The Star of Bethlehem

by sacolton 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moomanchu
  • jam
    jam

Moomanchu; That,s funny, very good.

• james_woods
    james_woods

There was an interesting segment on History Channel this morning about what possible astronomical event might be responsible for the Star of Bethelehem.

One point I was reminded of was that Josephus does not mention any such "star". They suggested (partly because it was not a noted event in the hisroty of the time) that it might have been only noticeable to star-gazers of the day, such as the Magi. A convergence of visible planets was suggested as such an event. Another point was that the star would have had to be visible long enough for the wise men to travel all the way to Bethlehem from the near east - months, if not years before the actual birth. It was suggested that perhaps the Christ child could have been as much as 2 years old when they arrived - after all, Herod ordered all babies up to 2 years old killed in the biblical massacre. But again, the killing of the babies is not mentioned by Josephus.

I had to go to work at that point - maybe I will catch it again if they replay it over the weekend.

• undercover
    undercover
    It was suggested that perhaps the Christ child could have been as much as 2 years old when they arrived - after all, Herod ordered all babies up to 2 years old killed in the biblical massacre.

I think the WTS has suggested the same thing...that Baby Jesus was Toddler Jesus...when the astrologers found him.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I think the WTS has suggested the same thing...that Baby Jesus was Toddler Jesus...when the astrologers found him.

So does the Bible.

Matthew 2:7 Then Herod called the Magi secretly and found out from them the exact time the star had appeared. 8 He sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the child. As soon as you find him, report to me, so that I too may go and worship him.”

9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. NIV

Syl

• whereami
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Luke 2:8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I was going to write how Matthew's account should be contrasted with Luke's, but something happened on the way to the forum.

Syl

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I agree that Jesus was probably older but the greek word for child: paidion, can mean:

1) a young child, a little boy, a little girl

a) infants

b) children, little ones

c) an infant

1) of a (male) child just recently born

d) of a more advanced child; of a mature child;

e) metaph. children (like children) in intellect

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Anyone seen this old WT view on the Magi, the star and astrology - where the possibility is entertained that God may have supplemented their astrological interpretation?

THE BRIGHT MORNING STAR

Herod, therefore, sent for the wise men. Feigning a deep interest in their quest, he made a critical inquiry of them how they knew about Messiah in their far-off country, how they knew where to look for the babe. They replied that they had seen his star in the east. The eastern magi were astrologers, and affected to read in the stars the history of nations and individuals--they were astrologers rather than astronomers. To what extent the Lord may have written the history of nations and of men in the arrangement of the stars, we will not attempt to decide, but assuredly for the world in general the starry heavens have been the great book of God, as the Psalmist explains, "Night unto night showeth knowledge." With the written Word of God in our possession now we neither have need of traditions of men nor of old wives' fables nor of astrologers' guides, because "we have the more sure word of prophecy; whereunto you do well that you take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place until the day dawn and the day star arise in your hearts."--'2 Pet. 1:19'. Without attempting to determine how much or how little truth attaches to astrology, we have the assurance that there was a truth connected with the manifestation of a special, peculiar star which guided the wise men of the east to know of Messiah's birth and to know to which country he belonged, so that they came to the capital city of that country. Moreover the Lord may have given them some additional explanation of the matter, even as he subsequently warned them in a dream.

-ZWT, January 1, 1906, p. 14 (it's worth reading the whole section!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit