Evolution in a Theological context

by PSacramento 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

PSacacremento I enjoy your post.

Are you familiar with the institute for creation research?

http://www.icr.org/

If you are not. If you give them your address they will send you every month a magazine that makes the argument

for God, Jesus and the bible and creatioin. They argue a young earth. Its an organization of scientist.

If you believe the bible you pretty much have to believe in a young earth, you have to believe in creation, you have to believe in adam,

and you have to believe in the fall, you have to believe in Jesus.

This organization wil give you lots of information, evidence and facts to support that belief.

Personally I find believing in the bible and God comforting, but it takes work. Just like it takes work to be an atheist.

If the atheist say it doesnt take work to be an atheist, why are they always arguing their point? Thats work and they are

trying to see who will salute their flag so they can flock together with the birds of a feather. Also they are arguing their

points looking for loopholes testing their theories.

And to be fair I'm sure Christians do the same thing.

I have learned one thing in 58 years, if you believe it, you will see it.

And its brother watch what you wish for, watch what you believe.

If you choose to believe there is no God, you will see evidence for no god.

If you choose to believe there is a God, you will see evidence for a God.

If you choose to believe you are wealthy, you will see evidence to back up your wealth.

If you choose to believe you are poor, you will see evidence to back up your being poor.

It goes on and on and on.

Birds of a feather flock together.

I love this site JWD, but you wont find a lot of spiritually up lifting vibes here.

Most folks here are pretty beat up and damaged, the watchtower did a number on them and they blame god.

Once they lean that way to blame God, then they start collecting the data.

They believe it and they see it.

Its the story of Job all over again on varying degrees of scale.

• wobble
    wobble

I cannot agree jaguarbass, with much that you say above.

you imply that I, or we who no longer believe in God, blame God because we found out the WT had done a number on us.

I never did, I came to realise that the WT was a fraud and had lied to me, but I never blamed God, why should I ?

I then began to search for God, He never showed.

I then began to seek evidence for the existence of God, it was not a matter of "choosing not to believe in God", it was a case of looking for some evidence that He exists, I found none, bar the subjective testimony of people who do believe. That is not proof, in a scientific or forensic sense.

Surely if He exists, and wishes us to know He does, He would have given us something to hang our belief on, apart from blind credulity ?

I know that many find comfort in believing something which has no proof, it stops having to face several hard realities, but please, do not belittle our intellectual position, yours is the one that needs support and proof, you are making huge claims, we are simply saying we cannot join your la la land without good reason and solid evidence for what you claim.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I would be interested to know at what point in evolution God is believed to have inserted a soul into each human, thus distinguishing humans from the animal kingdom?

It was this very issue that brought the Christian church into opposition with Darwin.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Wobble, I understand what your saying and I'm not belittling your intellectual position.

I take my hat off to atheist and all the intellectual work they have done to make the argument there is no God.

As a juror on this great issue of life, I find the scales pretty evenly ballanced and I use my faith to tip them

pro God, pro creation.

I know stereotypes are not always valid.

For some reason you have chosen not to see evidence for God.

God was at the kingdom hall. God was in the watchtower. God is in the bible.

God is everywhere. You can not get away from God.

God is in the Catholic Church. God is always chasing us, we cant get away from him.

This life is a journey, a trip with God.

Much of the evidence for God is the same evidence atheist use for proof there is no God.

The earths relationship distance from the sun, the tilt of its axis the seasons, the moon, gravity, the brain

conciousness, the eye. Bacteria changing, micro evolving, adapting, so that it can scavenge.

These things are all evidence of God, but you see it as evidence of no god.

Its a choice. You choose not to see it.

And I choose to see it.

I totally respect your choice not to believe in God. I have read many books supporting atheism.

I dont understand it, but I accept it.

Atheism doesnt work for me. So I have to live in La La land.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Gladiator the answer to your question may be in the 98% dna that man cant read known as junk dna.

Maybe all your past lifes are there. Maybe the answer to your question of when your soul was added is there.

• whereami
    whereami

WOW.,jaguarbass just wow!!! Really is that really what you think? I don't even know were to start.

Wobble pretty much said it. I just can't believe you actualy reason this way.

Jw in you much?

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR
    Gladiator the answer to your question may be in the 98% dna that man cant read known as junk dna. Maybe all your past lifes are there. Maybe the answer to your question of when your soul was added is there.

jaguarbass Thanks for attempting to shed some light on this divine mystery.

I don't believe I have a soul. My question is for those who believe they have a soul, and also believe in evolution at the same time.

For me, the down-side of being without a soul, is that my death will be final. The up-side is that there will be nothing to send to hell when I expire.

I hope your faith continues to bring you comfort.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Every living creature has a soul.

With the passing of times soul and spirit got a bit mixed up and interchanged and even became, to some, the samething.

Soul doctrines are varied, We say something has "soul" when it is alive ( soulful music for example) and that something has "Spirit" when it is full of energy or untameable ( Spirited horse).

Mind, body and soul or spirit, body and soul, the "trinity" of what we are.

Evolution doesn't address the soul or spirit just as it doesn't address consience or thought or existence in of itself.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento I have always believed that the development of thought was a major part of evolution.

The Christian church has for many centuries, believed that humans are distinct from other creature due to having a souls capable of surviving death. Perhaps this has all changed. I am just trying to keep up. I am about to read the link you put in your opening post. Perhaps that will straighten me out.

I hope you have a relaxing Christmas. You need to rest after your phenomena and entertaining output on this site.

As I said above (to Jaguarbass) - I hope your faith continues to bring you comfort.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Gladiator:

The concept of soul ( and spirit) has not remained constant in the bible, from the OT to the NT and even beyond that to the teachings of those that came later.

I will have Christmas-eve with my in-laws, but worry not for I have stocked up the bar !!

Christmas day will be with my non-JW sister and BIL, day after I have cousins coming over and Monday I have dinner with my JW family.

All in all it will be quite fun from my little ones and will give me a chance to practise my Mantras !!

All the best to you and your loved ones my friend, may love always be your guiding force :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit