Disassociation...is it to much hassle? Please advise as need help. Thanks

by Me Myself and I 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Unless there are family contacts that you will lose, yes having a clean break is better. You have empowered yourself and can tell people you were wise enough to leave membership with Jws. Otherwise years from now you will be looking over your shoulder or dreading a visit from the Elders, and unless they have already difellowshipped you for apostacy in absentia, the Elders will come eventually. They are obliged to and some CO's are adament in their complying. If they haven't vivited you in 4 years, they may have df'd you.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Your experience on joining mirrors mine very closely. I had questions to which I wanted answers, and the answers they gave me (and the subsequent study of the Live Forever book) answered those perfectly. They did all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, and I was very impressed with the internal cohesion of the Bible and how it seemed to unlock the Bible.

Some of this, I now realise, was because of the way the NWT has been translated to support pre-existing WTS doctrines. Other teachings now seem less cohesive after reading other books that highlight scriptures that directly contradict WTS teachings (WTS books downplay those inconsistencies or contradictions and because we want to believe, we do).

Only later did I see how much of the fundamental WTS teachings are based on a grab-bag of assumptions and chronological and historical inaccuracies (never acknowledged in WTS literature, so therefore a hurdle one never needs to face). Robert Crompton's "Counting the Days to Armageddon" is a very detailed analysis of the origin of WTS eschatology and is quite an eye-opener to how the WTS arrived at dates and beliefs that are now taken as truth and a basis of their beliefs.

• Why is that only Witnesses view Armageddon as God's impending war on the "world"? (It was Rutherford's conception, one cobbled together with an assortment of texts that created the patchwork he wanted).
    • Why is that Witnesses believe God wants Christians to know his timetable for the "end times"? (Russell was convinced that, like the Da Vinci code, God had hidden such "truths" in the Bible for later discovery by a select few).
    • Why is that Witnesses believe only they will be saved at Armageddon and that one must be associated with the WTS to survive (That was Rutherford's teaching).
    • Why do Witnesses think it is so important to be different and limit their interaction with non-Witnesses (Rutherford and Knorr's teachings).

If the congregation has lost interest in you, I wouldn't bother disassociating. If there are some who maintain contact and you wish to send out a signal, then go ahead, but as already stated, they will then place a label on you and dismiss you as a loser, a victim of apostate teachings. Why give them that satisfaction?

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Do you need to have contact with any JW in the present or in the future in any way? If you are DAd or DFd they will treat you with disdain and avoid you like cancer. As long as you are aware of that.

Welcome to the board.

• Me Myself and I
    Me Myself and I

Thank you all for your contributions and I agree with the majority view that we have already made the biggest stand by not going back to the meetings. We have already shown that our allegiance doesnt lie with an organisation and didnt really view it in that way.

As a side issue......

What bible to most of you use now? Obviously the NWT has been doctored towards their own leanings and so am interested which bible is closest to the original scriptures?

Peace.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    What bible to most of you use now?

NIV and ESV

http://www.biblegateway.com/

• clarity
    clarity

Hello and welcome MMI,

Interesting story, sounds like things are going well for your family.

Lots of good advice here. In your case I would recommend just leaving this whole thing alone. But if there still seems to be a cloud hanging over your heads or you keep running into a brick wall, and if that seems worse than the bee`s nest you will stir up, then write the letter.

The bible I like is a New King James Version, also enjoy EErdmans`Handbook To The Bible.

clarity

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If you DA, do it for your own reasons and never because someone else suggests it. If you have nothing to gain by writing a letter, then there's no reason to do it.

I DA'd because I wanted them completely out of my life asap, and I welcomed the subsequent shunning. That's not the case for everyone.

W

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

Closure is a great thing and that is what the letter will bring. But I emphasize it is your decision to make. Now I have to get the nerver up to do the same.

• Me Myself and I
    Me Myself and I

A year on and I havent submitted any letter. I have had a couple of visits doing the "normal field work" I have had a good honest frank discussion with one brother who is a servant and keeps telling me how things have changed so much since I left....how they now realise how things werent getting done etc etc.....he is a nice chap....agreed with many of the things that I brought up.....

I brought out the crisis of conscience and rather than run down the road screaming "apostate".....he seemed quite surprised and then I thought....if I showed most of the brothers and sisters some of the stuff in there they would have to see some of the fog being removed.... it did with me!!!

I then had an idea.....what if......i photocopied......lets say just the generation section in there....seeing as its topical AGAIN at the moment, and posted copies to each household of my old cong in the cover of darkness of course.

With just four words on the crisp white intriuging envelope?......." Whats the real truth?"

• Diest
    Diest

I say go for it so long as it is not considered illegal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit