The Star of Bethlehem

by sacolton 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sacolton
    sacolton

What were you taught as a JW about the Star of Bethlehem?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL That is was a star sent by Satan to lead the wise men to Jesus..so they could report back to Herod where he was and kill him.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Show me in the bible that Satan can create stars - let alone move them. Which scripture is that?

• snowbird
    snowbird

There are no scriptures to support that teaching.

Evidently and apparently are the best the WT can offer.

The visit from these men certainly benefited the family of Jesus of Nazareth in a material way.

In a spiritual way, I believe it predicted that EVERY knee will bend to Him.

Just my thoughts.

Syl

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL, It assumes, with no basis other than the WT says so, that the star led them to Herod. Logic says the wise men would go to Herod in Jerusalem, the most obvious place for a king to be born. The wise men simply say they saw the star so came to Jerusalem. Then the star led them to the child where they gifted the fsamily with expensive gifts...which gave them the resoucres to run to Egypt...fulfilling an OT prophecy "Out of Egpyt I called my son..."

But Saco, the WT says it had to happen this way! You wouldn't be questioning them would you?? They have responsible 'brothers' who are assigned to do research.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I dunno ... something about going beyond what is written.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The WT basically says the star led them to Herod (assertion) and Herod sent them to find Jesus and report his whereabouts to him (fact). The star then led them to Jesus (fact) and they would have reported back to Herod had an angel not invervened (fact).

However, when reading the account we see right after the narrative that this was done to fulfil Jesus being called out of Egypt...the wise men provided monetary gifts for Jesus broke parents to run to Egypt. One has to come to this account already believing the Wt story to come to that conclusion from reading.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL Those 'apostates'! Always questioning things! :)

• sacolton
    sacolton

Does the name "Satan" appear anywhere in that chapter?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I wonder why Mary and Joseph didn't throw out the gifts from the wise men. Since they were astrologers they would have been heavily influenced by demons. These gifts might even have had demons inside, much like items we buy at garage sales.

I think the WT just likes to shit on anything that might influence people to spend money somewhere other than the contribution box.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit