CO says 35% inactive

by target 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I can believe the numbers - we hardly ever see people out in service round here and when we do it's usually a pair of die-hards on their own.

One thing that puzzles me though: didn't the WT make a 'thing' out of the fact that they only count those who preach as members? So if they are not going out preaching then how can they have any % that are inactive? (if that makes sense!) Surely they should just have a lower number of members ... unless, of course, that admitting it would *really* hurt!

Keep massaging your figures WT

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Simon,

Check above posts. The Borg doesn't %age the inactive, but they DO show the irregular as a %age.

The inactive are NOT included in the total of congregation publishers.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• target
    target

Since I was not there I am only reporting what the sister wrote who was there. She said "inactive" but it probably was "irregular". Many JWs interchange the two terms.
    It makes me laugh, though, when I think of the other Co just a few weeks ago who told the congregation I went to back there that they should prepare for a big increase. There was sure a lot of room in the Kingdom Hall for them because it was always half empty. It was only 30 miles from this last one where the CO said the problem was.
    You would think some of them could look around and see that things were not as they should be, but no, they are all excited about the coming increase and all the Bible Studies they will have. It makes one want to slap them upside the head and tell them to wake up!

When I was entrenched in the borg, I used to wonder how people could blindly follow Hitler. He told his followers that they were the superior race. They would take over the world. Not much different than the JW rhetoric after all.

Target

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh the conversations I've had with our elders about meeting attendance figures!

I'll use round numbers.

Congregation has 100 publisher cards.

MEETING ATTENDANCES

Public Talk - 105
    Watchtower - 98
    T.M.S - 83
    Service Meeting - 76
    Group Study - 92

Let's just take the Public Talk as an example.
    Our elders, and the C.O, would heap praise on us for our more than 100% attendance at that meeting.

Well I called them on it. I pointed out that when my family of 5 attend the meeting we represent only 2 publisher cards (and one is 'inactive'). A certain single sister with three children attends but her family represent only one publisher card.

Apply this logic throughout all families in the congregation and you will soon see that to achieve 100% attendance at the meeting there should in fact be perhaps 180 - 200 individuals sitting in the Kingdom Hall!!

105 individuals represents perhaps 60-65% attendance at best.

They looked at me as though I was Satan himself.

Nic'

http://www.do-not-call.org

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Co just a few weeks ago who told the congregation I went to back there that they should prepare for a big increase

I heard one S.O. tell his congregation that "we are experiencing exponential growth"! I kid you not.

Just goes to show, when you have been prevented from having a decent education, these boys will latch on to any buzz word that's current.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• fodeja
    fodeja
    I heard one S.O. tell his congregation that "we are experiencing exponential growth"! I kid you not.

Hey, I mean, he could be right. A yearly increase of, say, 0.001 percent is exponential growth after all.

Of course, these days, it looks more like exponential decay.

f.

• nytelecom2
    nytelecom2

It is indeed unfortunate that many are
    falling victim to the trappings of this world.
    However, hold your heads up high my brethren. At our
    last C.O. visit we had 10 percent inactive. However after
    the loving sheparding provided by our elder body 3 returned to
    preaching the kingdom of God on a regular basis. Our next C.O.
    visit is this week..PRAISE BE to JAH as we hear the increase
    of active publishers

• Focus
    Focus

fodeja wrote:

A yearly increase of, say, 0.001 percent is exponential growth

Well, it should not be - see these series: Exponential 1, 4, 9, 16, 25..
    Geometric 1, 2, 4, 8, 16..
    Linear 1, 2, 3, 4, 05..

So, by the table above, your example would be geometric and not exponential.

However, you are actually CORRECT. Statistical terminology does not follow algebraic common sense, and your example is termed an example of "exponential growth". However, it is more exactly called "geometric growth" (a subset of "exponential growth" patterns)- a sum population of humans cannot have non-integer values (half-a-brain-only elders notwithstanding).

Clear? For (even) more clarity see: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=20348&site=3

--
    Focus
    (Let us make 35% into 65% Class)

• Masterji
    Masterji

Nic,
    You hit the head of the nail.

My exact point!

M

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Simon,

didn't the WT make a 'thing' out of the fact that they only count those who preach as members? So if they are not going out preaching then how can they have any % that are inactive?

that is a bloody good point!!

Active = member
    Inactive = non-member

Should be straightforward shouldn't it. Thanks Simon - I'll have fun with this next CO visit!

Nic'

http://www.do-not-call.org

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit