the doorstep. One of them hit the nail on the head....it was an amazing feeling, right there, god had given me his answer through his world the bible. I couldnt believe it, it was a humbling experiance to know that my prayers had been answered. A messenger from god had knocked on my door and given me the answer to my painful question that I was wrestling with.

Without hesitation, I wanted to learn more.....I had sooooo many questions about life, god, and this stranger had ALL the answers, it all fitted perfectly like a jigsaw that I was blown away. He asked if I wanted to have a bible study....you bet I did!!! I kept the two brothers up till all hours firing question after question, hungry to know the answer to lifes secret answers, the people at the congregation were amazing.....dare i say it...they were perfect. Happy, smiling and everyone wanted to say hello or chat or get to know me. Clean looking people, dressed smartly, their chilidren dressed as if they were going to a wedding not unruly urchins like some of the kids from the estate I lived in. Coming from where I had been "the world" where I had had many unsavoury experiances and dealing with unwholesome people, I had found the true religion...........I truly, truly believed that with all my heart and soul.....however appearances can be very deceptive to the untrained eye.

Eight years on, I was a MS, I was a fully fledged robotic servant of Jehovah. Cut off all my fleshly family of course, they wouldnt listen you see from my constant bombardment of insisting they would be destroyed if they didnt join gods people, the answers that would roll off my tongue against their protestations. My worldly friends who thought I had been brainwashed and turned into some religious fanatic....what did they mean...i was trying to save them, poor blinded people. Satan certainly had them in his back pocket. I had a real family now.....one that understood like I did.

My zeal was still burning brightly, my heart in the right place and tried to stimulate the congregation to even greater urgency on the platform in stirring talks as by this stage could see the congregation in a different light. The tired old faces that trudged to the meetings that didnt really want to be there, taking the lead in the field despite the lack of participation on the ministry with the same old faces turning up....not with any passion, but rather a relief to be able to put their hours in the little slip to say they were still onboard.....to me knocking on the next door with the mindset of that I might just save a life.....rather than dogmattically and unjustly tell them whatever they believed was wrong and they should believe everything I was peddling!

To me gods word is black and white....there is no grey area.....however I was soon drowning in grey, seeing elders curry favouritism, twisting scripture to defend things that were not defendable. Challenging things that were man made tradtions. How could this be? This is supposed to be gods organisation....this cant be happening....it was.....and it is......the rose tinted glasses were ripped from my eyes and a devastating realisation was dawning on me and my family. I had put every ounce of effort, energy and devotion into this man made organisation that was purely that.....the governing body cannot have a hotline to god and getting divine direction or things wouldnt be as they were......problem is...the more you start digging, the more dirt you find....piles and piles of it.

I stuck it for a further two years, battle after battle, trying to fight for whats right and being squashed at every turn, cover ups, quiet words etc I even started using questions and answers in the watchtower section to voice my concerns which then resulted in visits of brothers in a spiritual capacity having words with me. (The same brothers I went on holiday with, lent money too, opened my house for the book study/ministry meetings, trusted and knew me fromt the start) ....I stopped going the meetings. The brothers came round and said a MS shouldnt be behaving in this regard. I resigned there and then as by this stage I had visited a couple of internet sites and had ordered the book crisis of consc from amazon and read it in a nights sitting. I got it out to question some of the facts I had read......it was like having garlic waved in the face of a vampire!!!! They left and havent come back since.....no phone calls, no texts, no nothing from either my brothers and sisters who I had given everything too.

We were alone....no friends, no family....nothing. Were still here and are happy as we have made friends with so called worldly people who we choose to be friends with. Our girls are getting straight A's in school, are polite well adjusted individuals and have not had any adverse effects from being in the truth, despite being left out of parties, xmas and assemblies.

I still wholeheartedly believe in god, his son jesus and his word to us the bible. However I will never attach myself to any man made religious organisation and am comforted that god is a god of mercy and love. If he wants me in his new world order, whether it is indeed on the earth or wherever then it is he that will judge my heart, and not a man with a poncy title or a group of individuals that think they know best.

Thanks for listening and giving me the opportunity to speak.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Me Myself and I wrote:

at the same time I want to make a stand to show I disagree with the teachings and organisation and no longer want to be known as part of that organisation

PLEASE understand this: IF you DA yourself, you will be shunned as the lowest form of life, by active JWs. So long as this doesn't bother you, then DA'ing couldn't be more simple. You send a certified letter (with return receipt*) to the local elders, informing them that you are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. You also state that you do not wish to have any further contact with them whatsoever.

* This type of correspondence prevents an egomaniac elder from playing the "we didn't get your letter" game.

PS: My letter is here.

-LWT (of the DA class)

• Me Myself and I
    Me Myself and I

What a brilliant and concise letter. Thank you for offering this as a basis for the letter should I go ahead and write one.

I think its intelligent, polite, and your reasoning is outstanding. Its times like this that the benefit of having this site really shines through like a beacon. Thanks Leaving WT

• mamalove
    mamalove

I would not bother. The fact that you left makes a statement. You do not seem to have anger, or the need to make a formal point. I would let it be especially if people are not pressuring you to establish your status. JW's love labels. Why let them slap one on you?

On the other hand, I loved reading your story on your great family and success and friendships and happiness! See, it can happen without the JW's unlike they would have us all thinking.

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Don't forget to burn your blood directive on your way out. That was the first thing I did. And you don't need to justify your resignation to the elders. It's an act of unilateral will.

• undercover
    undercover

Each person, each situation is different. What worked for me may not work for you. What worked for LeavingWT may not work for you.

It comes down to what you feel you must do. If DAing yourself will give you peace of mind and causes no real consequences as far as the shunning bit, then maybe that's the way to go.

But at the same time, if you've been gone for 4 years and have virtually no contact, for all intents and purposes you're not a JW anymore anyway. Oh, you're record is still on file and you may still yet get a sheparding call...but being DAd doesn't eliminate your records or remove you from a list for elders to try to reconnect with later.

I'm a fader... went inactive, walked away and have left it behind. I have JW family so it was in my best interests to not play the WT game and give them the satisfaction of DAing. I can still associate with my family (and some old JW friends if I feel like, not very often though). Enough time has gone by that most JWs don't care about me...or even recognize me...anymore. Amazing what facial hair can do for you... At the same time, should I pop back up on the radar and start getting hassled...or if I got outed by someone who saw me do something not JW approved (more likely of the two) I am at the point where I will join LWT and send in a letter to keep them off my back. But for now, the fade has worked and worked well.

• PeaceAtLast
    PeaceAtLast

"I still wholeheartedly believe in god, his son jesus and his word to us the bible. However I will never attach myself to any man made religious organisation and am comforted that god is a god of mercy and love. If he wants me in his new world order, whether it is indeed on the earth or wherever then it is he that will judge my heart, and not a man with a poncy title or a group of individuals that think they know best."

Wonderfully put Me Myself and I. On the one hand, by formally DA yourself you are possibly succumbing to what they likely hope you will do or even expect you to do and will abruptly end the freedom you now have to go about your business without their official labels; on the other hand, if you know in your heart you cannot find true inner peace until you DA yourself that is something that must be seriously considered as well.

Peace

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Thanks very much for telling a little of yourself. Very interesting. You seem quite level headed about the whole thing at least and the best part is, all your family are with you. Just imagine the heartache for those with ''believing mates'' who they cannot get to see the shite/light.

To answer your question, I don't think it is worth it, disassociating. They are not likely to ever come and bother you again anyway. After all, it is only your everlasting life that is on the line.

As you've already experienced, life does go on without the Watchtower Society's input. What is weird is that I never realized that before, even though 99.99% of the world around me seemed to be carrying on quite happily without JW's.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

You have to answer your own question with a scale on this statement:

I dont want to open a can of worms with contact being restablished with old brothers who I loved and trusted and yet dropped and abandoned us at the drop of a hat, the phonecalls and emotional pressure that I just know would start again at the first inkling of getting back in touch with any of the brothers and sisters, but at the same time I want to make a stand to show I disagree with the teachings and organisation and no longer want to be known as part of that organisation.

Which is more important- keeping the can of worms closed or making some new statement?

You have already made your statement by not being there. What further do you think they will learn by your DA? Maybe they will start some more rumors about how "the world" got to you. To me, it isn't worth the can of worms to "hope against hope" that my stand on disagreeing with the teachings might resonate with them.

Go try to make peace with the family you lost contact with over the JW's. Otherwise, enjoy life and put them behind you.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

Well done to you for finding your way out of there with your family intact....thats such a bonus....and I agree its impossible for them to have the backing from the god of the bible.

Loz x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit