Watchtower = Elders can disfellowship people for being too FAT!!! Has this happened?

by Witness 007 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have never heard of anyone being d/f for being overweight. Being overweight can be as bad for ones health and lifespan as smoking, so there is no reason they should apply disfellowshipping to smokers but not morbidly obese people. When my father was a CO he did once prevent a bother becoming a Ministerial Servant for being overweight.

• Listener
    Listener

The org. says that a judicial committee should be held if someone is a glutton. This is from the latest elders manual

19. Gluttony: (Prov. :20} 21;

w04 1 1 pp. 30

1) A glutton

routinely shows a lack of restraint,even gorging himself on food to the point of feeling uncomfortable or becoming sick. Gluttony is determined, not bysomeone's size, but by his

attitude toward food.

• freydo
    freydo

I remember one who used to make the platform creak. I think he died too.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Witness 007,

You sound like the old timer JWs that can't move forward from the old teachings. Hey, do you also quote stuff from when TV was black and white? When we used typewriters? When computers were the size of entire rooms? Gotta update your information library, I tell you!

Although gluttony is definitely a sin, it's one that the person suffers the price in poor health without any extra outside punishment. Having said that, yes, I'd love it if people who cannot stop their excessive eating could also not have leadership priviledges in the congregation; no obese COs, DOs, elders, MS, pioneers, thus setting the example of self-control.

I'd also like to see obese doctors/nurses/paramedics, all health care personnel, lose their jobs if they cannot maintain a healthy weight. I'm not talking a few pounds over, but rather OBESE people.

Just wishful thinking!

DY

• Sapphy
    Sapphy
    I'd also like to see obese doctors/nurses/paramedics, all health care personnel, lose their jobs if they cannot maintain a healthy weight.

How about Police, Fire-fighters, School teachers, members of the Armed Forces? How about anyone who is in a public service jobs with their wages paid for by taxes? - They should all set a good example or lose their jobs right? And how about stopping benefits / social security to anyone obese until they get to a healthy weight (defined by our government overlords)? Poor people obviously don't need the money if they can afford to be fat.

What a slippery slope to facist social engineering.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Doubtfully Yours is still a JW. He doesn't like it when "old light" is quoted.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"You sound like the old timer JWs that can't move forward from the old teachings. Hey, do you also quote stuff from when TV was black and white? When we used typewriters? When computers were the size of entire rooms? Gotta update your information library, I tell you! "

doubtfully, you just reminded me of something, Talk about not being able to move forward and quoting stuff from when TV was black and white

How come JW's still go d2d when there are faster ways to warn people of iminent danger ?

you know like the internet, TV, radio. Why knock on not at homes, when they need to get the message now

before it's too late ? as you say in your statement above " gotta update"

• wasblind
    wasblind

And another thing Doubtfully,

Did you ever get a chance to tell your co-workers that the average Dub spends money all year long

in feild service, ( no matter how high gas gets ) goin' to 1, 2, and 3 day ASSemblies, don't forget

when you pioneer, and don't forget to tell them that when your car needs to be serviced it's on you

not the publishing Co. you work for. Tellin' folks JW kids get gifts all year long. How can they when

all your money go to support this cult. Open your eyes doubtfully I'm not expectin' you to reply

to me cause you rarely if ever, do, so keep runnin'

BTTT

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

All fat JWs should be disfellowshipped. If they have a valid reason for being fat, such as a metabolic disorder, they should be required to provide the elders with copies of their medical history. In any event, they should not be granted extra privileges of service in Jehovah's congregation, nor should they be invited to congregation get togethers, for we don't want to be sharers in their sin by contributing to their fatness. They do not portray God's Holy Organization in an acceptable way. After all, it's all about appearances, right? Look in the Society's publications. You'll never see a picture of Jesus or his apostles being fat, therefore obesity must be a contemptible sin. Even Satan isn't portrayed as being fat, therefore fat people must be even worse than Satan himself!

W

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Why knock on not at homes, when they need to get the message now

Because they don't actually want to talk to anyone. They just want to maintain the appearance that they're "preaching".

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit