Anybody into aromatherapy and smell good stuff?

by littlerockguy 28 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Patchouli - love the stuff!

I also like to mix turpentine with that Lysol Deodorizing Cleaner that smells strongly of creosote.

I clean with it and it reminds me of the piney woods of my childhood.

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I like to burn nag champa. We also burn "sacred" sage. The last few days we have had rose scented candles.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

For Snow:

Exodus 30:34-37
    And the Lord said to Moses: Take unto thee spices, stacte, and onycha, galbanum of sweet savour, and the clearest frankincense, all shall be of equal weight. And thou shalt make incense compounded by the work of the perfumer, well tempered together, and pure, and most worthy of sanctification. And when thou hast beaten all into very small powder, thou shalt set of it before the tabernacle of the testimony, in the place where I will appear to thee. Most holy shall this incense be unto you. You shall not make such a composition for your own uses, because it is holy to the Lord.

Matthew 2:11
    And entering into the house, they found the child with Mary his mother, and falling down they adored him: and opening their treasures, they offered him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Apocalypse 8:3-4
    And another angel came and stood before the altar, having a golden censer: and there was given to him much incense, that he should offer of the prayers of all saints, upon the golden altar which is before the throne of God. And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.

BTS

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, Burn.

I'm convinced that the cure for whatever ails us, physically and spiritually, can be found in plants.

I love the outdoors!

Syl

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

You want your house to smell good, you could make carpet powder.

For one averaged size livingroom:

2 cups baking soda (NaHCO3)

tablespoon of borax optional

mix in glass or ceramic bowl

add up to 30 drops Essential oil ((HIGHLY variable))

Lavender or blend of inexpensive oils.

If using oils with more bite -clove, cinnamon, cardamom, eucalytus, thyme,...- reduce amount to 10 drops and try that first.

Citrus oils are very uplifiting, and you can use more, but be cautious as they are often damaging to plastics and other synthetic materials.

So you'd put the oils on the powders and stir them with a wooden or non absorbing spoon or spatula. You could use them immediatly, but storing them for a few days in a tightly sealed glass or ceramic container would allow the essences to marry and react.

Some ideas:

Clove (or cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg) + a flower (rose, lavender, ylang) = a smouldery, earthy, warming. Clove and Rose approximates Carnation.

Any citrus + Frankincense = (undergoes a scent mutation), hard to describe but very WOW! Adding a little Myrhh or Ylang or Vanilla would increase that; Pink grapefruit + Tangerine/Mandarine/bitter orange + F Incense, little Myrrh and tiny bit of Ylang approximates a sweet tart (the candy).

Auricacia has some nice blends in there listing. I especially like the Pillow Potion.

------------------------------------------------------------------

General guidlines that I follow.

Brown spices tend to go with each other, with florals, and citruses.

Green Herbals tend to go with each other, other herbs, citrus in moderation.

Florals go with florals -mostly-

Woods go with woods

Citrus with citrus

Lavender is like the Swiss Army Knife of aromatherapy, as such it can be used to harmonize blends that are not quite right.

As always, Less Is More. Also when blending, know when to stop.

There is more to it though, that's a good start. some oils are too expensive to use freely, like Sandalwood or Neroli. The story of sandalwood is very sad, I think its cool that they are growing it in Australia now. No, its not identical, but good enough. I wish someone would try growing it in Arizona.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Flatulence will get you nowhere...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Quirky!!!

Syl

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm convinced that the cure for whatever ails us, physically and spiritually, can be found in plants.

I think you might be right, or really really close to it.

BTS

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'm not the New Age/hippie type. My favorite floral is Joy, which is too heavy most of the time. I adore Lily of the Valley. Recently, I bought Mugeut de Bois from Coty b/c it was cheap. Never again. I only scented the air for fleeting seconds. My favorite Oriental is Opium but I also like Chloe Narcisse and Shalimar.

Whenever I walk in a dept store, someone is trying to sell me a new fragrance. When I was growing up, one wanted the legendary classics.

I've cut back heavily on fragrance. When I am not feeling well, it makes me ill. I don't want to inflict pain on other people. Sometimes I wonder whether I truly like the smell or the mystique associated with fine French perfume. It is a true shame I don't like fragrance that comes in a Lalique bottle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit