Ton Ten REASONS why Jehovah's Witnesses simply can't abide reality

by Terry 47 Replies latest jw friends

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I know exactly what you mean when you said "Intelligence itself is markes as suspicious". When I started talking about my differing viewpoints, an elder said "you are too smart for your own good".

• Terry
    Terry

Has anyone on the board ever tried asking this question of a JW or did anyone ask it of you?

Do you know any JWs who were sufficiently disturbed by this that they actually starting re-examining the religion?

I personally can only remember it ever coming up once when I first started studying with JW's. I asked why the Witnesses didn't form their own Jehovah-approved charity.

The answer, I see now, was a deflection. It was pointed out to me how churches engage in so much fund raising for projects and missions that very little of the funds (proportionately) go to the actual cause for raising the money.

I more reflectively consider now that this would be an even stronger indication of the NEED for Jehovah-directed charitable foundation than an excuse to do nothing.

I also reflect on how little actual value in any practical sense there ever was in anything given to a householder at the door in field service.

Talk about percentage of waste to benefit analysis!

• sabastious
    sabastious

All I heard while reading this was the JW inside me, and the JWs I have been around screaming at the top of their lungs how attacked they were in that article.

Fact is, it's all true. It's the bitter cold truth that pierces the soul. It hurts, but is liberating for me and many others on this board. We are survivers people, survivers.

-Sab

• Ding
    Ding

Typical WT dodge: Criticize Christendom for doing little while you are doing nothing!

Besides, in reality many churches do a LOT for for the poor -- homeless shelters, rescue missions, soup kitchens, and the like.

• flipper
    flipper

1. Mind Control - rinse repeat

2. Mind Control - rinse repeat

3. Mind Control - rinse repeat

4. Mind Control - rinse repeat

5. Mind Control - rinse repeat

6. Mind Control - rinse repeat

7. Mind Control - rinse repeat

8. Mind Control - rinse repeat

9. Mind Control - rinse repeat

10. Mind Control - rinse repeat

Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Very well done. More effective than arguing doctrinal dispute. My father was a bodyguard to Rutherford and Knorr. He had been a coal miner when Joe Leiws organized the UMW. Lewis impressed my father who was secretly prounion. The union is stronger than religion in those very small company towns. It disturbed him deeply that the Witnesses did not provide for their own. They are so antigovernment one would expect that they would take the lead in providing services, at least to fellow Witnesses. Jesus promotes a radical social gospel. But then again, who is Jesus? Only God.

The Witnesses I knew, which may not be typical, were ignorant. They were functionally illiterate. It was so embarassing being in a 98% black congregation when all the big shots were white. And how those white males were adored by helpless sisters who could run their own lives just fine. Questioning itself is viewed as demonic. My father loved to research and debate but it led him into corners that frustrated him. He despised Catholics and fought with them over the Bible at work to the point where his job was going, going, gone. He met his match in a seminarian. It had to do with the translation of spirit. He admitted defeat and spiraled into a depression.

If one could ever pry them away where they had to interact with people and use their own minds, I feel most would leave --save for shunning.

Jesus words are emphatic. My uncle did time at Danbury during WWII. I can totally believe that no support was given. My mom was traumatized to her death b/c this family friend that she may have married was young and brash. He went beyond what his lawyers told him to say to the judge. He stood up and preached to the judge with fervor, an action that cost him three more years. The judge was a jerk. Isn't there a famous phrase when someone who was blacklisted was told he had many supporters. He said he was surprised b/c when he appeared before the judge no one would even smile at him. It is a funny phrase.

My private life has always involved dumbing down for approval while the rest of society expects competence and brilliance from me. It is hard to go from one extreme to the other. Intelligence is a gift of God. I once argued that if J. wanted women so servient why weren't we all born with mental retardation. God should want all our strengths and then more.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I asked why the Witnesses didn't form their own Jehovah-approved charity.

I questioned this myself especially since we were proclaiming that are organization that we belong to

is the one and only true Christain based faiths.

It is for this reason making a comparison to all Christian based faiths out there that the JWS

come out close to the bottom in conducted themselves in accordance to Christ's own direction for his followers.

The JWS are unfortunately following the direction of a publishing company, pretentiously false one at that.

• dgp
    dgp

Great post! I personally saw the aspect of "We're all the same".

• I quit!
    I quit!

Terry said: "When I was in prison over the Neutrality issue from 1967 to 1969 I never received a single card or letter from my own Kingdom Hall back home or a visit from a congregation member. My own best friend visited me only once. When I was parolled and entered the Kingdom hall for the first time in years nobody asked me how it was or what they could do to help the other brothers in there.

Very telling, indeed."

That is very telling. During that same period my future brother-in-law was in Viet Nam. Were were always sending things to him as did others. I didn't get involve with the Jdubs till the early 70s but there were witnesses in jail at that time and not once did ever hear about anything ever being done for them. To my knowledge they didn't even provide draft counseling or legal counseling for those facing jail time. I'm sure the Watchtower would claim it would be wrong to do something that would draw attention to them because it would glorify the individual or some nonsense like that.

Many of the things you mention that JWs aren't allow to get involved in are things they have no problem taking advantage of when they need them. This is why I consider the Watchtower to be a parasitical organization. They contribute very little to the community they depend on.

By the way I enjoyed your music. I listened to it several times before I left the house this morning. You talented people really irritate me.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

The WTS. has been mostly concerned about self sustainability in its core structure.

Keeping an eye on who is pushing their literature and how much these individuals are succeeding in their endeavor.

Persons who shows up at Kingdom Halls just to attend talks - good person

Persons who occasionally goes out in service a - better person

Persons who give talks and pioneers full time - much better person

Persons who does all of this and becomes a CO or DO executive for the WTS. is even better above the majority of the better,

climbing right up to the top level of the pyramid of the organization the GB.

So its easy to see the obtainable levels of power thats structured within the organization and why there will

always be men who will strive to reach that glorious top level of power, elevating his own personal stature and

prominence in doing so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit