Evolution in a Theological context

by PSacramento 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you, Aguest, but be warned that i am suffering from a bad cocktail of moms cooking, wine and no girlfriend that have put me in a strange mood :-).

Duly noted (and sorry?), dear Bohm, and again, peace to you!

With respect to item 1: I understand you agree with me you was not describing evolution, and actually critisizing a non-evolutionary idea. If your underlying point was that a bull and a lion has a common ancestor, and that it takes a leap of faith to believe that, i will completely agree with you -- we got to examine the evidence and see if they support such a claim.

I was not describing evolution, per se, no, but I have to respectfully disagree that the idea I criticized was non-evolutionary. I realize that there are different understandings of what “evolution” is… and that some might wish to say, “Oh, I didn’t mean that” when speaking of “evolution”… but perhaps “something else.” I was generalizing… and being a bit absurd… but I was describing the very evolutionary idea that says “ The similarities between all present day organisms indicate the presence of a common ancestor from which all known species have diverged through the process of evolution.” 1 Meaning, the theory of universal common descent through an evolutionary process, which Darwin described in his book On the Origin of Species. 2

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_history_of_life

2 http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F401&pageseq=1

Item 2: IMHO, that [that kinds evolve right now] is speculation. No its not, its observed in laboratories and in the field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment.

Actually, your article kind of proves what my position: 12 nearly identical populations of the same bacteria were studied. 50,000 generations were cultivated, and all adapted to changes in their environment, some more than others. I can’t see where, however, such adaptations changed them… from e.coli bacteria to something else. They simply became stronger, adaptive strains of e.coli. Now, since e.coli is a SPECIES, I wouldn’t have been surprised if, say, two of the 12 had “mated” (but since they were asexual that is highly unlikely)… and resulted in yet another species. Or, say, 1 or 2 of the 12 somehow got in with… or caught a virus from, say, one of the other escherichia species and evolved an entirely new species from that.

But there is nothing to suggest that any one of the 12 populations would have, at some point, ANY point, evolved into, say, s. enterica… which is another bacteria, yes, even of the same “kind” (class/order/family)… but of a different GENUS (salmonella… vs. the escherichia genus of which e.coli is a species).

Since “sapiens” is the only species in the genus “homo” I can see nothing in the experiment to show that we evolved from and/or are evolving to another species, genus, or otherwise. Now, I realize that there are some whose position is that the other “homo” species all died out/are extinct. Sorry, but I cannot buy that. I get the whole “natural selection” and “survival of the fittest” ideology. But given two “facts” (one, that we haven’t seemed to evolve “since”… and there is absolutely no evidence that we are, physically… and two, of the 125 or so “discoveries”… all but two were “discovered” after Mr. Darwin published his book. Only 11 were “discovered” over 100 years ago… and 80% were “discovered” in the last 50 years.

Not that I have a problem with progress and modern discoveries, not at all. Like you, with regard to my faith, I just haven’t seen any evidence to support the theory (and it is a theory) that “ all present day organisms indicate the presence of a common ancestor from which all known species have diverged through the process of evolution.” I DO believe that all present day organisms have a common ancestor. But I don’t believe we “evolved” from it. Rather, I believe that it is a him… that ALL life and thus living organisms got their origin from him… not BY him… but FROM him, his essence… and thus all life DOES share certain commonalities.

But I don’t agree that we “evolved” from it (him)… but that all life contains a “piece” of him, which is why such commonalities exist. Since he IS the Life… and was the Source used to bring life into existence… it is absolutely understandable that all living things share certain DNA commonalities.

I believe the same initial building block (which could be the most basic part of DNA ) that was used to create, say, the Pan (chimpanzee) genus… was also used, with slight variation, to create, the Homo (man) genus. And, with slightly greater variation, the Gorilla genus. And with more variation, the Pongo genus. And with even more variation, the gibbon genera. I believe that same initial ingredient, component, block, whathaveyou… was used to create ALL life, whether it be plant, animal, bacteria, single-celled… whatever.

I believe there was (is) one… who was a kind of “mother dough” (you might have to read up on sourdough to understand)… and that all life is just a variation on that Dough’s original recipe. For instance, some batches have raisins, some have chocolate chips, some have nuts… some have more, some have less… but they all lead back to that mother dough. Christ. The One through whom all creation came into existence… the One used BY God TO create the physical universe. Not technically… but literally.

As to what happens over millions of year, well, there are several lines of evidence that provide testimony and we can always discuss that.

I would be happy to discuss that, because that’s primarily where my doubts come in… that we believe we know what occurred over millions of years. Thousands of years, even tens of thousands don’t cause me a problem. Millions? Sorry, but there’s just too many possibilities/variables. And no, I don’t believe in a literal 24-hour creative day.

But that evolution is ongoing is an undeniable fact (you might choose to call it variation within a kind, but that you have another name for it hardly prevent it from happening).

You misunderstand me: I absolutely believe in evolution… and that it IS ongoing... within the species,excluding homo sapien. As I have stated on many an occasion. It is why we have so many species of plants, animals, bacteria, etc. But I don’t believe in evolution of homo sapien OR all from one common ancestor. I believe in creation from one such common ancestor.

Also, we can’t just dismiss some theory because there are no eye-witnesses to it; if we did that we had to throw away most of cosmology and plate tectonics.

Yet, you wish to do that with regard to what I believe… for the very reason that you don’t believe there are eye-witnesses… when in MY case, there are… and many recorded what they saw. How IS that, exactly?

If God is telling you personally that evolution did not happen i cannot really argue with that –

Not God. Christ. And yes, there is a difference. A BIG difference. Because they are not one and the same, contrary to what many, particularly many “christians”, believe.

but i am sure you understand that if I told you that Zeus had told me that evolution DID occur you would not see that as a particular convincing argument.

That you simply told me, no. If, however, you told me that he could tell me, as well… and I bothered to check it out and he did… OR, if you told me that what he told you is recorded… well, I couldn’t totally and absolutely dismiss you, either. I could only tell you WHY I don’t believe you… and either offer my reasons/proof… or ask you to clarify or provide more as to YOUR reasoning/proof.

We can only discuss the physical facts in a meaningful way, and if one or both of us has a personal revelation from God we should properly leave that out of the conversation.

Contrary to what many believe… I not only have no problem discussing purely the physical facts, but I actually took an active interest and studied them, perhaps to a lesser degree than some, but I did bother. I mean, how can I know what you believe if I don’t even bother to investigate it even a little? Now, you and some others might say you’ve already "investigated" what I believe. But because you most probably base that on what the WTBTS or some other religion has taught… I would have to vehemently disagree and say that you really haven’t investigated what I am sharing with you.

Item 3: If you wrote a scientist and told him that you had not examined any physical evidence, or read any books on the subject, but you nevertheless had an idea that proved his life work wrong, yah, he would properly be quite skeptical and ask you to read a basic book on anthropology before you spoke. But would you really be acting in line with the bible (or plain common sence) in doing so?

First, I would never do that. IF I wrote to a scientist, I would have read up on him and what he believed, some agreeing and some opposing positions, and then prepared a proper paper/essay with an adequately outline argument as to why I disagree. C’mon, dear one… give me SOME credit…

Im not sure i understand the zoo-idea, could you perhaps describe how it affect humanoid fossils found in africa and china?

I only include the zoo because of your scenario. Chimps left in the wild... or in a zoo but pretty much left alone (i.e., not fooled around with).

The problem is not that there is 20-odd fossils that may have been very ill or deformed – it’s that ALL which are "old" show the same type of deformities.

In the cases where more than one were found, yes. But again, that doesn’t say to ME that these weren’t community anonmalies, contrivances (i.e., because some HAVE been faked), or were the product of evolution. Again, of the 125-odd “discoveries” made thus far, only TWO occurred before Mr. Darwin’s “theory.” Both of THOSE are considered “Neanderthals.” He comes up with a theory… although there were many, MANY scientists who didn’t give a care about religion before him, brilliant men… and women… and then all of a sudden all of these discoveries are made. MOST based on very small fragments. Forgive me for being as skeptical about the “science” as you are about my faith.

You suggest there may have been a wide-spread disease like AIDS which has caused this, but its pretty strange this disease altered the morphology of the skeletons to such an extend, and that NO normal humans are found which date to that age.

I think the “date to that age” also poses a problem for me – there are two sides to that coin, as well. Either way, I don’t know that I believe that NO normal humans are/were found that date to that age, dear one. NOR do I believe that, given the environmental conditions at the time, say, perhaps a tainted water source, who knows... such an anomaly could NOT have occurred with several, even hundreds, of people. Even cultural anomalies. For example, there are tribes where the women were believed to be born with extra-ordinarily long necks. Turns out, the heavy rings they place around their necks push the shoulders down, forming a deformity. Elsewhere, people who share the exact same DNA markers with those who are of normal height and bone growth are severely stunted due to malnutrtion.

Am I suspicious of science? I guess you could say that, although the better statement is that I am suspicious of man. Why? Because h e has a tendency to push, even fabricate, whatever it is he believes… even if he has to make up “proof” to support it. Like bogus jawbones. And things like the “Shroud of Turin” which is "supposed" to hold the image of Christ (sheesh!).

At any rate one can imagine many fanciful explanations -- the simplest explanation is that the hundreds of fossils actually represent what lived in those days.

Or… that they are only a faction of what lived in those days… and not necessarily related to modern man at all… that [modern] man is just what he has always been… and these others, if not man were something else, but not descendants of homo sapien at all, ever.

I don’t have a problem that we disagree, dear one. It is curious to me, however, that when it boils down it is you who accuse me of what you are doing: taking issue without knowing the facts. I do attempt to learn the facts – I am not sure those like you do. Again, yes, I know… most of you “tried” religion. But that is nothing like what I am speaking about, sharing. Not even close. It is like me saying I took a class on evolution taught by someone I now know doesn’t have a clue, but continue to say I “understand” evolution, now. See?

But, no worries, dear Bohm: I don’t have a problem with ALL of evolution, just some of it, primarily as a result of the faked stuff (and there has been faked stuff). In the same vein, I just wish folks didn’t allow fake christs to cause them to have a problem with ALL faith… but perhaps just some of it (i.e., the faked, I don’t REALLY know what I’m talking about but since YOU don’t know that, here, take this… kind).

Again, peace to you, and thank you for graciously allowing the discussion. We don’t have to end here, of course, but in case we do… thank you! I realize our dialogue is long, but that's only because we're playing it out, here. Were to have a verbal discussion, I would wager even more time would be spent.

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

Peace to you, Aguest, but be warned that i am suffering from a bad cocktail of moms cooking, wine and no girlfriend that have put me in a strange mood :-).

Duly noted (and sorry!), dear Bohm, and again, peace to you! As you can see, my initial attempt to post had some formatting "problems", which I was unable to "fix" within the 30 minute time allotted (although, MY clock said only 18 minutes had passed!), so I've done so again, here.

With respect to item 1: I understand you agree with me you was not describing evolution, and actually critisizing a non-evolutionary idea. If your underlying point was that a bull and a lion has a common ancestor, and that it takes a leap of faith to believe that, i will completely agree with you -- we got to examine the evidence and see if they support such a claim.

I have to respectfully disagree, dear Bohm. I realize that there are different understandings of what "evolution" is... and that some might wish to say, "Oh, I didn't mean that" when speaking of "evolution"... but perhaps "something else." I was generalizing... and being a bit absurd... but I was describing the very evolutionary idea that says "The similarities between all present day organisms indicate the presence of a common ancestor from which all known species have diverged through the process of evolution." 1 Meaning, the theory of universal common descent through an evolutionary process, which Darwin described in his book On the Origin of Species. 2

1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_history_of_life

2 http://darwin-online.org.uk/content/frameset?viewtype=text&itemID=F401&pageseq=1

Item 2: IMHO, that [that kinds evolve right now] is speculation. No its not, its observed in laboratories and in the field: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._coli_long-term_evolution_experiment.

Actually, your article kind of proves what my position: 12 nearly identical populations of the same bacteria were studied. 50,000 generations were cultivated, and all adapted to changes in their environment, some more than others. I can't see where, however, such adaptations changed them... from e.coli bacteria to something else. They simply became stronger, adaptive strains of e.coli. Now, since e.coli is a SPECIES, I wouldn't have been surprised if, say, two of the 12 had "mated" (but since they were asexual that is highly unlikely)... and resulted in yet another species. Or, say, 1 or 2 of the 12 somehow got in with... or caught a virus from, say, one of the other escherichia species and evolved an entirely new species from that.

But there is nothing to suggest that any one of the 12 populations would have, at some point, ANY point, evolved into, say, s. enterica... which is another bacteria, yes, even of the same "kind" (class/order/family)... but of a different GENUS (salmonella... vs. the escherichia genus of which e.coli is a species).

Since "sapiens" is the only species in the genus "homo" I can see nothing in the experiment to show that we evolved from and/or are evolving to another species, genus, or otherwise. Now, I realize that there are some whose position is that the other "homo" species all died out/are extinct. Sorry, but I cannot buy that. I get the whole "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest" ideology. But given two "facts" (one, that we haven't seemed to evolve "since"... and there is absolutely no evidence that we are, physically... and two, of the 125 or so "discoveries"... all but two were "discovered" after Mr. Darwin published his book. Only 11 were "discovered" over 100 years ago... and 80% were "discovered" in the last 50 years.

Not that I have a problem with progress and modern discoveries, not at all. Like you, with regard to my faith, I just haven't seen any evidence to support the theory (and it is a theory) that "all present day organisms indicate the presence of a common ancestor from which all known species have diverged through the process of evolution." I DO believe that all present day organisms have a common ancestor. But I don't believe we "evolved" from it. Rather, I believe that it is a him... that ALL life and thus living organisms got their origin from him... not BY him... but FROM him, his essence... and thus all life DOES share certain commonalities.

But I don't agree that we "evolved" from it (him)... but that all life contains a "piece" of him, which is why such commonalities exist. Since he IS the Life... and was the Source used to bring life into existence... it is absolutely understandable that all living things share certain DNA commonalities.

I believe the same initial building block (which could be the most basic part of DNA) that was used to create, say, the Pan (chimpanzee) genus... was also used, with slight variation, to create, the Homo (man) genus. And, with slightly greater variation, the Gorilla genus. And with more variation, the Pongo genus. And with even more variation, the gibbon genera. I believe that same initial ingredient, component, block, whathaveyou... was used to create ALL life, whether it be plant, animal, bacteria, single-celled... whatever.

I believe there was (is) one... who was a kind of "mother dough" (you might have to read up on sourdough to understand)... and that all life is just a variation on that Dough's original recipe. For instance, some batches have raisins, some have chocolate chips, some have nuts... some have more, some have less... but they all lead back to that mother dough. Christ. The One through whom all creation came into existence... the One used BY God TO create the physical universe. Not technically... but literally.

As to what happens over millions of year, well, there are several lines of evidence that provide testimony and we can always discuss that.

I would be happy to discuss that, because that's primarily where my doubts come in... that we believe we know what occurred over millions of years. Thousands of years, even tens of thousands don't cause me a problem. Millions? Sorry, but there's just too many possibilities/variables. And no, I don't believe in a literal 24-hour creative day.

But that evolution is ongoing is an undeniable fact (you might choose to call it variation within a kind, but that you have another name for it hardly prevent it from happening).

You misunderstand me: I absolutely believe in evolution... within the species, excluding homo sapien. As I have stated on many an occasion. But I don't believe in evolution from one common ancestor. I believe in creation from one common ancestor.

Also, we can't just dismiss some theory because there are no eye-witnesses to it; if we did that we had to throw away most of cosmology and plate tectonics.

Yet, you wish to do that with regard to what I believe... for the very reason that you don't believe there are eye-witnesses... when in MY case, there are... and many recorded what they saw. How IS that, exactly?

If God is telling you personally that evolution did not happen i cannot really argue with that -

Not God. Christ. And yes, there is a difference. A BIG difference. Because they are not one and the same, contrary to what many, particularly many "christians", believe.

but i am sure you understand that if I told you that Zeus had told me that evolution DID occur you would not see that as a particular convincing argument.

That you simply told me, no. If, however, you told me that he could tell me, as well... and I bothered to check it out... OR, if you told me that what he told you is recorded... well, I couldn't totally and absolutely dismiss you, either. I could only tell you WHY I don't believe you... and either offer my reasons/proof... or ask you to clarify or provide more as to YOUR reasoning/proof.

We can only discuss the physical facts in a meaningful way, and if one or both of us has a personal revelation from God we should properly leave that out of the conversation.

Contrary to what many believe... I not only have no problem discussing purely the physical facts, but I actually took an active interest and studied them, to perhaps a lesser degree than some, but I did bother. I mean, how can I know what you believe if I don't even bother to investigate it just a little? Now, you and some others might say you've already investigated what I believe. But because you most probably base that on what the WTBTS or some other religion has taught... I would have to vehemently disagree and say that you really haven't investigated what I am sharing with you.

Item 3: If you wrote a scientist and told him that you had not examined any physical evidence, or read any books on the subject, but you nevertheless had an idea that proved his life work wrong, yah, he would properly be quite skeptical and ask you to read a basic book on anthropology before you spoke. But would you really be acting in line with the bible (or plain common sence) in doing so?

First, I would never do that. IF I wrote to a scientist, I would have read up on him and what he or she believed... as well as what others in science who agreed and disagreed believed... and then either prepared a proper letter... or paper/essay... with an adequately outlined argument as to why I disagree. C'mon, dear one... give me SOME credit...

Im not sure i understand the zoo-idea, could you perhaps describe how it affect humanoid fossils found in africa and china?

I only included that as to your scenario. Chimps in the wild or perhaps in zoos (but not messed around with by humans).

The problem is not that there is 20-odd fossils that may have been very ill or deformed - it's that ALL which are "old" show the same type of deformities.

In the cases where more than one were found, yes. But again, that doesn't say to ME that these weren't community anonmalies, contrivances (i.e., because some HAVE been faked), or the product of evolution. Again, of the 125-odd "discoveries" made thus far, only TWO occurred before Mr. Darwin's "theory." Both of THOSE are considered "Neanderthals." He comes up with a theory... although there were many, MANY scientists who didn't give a care about religion before him, brilliant men... and women... and then all of a sudden all of these discoveries are made. MOST based on very small fragments. Forgive me for being as skeptical about the "science" as you are about my faith.

You suggest there may have been a wide-spread disease like AIDS which has caused this, but its pretty strange this disease altered the morphology of the skeletons to such an extend, and that NO normal humans are found which date to that age.

I think the "date to that age" also poses a problem for me - there are two sides to that coin, as well. Either way, I don't know that I believe that NO normal humans are/were found that date to that age, dear one. Am I suspicious of science? I guess you could say that, although the better statement is that I am suspicious of man. He has a tendency to push whatever it is he believes... even if he has to make up "proof" to support it. Like bogus jawbones. And the "Shroud of Turin" for instance... and it's supposed image of Christ (sheesh!).

At any rate one can imagine many fanciful explanations -- the simplest explanation is that the hundreds of fossils actually represent what lived in those days.

Or... that they are only a faction of what lived in those days... and not necessarily related to modern man at all... that [modern] man is just what he has always been... and these others, if not man were something else, but not descendants of homo sapien at all, ever...

I don't have a problem that we disagree. It is curious to me, however, that when it boils down it is you who accuse me of what you are doing: taking issue without knowing the facts. I do attempt to learn the facts - I am not sure those like you do. Again, yes, I know... most of you "tried" religion. But that is nothing like what I am speaking about, sharing. Not even close. It is like me saying I took a class on evolution taught by someone I now know doesn't have a clue, but I "understand" evolution, now. See?

But no worries, dear Bohm: I don't have a problem with ALL of evolution, just some of it, primarily as a result of the faked stuff (and there has been faked stuff). In the same vein, I just wish folks didn't allow fake christs to cause them to have a problem with ALL faith... but perhaps just some of it (i.e., the faked, I don't REALLY know what I'm talking about but since YOU don't know that, here, take this... kind).

Again, peace to you, and thank you for allowing this discussion. We don't have to end here, of course, but in case it does... thank you!

SA

• cofty
    cofty

Lenski's experiment is one of the most important and exciting in recent history. Shelby you have blithley dismissed it because you didn't understand it. I have written a summary of what it was about. There is no copy-and-paste in what follows. Perhaps you will reconsider your remarks? Your misrepresentaions of the facts is appalling.

E.Coli is one of the commonest bacterium on earth, there is around 1 billion of them in your gut right now. Most of the time they cause no problem, until a new strain wreaks havoc on its hosts digestive system. These bacteria reproduce asexually through simple cell division so Lensky began by cloning a population of genetically identical individuals. Next he divided them equally into 12 identical flasks each of which contained the same nutrient broth to produce 12 tribes of E.Coli, which have remained totally separate for 21 years and counting.

Every day 12 new flasks are prepared with the very same broth consisting of a mixture that contains glucose that they feed on, and citrate, which they are not able to eat, but more on that in a minute. Exactly 1% of the population of each flask is removed daily and put into the new flasks. That means that there are now 12 lines of 7000 flasks each stretching way back the beginning if the experiment. The 12 tribes were sampled at intervals to see how they were changing and, at strategic points, samples were frozen to provide living “fossils” that could be resuscitated for comparison with later generations.

E.Coli don’t waste any time in reproducing, averaging between 6 and 7 generations per day. That means that Lenski has bred 45,000 generations of bacteria. If we were to scale that up to human generations it would take us back a realtively modest (in evolutionary terms) 1 million years.

Every day the same pattern was observed, the population of the lucky 1% would initially soar, then as the food began to run out, it would level off as starvation set in: Boom and bust, day after day for 45,000 generations. The question to be answered was whether or not the bacteria would evolve, and if so would they change in similar or different ways?

The expectation was that if a bacterium underwent a mutation that allowed it to make better use of the limited food supply then it would be favoured by natural selection and in time the mutant would take over the tribe. Well this is exactly what happened in all 12 tribes every one got better than their ancestors at exploiting the available glucose. What was really amazing was that they all got better in different ways; they each “discovered” their own novel mutations to improve their fitness.

In each case populations began to grow faster and the average body size of the bacteria grew. Most of this growth happened over the first 2000 generations after which it began to plateau. The graphs of their growth all fit a hyperbolic curve beautifully, but each curve follows a slightly different path as different mutations occur at different times in each tribe.

The graphs also show an exception to this rule of diversity however. Two tribes appeared to follow identical rates of growth over 20,000 generations. Lenski and a team of scientists investigated by studying the DNA of the populations concerned. The astonishing result they discovered was that the same 59 genes had undergone the same changes in both tribes. This is truly staggering!

The genome of the E.Coli bacterium contains 4,403 genes made up from 4,639,221 base pairs. So what are the chances of the same mutation happening independently in 2 populations? Fairly low but not unreasonable? So what if we find 2, 3 or 4 mutations the same? Now it’s getting remarkable. But 59 changes in the same genes in both populations? That is the kind of incredible odds that creationists get so excited about. How many analogies are there – too many to count! Monkeys writing Shakespeare, jumbo jets in scrapyards, the list is endless. But here is an event or series of events with odds against that are stupefyingly large, odds that would beggar belief if it were not for the fact that it actually happened in the lab and the evidence is there for any competent scientist to examine.

This is the whole point about the power of natural selection, it achieves things that appear impossible through the step by step accumulation of favourable changes. Both tribes independently “discovered” the same 59 mutations out of all the millions of possible changes.

At generation 33,000 something else happened that was utterly remarkable, something that strikes at the very heart of the “intelligent design” movement. As the population of bacteria in a flask grows the liquid becomes increasingly cloudy. Each day the “cloudiness” or optical density (OD) is carefully measured and recorded. The OD of one particular tribe, named Ara-3, had been coasting along at a level of 0.04 similar to the other 11, when it suddenly it went into vertical take-off growing sixfold to an OD level of 0.25 After a few days the population level stabilized and all future generations of this tribe, and this tribe alone, achieved the same results.

So what was going on? Remember I mentioned earlier that the broth contained citrate? Well it turned out that Ara-3 had worked out how to eat citrate and therefore had loads more food to eat than the other 11 tribes. So when the other tribes were beginning to starve after the glucose ran out this tribe was still enjoying a bonanza.

Lenski worked out that this change was not likely to be the result of a single mutation, as it should have been discovered by other tribes as well. Neither was it a series of mutations of the sort where each change builds on the previous. That would not be rare enough to account for the dramatic uniqueness of Ara-3. What was needed was a combination of mutations of the kind that creationists call “irreducible complexity” where 2 or more mutations are required before there is any improvement whatsoever.

One of Lenski’s students, Zachary Blount, ran a gruelling set of experiments involving 40 trillion E.Coli cells from across the generations to discover what had actually happened. The magic moment turned out to be around generation 20,000. Thawed out clones dating from before that point never discovered how to use citrate, they were just like the other 11 tribes. Those that dated from after that generation showed increased probability of subsequently evolving citrate capability. A mutation had occurred that conferred no advantage the bacterium but it primed it to take advantage of a later mutation. Not only does this show new information entering genomes (something the likes of John Mackay endlessly asserts is impossible); not only does it demonstrate the power of natural selection to put together combinations of genes that, by the naïve calculations so beloved of creationists, should be tantamount to impossible; it also undermines their central dogma of “irreducible complexity”.

Lenski's research shows, in microcosm and in the lab, massively speeded up so that it happened before our very eyes, many of the essential components of evolution by natural selection: random mutation followed by non-random natural selection; adaptation to the same environment by separate routes independently; the way successive mutations build on their predecessors to produce evolutionary change; the way some genes rely, for their effects, on the presence of other genes. Yet it all happened in a tiny fraction of the time evolution normally takes.

• just n from bethel
    just n from bethel

But Cofty - that's not what her hallucinated sidekick (Jehiccup MiCaCa) tells her - so either way you're wrong. Why? her little invisible buddy says so - so there.

• cofty
    cofty

I know there is no way to argue with invisible friends.

If there is one thing more infuriating than somebody who just admits that they have no repsect for science because "goddidit" its somebody who pretends they have science to support their ramblings.

The surest sign somebody has not the first clue about science is when they use the word "theory" to support their scepticism...

I just haven't seen any evidence to support the theory (and it is a theory) = Shelby
  • bohm
    bohm

Aguest (christmas peace to you)

Item 1: Common descend is a fundamental evolutionary idea, i will agree with that. I was merely objecting to the "bulls turning into lions" remark which is entirely foreign to evolution. Anyway - lets move on!

Item 2: Yes, Aguest, but they have still evolved in that experiment. it might not be that the E-coli is turning into something entirely different, but they are changing and, yes, evolving per definition. Thats all i used the example to. Again, we dont really seem to disagree.

I have just tried to pray to christ and ask him about evolution, but he did not answer. I think we should set personal revelation aside for a moment and see where that leave us.

Item 3:

You seem to argue along different lines. I think you should reconsider calling all scientists liars, plain and simply. Its not very nice, especially when you have done so little to familiarize yourself with their work, methods and discoveries.

Secondly is to argue that the fossils does not represent the actual diversity of life at that time, that they was a completely seperate branch of homonoids that is not related to homo sapiens, or that they are all outliars. Well, that very well be so. But again, i am merely arguing that the simplest interpretation is that the fossilized homonoids actually represent what was alive at the time, and that fit pretty well into an evolutionary framework. It does not proove it, merely lend evidence to the idea.

I try to learn the facts, by the way. Just point out the relevant books or articles on evolution and i will begin reading them. I am sure you would educate yourself even more if you were to write a letter to an evolutionary biologist, i wrote what i did because you accused evolutionary biologists of having missed an obvious explanation and, if you read the litterature, you will see it has been discussed many, many times. you would also find the reasons why it was dismissed.

• AGuest
    AGuest

I totally understood the article... the experiment... and its results, dear Cofty (peace to you!). Again, it showed an evolution of the species (which I do not disgree or take issue with, except as that relates to the homo species, sapien. As I stated...), ALL of which still ended up being e.coli... just stronger, more adapted e.coli. And not, again, some strain of salmonella, which is also a bacteria but of different genus.

I didn't dismiss science... I don't dismiss science. I am simply not convinced of the evolution of the genus that is homo... nor that all life evolved from one common ancestor. Again, I believe that all physical life DOES have a common ancestor... perhaps that he is even one-celled (which is more accurate that you know!)... but not such life evolved from "it". Rather, that all were CREATED from it... him... the One source... according to the KIND (class, order, family). Because I believe... know, I KNOW... that the same ONE element in HIM, that he IS... is in ALL life. Which is why science finds similar markers... and properties... albeit some more than others... in all life forms. As I said, I believe the same "substance" from which chimpanzees, gorillas, bonobos, etc., were created... is the SAME substance from which man was created... with variations made TO that "substance." I believe that substance to be Christ... the Life.

The genome of the E.Coli bacterium contains 4,403 genes made up from 4,639,221 base pairs. So what are the chances of the same mutation happening independently in 2 populations? Fairly low but not unreasonable? So what if we find 2, 3 or 4 mutations the same? Now it’s getting remarkable.

I don't know if I agree that it is "remarkable". By OUR standards and limited knowledge, perhaps. But you assume that the Most Holy One of Israel didn't know how to also "create" the conditions that resulted in the various forms of life that came into existence. The mutation in the experiment occurred because of changes in the environment manipulated (and I do not use that word negatively) by scientists, in controlled situations, including the introduction of things that, according to OUR knowledge, should NOT have caused the reactions/adaptations it did... based on what we THOUGHT we knew. Yes? I believe, however, that we while we THINK, say, that e.coli cannot/should not feed off citrate... given the right set of circumstances/environment... it CAN. I believe the e.coli adapted itself to get to that point, yes, but I don't agree that that has to occure in all cases... for instance, with humans. I believe the environment and circumstances were "right"... to begin with. By means of the "preparation" of the physical realm that took place before man was even brought INTO existence.

But 59 changes in the same genes in both populations? That is the kind of incredible odds that creationists get so excited about.

Some, perhaps. Not me. I have no doubt that the Most Holy One of Israel knew exactly what environment was necessary to bring forth whatever His creation did. AND... with the exception of man... to keep it "evolving" so that it could "fill" the earth with the great number of species it has... and continues to do. I believe He started with the very basic component of life... energy... or, as some would say, Light... and built from there. I believe that scientists could figure that out, perhaps even replicate some parts of the "genesis", if they knew where to start. Or rather, with whom. Because they keep looking PAST the Source, however... they can only chance at it... and dance around it. All around it, true, but still... around it.

This is the whole point about the power of natural selection, it achieves things that appear impossible through the step by step accumulation of favourable changes. Both tribes independently “discovered” the same 59 mutations out of all the millions of possible changes.

Yes, but the assumption is that such favorable changes were completely random, chance, even ACCIDENTAL - I do not agree. Shoot me. Burn me at the stake, if that's what you feel you need to do. But I do not agree.

Please don't think that because I didn't publish a dissertation that I didn't understand the experiment, dear Cofty. I did. And that it gets science junkies all twitterpated. I have a different point of view... one that does NOT dismiss the experiment and its findings, but one that just says it doesn't prove to me that we evolved from a lower lifeform and common ancestor. For me, it simply states what I have said: that it is the species that evolves, yes, and even two species from one genus may do so... but it does not prove evolution of the genus or kind.

Again, I bid you peace!

SA

• AGuest
    AGuest

You seem to argue along different lines. I think you should reconsider calling all scientists liars, plain and simply.

I have not called any scientists liars, dear Bohm (again, peace to you!), excluding those who have fabricated facts to support their theories. And they are out there; however, I CERTAINLY haven't called them all so nor would I.

Its not very nice, especially when you have done so little to familiarize yourself with their work, methods and discoveries.

I know how you feel, truly. I feel the same way...

Secondly is to argue that the fossils does not represent the actual diversity of life at that time, that they was a completely seperate branch of homonoids that is not related to homo sapiens, or that they are all outliars. Well, that very well be so.

I'm not sure I understand this statement completely. The first part is simply my position based on the "evidence" that we have, thus far. What "we" believe, thus, far, really is speculation. Some might call it an "educated guess"... but I would disagree that it is educated... simply because it's quite limited. There's a whole lot of "time" passing between these "guesses." And, again, I do not believe all scientists to be liars, not even most of them, actually.

But again, i am merely arguing that the simplest interpretation is that the fossilized homonoids actually represent what was alive at the time, and that fit pretty well into an evolutionary framework.

Again, I have to disagree that it is the "simplest" interpretation. I believe there is an even simpler one... and that although it is quite similar (i.e., there is a common ancestor)... it's not the same. And I have stated it.

I do agree, however, that such an interpretation fits "pretty well" into an evolutionary framework. It should, shouldn't it... if that's what's being used to "support" the framework? If it didn't "fit"... then we wouldn't be having this discussion, I wager. However, sometimes a piece fits into more than one place in the jigsaw puzzle. Only one place, however, is the accurate place. I just disagree with you that evolution from a common ancestor is the accurate "place" in the puzzle of life.

It does not prove it, merely lend evidence to the idea.

Yes. But doesn't, say, for example, the so-called places, say, in, around, near... say, Jerusalem... lend evidence to the idea that Christ lived? Yet, many disbelieve that. I guess I don't understand why it's okay for you to say, "Doesn't prove it, but lends evidence to the idea..." which is the exact same thing a lot of theologians say.

Bohm, dear, I am not trying to ridicule, malign, or put down science. OR you. I have a LOT of faith in science. Just not TOTAL faith... or faith in ALL science. I do, however, have total faith in the Most Holy One of Israel, JAH of Armies... and in the One whom I believe to be the "common ancestor" of ALL life... physical AND spiritual, JAHESHUA MISCHAJAH, the Holy One of Israel and Holy Spirit... whom I believe He used to bring forth ALL life. I believe that HE is the common denominator... and when one looks for and finds HIM... or rather, is found by him... one finds the Source... of Life.

I'm sorry that that causes you and others such a conundrum - I am not sure why it does, even to the point of becoming snide and abusive. Sure, you're smarter than me... okay. And perhaps I am foolish (indeed, I am the first to admit it). But I cannot deny what has happened with me, been told and/or shown to me... or by whom. Can't do it. No matter who weeps or gnashes their teeth... or who rolls their eyes (although I truly hope none hurt themselves doing so). True, I don't have a ship so as to set out and prove the earth is round. Or a shuttle to prove that there really isn't life on the moon... or there is water there. But it wouldn't matter if I did have such... because they don't originate with the physical realm (although they often relate to it), but another dimension/realm.

If that makes me a candidate to be featured in the next "Men In Black" film, so be it. Do I believe that I have seen and heard WILL be proven... indeed, one day seen and heard by all? Yes, I do. In my lifetime? Not necessarily. Does it matter to me? Not one wit.

Do I believe I'm going to live forever? I can only hope. Do I believe I'm not going to die? No, I do not believe that at all. I HOPE I won't, before my Lord returns, but I am very well aware of the possibility. Indeed, it is highly likely (and so, I've already purchased a plot... and I'm only 51). Do I think I should just dismiss the physical world? Absolutely not. I and those I love exist in it, so I certainly believe we should do all we can to understand it. But I do not believe it is the be all, end all... or that all of our understanding about it, to date, is accurate. Including, but not necessarily limited to... evolution from a common ancestor.

Again, I hope this helps you understand... at least where I'm coming from. Please know that I do understand where you're coming from.

Again, peace to you!

SA

• Perry
    Perry

Here's a site that puts evolution in a factual context with thousands of artiFACTS. If most any of these testimonies are true, then it blows the standard evolution paradigm to smitherines.

http://www.s8int.com

• bohm
    bohm

Aguest (peace to you)

Well, on several occasions you have speculated that scientists have discovered fossils in a suspicious way; thats a pretty damning accusation to throw around.

Lets try to simplify the argument a bit. I claim that the simplest explanation of the fossils we have found is that they actually represent the diversity in the time the died. Can we agree so far?

(By the way, i believe Jesus lived, and i dont have total faith in science, if i understand the statement correctly).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit