Favorite quote from 2011 School for Ministerial Servants

by iamwhoiam 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• VM44
    VM44
    "Higher Education doesn't guarantee a job because even people with PhDs end up working at McDonalds" - not an exact quote, but the substance of it.

And what would the speaker say DOES guarantee a job? He doesn't say. The stupid fool. (I would tell him that to his face!)

• GrandmaJones
    GrandmaJones

I think the party thing was in our area. Yes, a lot were disfellowshipped, (fifty sounds about right) and many many more were reproved. However, I don't think Facebook was involved at all. Yes, it was a multistate thing, with people I know being called to the back room in at least three states where I have friends, Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri. It was mostly young couples, and it wasn't some party that hundreds showed up at uninvited. (Although some did show up uninvited.) It was generally invitation only, and spread amoung the young people through the kind of word of mouth and friends of friends kind of thing. A lot of drinking, some pot, some sex. Wife-swapping? None of my friends admitted to that. Two young couples that I know well, (I am in fact, related to one of them) as well as several couples that I don't know well, were interviewed extensively. My young family member didn't go, but her friends may have. She was invited.) It was actually a series of parties, not just one. That's how so many came to be involved. Amazing how once the investigation got going how many ratted each other out. It was quite the scandal...

If this happened more than once, well, I guess this is really falling apart for the young isn't it?

• VM44
    VM44

Actually, the speaker isn't stupid.

He has to take a stance AGAINST higher education because that is required if he is to remain in and advance in the Watchotwer Organization!

Both Losrch and Splane of the GB have given VERY anti-education talks, and so those who want to move up know what to say.

Though, what could be a more horrible career choice to make for oneself?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

What the WT does not want the rank and file to know is this: the unemployment rate for 4 year grads is HALF of the rate for non college grads; that's right, HALF.

That puts the lie to what they are trying to say: that college does not help you get a job.

It does; the WT is lying about this, like it lies about everything else.

Pistoff

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

dontplaceliterature:

I was at this school and wondered if anyone heard a similar experience:

In the talk "Do All Things For God's Glory," my Circuit Overseer brought up the subject of balanced use of the Interent and social networking sites. When speaking of the danger of social networking sites, he mentioned a party for which invitations were sent out via Facebook to several Witnesses. As word spread, more and more people decided to go to the party and there ended up being a few hundred people there (maybe more...not in my notes). Several of the attendees were not Jehovah's Witnesses, I guess. He said that the party involved "drunkeness, fornication, drug use, and some other wrongdoing," and that "over 100 young people were either disfellowshipped or disciplined in some form or fashion." The problem involved members of "51 congregations from, 4 states, and 14 different Circuits, that we know of."

The problem wasn't the party though. He complained that once investigations began, everyone used Facebook to contact their friends who had been there, and warn them that the Elders knew about the party and were conducting investigations and that they should protect one another by keeping silent. Therefore, the entire investigationn was derailed, and the situation could never be "handled" properly by the Elders.

This seemed EXTREMELY far fetched to me, and I wondered if any other "conscious, active" Ministerial Servants or Elders on this board had heard something similar at their school.

YES! According to my source, the exact same experience was given in that talk. If you weren't both attending at the same location, it must have been part of a national or global outline.

iamwhoiam - did you hear this experience too?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

VM44:

"Higher Education doesn't guarantee a job because even people with PhDs end up working at McDonalds" - not an exact quote, but the substance of it.

And what would the speaker say DOES guarantee a job? He doesn't say. The stupid fool. (I would tell him that to his face!)

This is a basic summary of what the speaker said. He said there was a place for supplementary education but there were dangers with higher ed. 'Theocratic' ed. gives reliable answers, unlike 'the world's' ed. [!!!], and keeps us malleable (Isa. 64:8 - the Potter can mold us), meek and teachable [ahh, of course!]. Parents should plan ahead for their children and should not be ambivalent toward higher ed. Then came the 'even people with PhDs end up working in McDonald's' comment [my source's BS meter was hitting critical red on that one]. 'Seeking first the Kingdom' is the absolute guarantee [there you go, VM - guarantee of what exactly, I don't know]. Academic courses were dissed in favor of trade school. The speaker emphasized how close to the end we are and decisions on ed. reflect how seriously we take that 'fact.'

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    (everyone raises thier hands while looking around at each other).

Checking each other for apostates! self righteous finger pointers!

• Fistandantilus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit