my JW brother's reply on facebook? what should I say next

by Found Sheep 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

umm thinking I like that... "and the Beroeans didn't even have a Bible - yet Truth can't change"

how does that sound?

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Might warp his mind a little! - the Beroeans actually searched the scriptures (which would be the Hebrew scriptures) and unknown to most dubs, even they weren't put into a canon until about 100 or 200 A.D.!

Most dubs just picture the Beroeans as a little congregation somewhat like their own where everybody looks up the scripture that the speaker cites - very anachronistic. It is unfortunate that most dubs have little appreciation of history, and since the pictures in the WT are warped to impress that kind of image on their minds, they fall for it hook, line and sinker. They probably picture the Beroeans having a WT study!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Leaving got it first round: Does truth change?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

can't say i know history either so i'll just stick with "does the truth change" but need a rebutle for when he rights "the light gets brighter" crap..

• nugget
    nugget

This is what I would say.

Thank you for your message you are so right. Boreans were able to check their beliefs with all sources to ensure that what they were being taught was true and robust. Any religion professing to be truthful has nothing to fear from knowledge since something that is true cannot be turned into a lie just because of the wishes of man.

I agree it is so important to check everything to ensure that we are following Gods will and not mans. Since it does not matter how strongly a person professes to follow God it is what they teach and their fruits that indicate who they really serve. After all the Bible warns us that even if we were to hear something from an angel that was wrong we should not follow it. Sometimes we get into the habit of being lazy and just going along with what we are told because it is easier than doing the fact checking ourselves. If this is the case with you how can you be sure that you are right?

May I ask if lately you have followed your own advice and checked the recent doctrinal changes to see how the food is being distributed to the flock? I have been disappointed to see the recent trend towards worship of the governing body and the changing generation. Be a Borean it's been a while since you were. Would love to hear your thoughts.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Truth is veiled for witnesses. They are convinced they are worshiping in truth. When in fact, the truth the bible is referring to is here in Corinthians. Verse 3 refers to the those who are veiling truth and still calling it good news, notice that they perish.

In the later verses we are told that the real good news or truth is that, Jesus is Lord, Love him. Witnesses go contrary to verse 5 where it says not to preach about yourselves but to preach about Jesus. They do not preach about Jesus.

(2 Corinthians 4:1-6) 4 That is why, since we have this ministry according to the mercy that was shown us, we do not give up; 2 but we have renounced the underhanded things of which to be ashamed, not walking with cunning, neither adulterating the word of God, but by making the truth manifest recommending ourselves to every human conscience in the sight of God. 3 If, now, the good news we declare is in fact veiled, it is veiled among those who are perishing, 4 among whom the god of this system of things has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, that the illumination of the glorious good news about the Christ, who is the image of God, might not shine through. 5 For we are preaching, not ourselves, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as YOUR slaves for Jesus' sake. 6 For God is he who said: "Let the light shine out of darkness," and he has shone on our hearts to illuminate [them] with the glorious knowledge of God by the face of Christ.

Also he quoted you Math 7: 21. That was ironically talking about False Prophets. Plus it's talking about how to get into heaven.

(Matthew 7:21) 21 "Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,' will enter into the kingdom of the heavens, but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will.

So what is the fathers will.

Preaching about his son.

So if gods word is truth then he would get into heaven for doing gods will. What? Heaven!

The scripture about the Boreans is dumb to quote too. It encourages studying the scriptures. Not watchtowers

Sorry I rambled, It's just such stupid reasoning.

So now I dodged your question. LOL

Ask him to tell you exactly what the good news is. Using only scriptures. He will be forced to actually look for it and will be surprised to find it's not what they are preaching.

tt

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes
    a rebutle for when he rights "the light gets brighter" crap..

(1 John 2:7-8) 7 Beloved ones, I am writing YOU, not a new commandment, but an old commandment which YOU have had from [the] beginning. This old commandment is the word which YOU heard. 8 Again, I am writing YOU a new commandment, a fact that is true in his case and in YOURS, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining.

The true light was already shining waaayyyy back then.

tt

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

What does Proverbs 4:18 REALLY mean....its interesting when you read that whole chapter. It has NOTHING to do with a change in doctrine or the "light getting brighter" regarding beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

Hi Found Sheep. No surprises in his answer is there? It's got JW written all over it.

Just curious: Did you make your comments on Facebook with your brother in mind or did he just "happen" to see your comments and respond? Good luck on being able to say anything that will motivate him to re-examine his unthinknig side-stepping of your comments.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm in full agreement with FinallyFree: the Bible is not true simply because it says "God's word is truth."

Sociopaths and psychopaths always say they're innocent. Why would they lie about something so serious?

IF the Bible was true, both SCIENCE and HISTORY would provide corroborating evidence. The fact is that they do not.

What is the Bible? Is is a great example of the world's oldest public-relations campaign, full of people and places that never existed, loaded with so-called prophecy which was written AFTER THE FACT, not before.

Aesop was more honest - he called his collected works FABLES.

As for Found Sheep's brother - drop the subject. Spend your time teaching a pig to do the polka, you'll attain success sooner!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit