GLOBAL WARMING - "Snowfalls are a thing of the past"

by Nathan Natas 92 Replies latest jw friends

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman
    We need to adapt to global warming: move the cities back from the oceans, move toward the poles a bit. New york may one day be like venise. You don't hear venesians crying all the time.

New York City is supoosed to get 30cm of snow tonight and tomorrow.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cbc-article.aspx?cp-documentid=26910917

http://www.freep.com/article/20101226/NEWS05/101226011/1319/Metro-Airport-sees-delays-as-storm-hammers-East

abe

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman
    "personal responsibility", "...we continue to ignore it until it is too late to do anything about it"
    using the terms climate change or global warming is not the debate. The debate is whether man can have an effect on the fluctuations in climate that can be scientifically proven to have occurred for eons.

Yep, that Laki eruption in 1783 caused very significant temperature and weather changes.

We have had many volcanic eruptions this year.

I suspect it will also make a big difference.

abe

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Further to besty's post, perhaps this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-F8EO3qOVk

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

add to that the Russian, British Columbia and Israel forest fires.

• ablebodiedman
    ablebodiedman

oh yes, and the Gulf of Mexico oil fires!

• moshe
    moshe

We have had a few years of weak sunspot activity, which could be a harbinger of reduced solar output and corresponding reduced temperatures on Earth. We will know by 2020, if the Sun's output of energy is indeeed weakening. By the time humans see start of a mini-ice age it will be too late to find a cheap house in Florida.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

From what I have observed as to how surface air temperatures are now measured at many weather stations, I will admit to being more than a little sceptical.

As a result of the economic and political changes that occured 15 - 20 years ago, many weather stations were shut down and much of the skills base was lost. Some new weather stations were established, but often by people who had little idea of what they were doing.

So that today's temperature reading can be compared with that taken tomorrow and on all subsequent days, thermometers are supposed to be housed in a ventilated, white painted wooden box - known as a "Stevenson Screen."

This box should be mounted four feet off the ground, away from all buldings, and over a grass lawn:

- direct sunlight on the thermometer, and also heat reflected off the ground or radiated off buildings will greatly affect the thermometer reading.

Yet in all too many instances in recent times, this knowledge seems to have been lost when new weather stations have been established :

- partly to blame, I feel, are the full "Weather Station" kits that are readlily obtainable from any electronic store.

- invariably, the instructions come with no reference made to the need to shade the thermometer.

(Yet none of this is rocket science - I recall these things being covered in detail during Grade 9 geography at high school).

I saw a classic back in 2006:

- A Platinum Resistance Thermometer (PRT) was mounted directly above a long run iron roof, totally exposed to the full heat of the tropical sun.

- Then, to further add to the heating effect, this thermometer was in the direct path of the exhaust gases of eight 10 500 hp gas turbine engines.

As a result, the climate statistics for the Tari Valley area of Papua New Guinea WILL be showing a marked "warming trend" since 2006!

(The most disappointing thing of the lot about the establishment of this "weather station" was that nobody was at all interested when I attempted to explain to them about the use of a Stevenson Screen - and about mounting it over the grass lawn on the other side of the building.)

My thoughts, anyway!

Bill.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Great point, Bungi.

Meanwhile the smug proponents of this hoax have adopted the pejorative term "deniers" (apostates?) for those who will not just close their eyes and jump onto the bandwagon. Observing the decline in enthusiasm by the international community for adopting the Kyoto protocols, as at the Iceland meet recently, we deniers seem to be in company with people in powerful positions who have decided not to enslave their economies to this BS that is fast fading in credibilty.

Bohm's Youtube clip above is a great example of the methods used in trying to create a "we're smarter than you dumb hicks" intimidation campaign. The same tactic was used to try and belittle the Tea Party movement. "Those backward Tea Baggers...snicker, snicker" Didn't work very well did it?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I rarely comment on climate change posts due to the sheer emotions stirred and personal attacks between posters. What I will say is that Simon's comment, to me, made the most sense. Whether you are a believer or denier of climate change, surely we can all agree that the environment is being heavily affected by human over use of resources.

We are personally responsible for our use/abuse of resources. I am scepitical (in the true sense of the word) of current media mad scientists making outrageuos claims, but (over many years) I have made the move to growing a lot of my own vegetables, driving a diesel vehicle, massively cutting my coal fired power use, use solar hot water and have been involved in native revegetation for a number of years. This planet is very robust if given a chance. What do you do to lessen your affect on the environment?

• bohm
    bohm

Yes, Gregor, but i didnt make the video. Was it wrong and was you right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit