Why Christmas Is Important

by metatron 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Here is another perspective: Traditions, Rituals and Celebrations are Important to Families

It seems to me that the WTS has developed regular meetings and conventions, etc., with the specific intent to create for JWs a kind of surrogate for Worldlyâ„¢ events like Christmas, birthdays and other holidays.

However, the kicker is that those surrogate events are focussed entirely on the WTS, not on the family the way traditional observances are.

• trillaz
    trillaz

I suppose if it helps to think that everything the WTS says is untrue. But there are truths and many Christians who do not follow the WTS do not celebrate Christmas.

What actually drew me in was that they considered themselves Christans and did not worship Christmas. What drew me out was the organization itself, but

that does not make everything that you already know and learned invalid. In fact, most of the world knows these things.

Consiider this, if it is not about centuries old tradition based on something, then use no trees, don't speak about Santa and especially not allow children to pray to Santa. Matter of fact, don't call it Christmas but something like "festivus". Will your family accept you if you did this, or will they insist that if you celebrate Christmas, you do it "right"?

• The Finger
    The Finger

I don't think Christmas is important. In fact I loathe it. The gaudy decorations. The expense.

If it was truly about the birth of Christ that would be different but unfortunately it has become a full of commercial greed.

Family and friends are important all year as are those less fortunate.

I never celebrated a Christmas as a JW. I don't celebrate it now. I am glad "the Word became flesh"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"If it was truly about the birth of Christ that would be different"

This is a valid way to celebrate Christmas. There are those who forgo a gaudy celebration for a more religious one. You can go to church on Christmas Eve if you so see fit, you can read and meditate on the Bible (focusing on parts of the Gospels, because you are honoring Jesus), donate to charity (the Salvation Army and Red Cross both help those who fall into need for reasons beyond their control), and maybe have a few religious decorations. It is possible to display a Nativity scene, angels on a tree with clear lights, crosses, and other religous theme decorations. You can also find religious Christmas carols. You don't need to spend a lot of money, do ridiculous amounts of shopping, and pig out to have a valid Christmas celebration.

• designs
    designs

Last night we sat down to a beautiful dinner with lifelong friends and new friends and afterwards exchanged gifts, anonymous gifts, you draw a number and pick from them. Everyone is involved in various Charities and environmental work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit