Why Christmas Is Important

by metatron 14 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Every year, I take some time to express my admiration and respect for Christmas.

Yes, Christmas, folks.

I don't give a rat's a$$ when Jesus was or wasn't born. I don't care how many gift giving orgies the Romans had. I don't care about "pagan" customs derived from religions that are long dead, anyway. And I particularly don't care about hypocritical Jehovah's Witnesses who ignore the occult origins of the Watchtower while piling up millions of pieces of paper loaded with occult symbols (duh..... the Dollar Bill)

I care about Christmas for the same reasons that 'worldly people' have such trouble letting go of the holiday - its strong relation to preserving extended family relationships.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are secular days off for almost everybody - including school kids. They give you the opportunity to visit and eat with all your relatives, otherwise forgotten. You exchange presents and maintain social links. Native Americans knew about 'potlatch' customs and they made sense.

The Witness Alternative? "We can give presents anytime of the year". Yeah, you can but 'the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon.... we'll have a good time then' Know the song? Understand its point? Busy, busy, busy in Witnessland and elsewhere, it just doesn't happen.

My self righteous, hyperloyal Witness relatives get together when someone dies, at a funeral. Think 'worldly people' can do better, perhaps when extended relatives are still alive?

The Witness venom directed at Christmas serves the Watchtower's purpose of breaking family and social bonds so that people can be dominated and manipulated by distant, cold-hearted cult leaders. It's that simple.

Don't be fooled by them or their lack of charitable, kind-hearted intent.

metatron

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

metatron- I always enjoy reading your posts..this is a good one at the right time for me personally. I admit I've had a negative attitude toward Christmas even after my exit almost two years ago. Much of it is probably because I quickly moved from JW to agnostic, and there just isn't any meaning for me. It just doesn't feel right, but I know its because of the cult indoctrination that I've experienced from birth. Hopefully next year I can make a little headway...

The Witness venom directed at Christmas serves the Watchtower's purpose of breaking family and social bonds so that people can be dominated and manipulated by distant, cold-hearted cult leaders. It's that simple

I loved this thought. So true and so sad. The way the b0rg slices and dices families apart was something I never fully understood while in, even though I had experienced first hand.

The busy, busy, busy of WT victims insures they very few will stop and take time for their worldly relatives. Sadly, in their mind they are just collateral damage in the ever-delayed day of Armageddon

• leavingwt
  • Open mind
    Open mind

Excellent!!!

Here's to a very Merry Christmas!!

om

• badcompany
    badcompany

Right on! and Merry Christmas to all. Good night...

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yep

• trillaz
    trillaz

Muslims and Jews don't celebrate Christmas. They have extended family they always have to give reasoning on not celebrating. It's celebration for good reasons or bad and whether you believe it has religious connotations or not were not created by the society. I respect your decision, but welcome to the real world of choice.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I believe Christmas is important for a variety of reasons. If you are Christian, it is the biggest holiday of the year because you are commemorating the birth of your Savior.

But even if you are not Christian, Christmas is important. It is a day that is dedicated to peace and joy. You can observe it by participating in family gatherings to enjoy each other. You can enjoy the material blessings, including food and the presents. (Yes, even commercializing it cannot totally ruin it). You can enjoy the festive atmosphere--the colored lights, the sounds, and the general celebration (though, for obvious reasons, I do NOT recommend drinking and driving). You can just relax, doing a nice quiet observance of whatever you see in Christmas.

Whatever you see in Christmas, it is well to observe it. Some do see Christ. Others see peace and joy. Some see a nice quiet day to relax; others, to have fun. Still others see it as freedom--such as freedom from religion that bans it. Or, a slap in Jehovah's face--as I see it, Jesus was the second major attempt to liberate mankind from Jehovah. (Satan was the first.) Either way, Merry Christmas!

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I fully agree metatron.

• littlebird
    littlebird

Merry Christmas, I wish you all a wonderful day!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit