my JW brother's reply on facebook? what should I say next

by Found Sheep 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

This was my post Strong conviction does not make your belief true, people die for lies every day
    • This is his-
      • You're spot on. Truth really matters:
        John 17:17 - God's word is truth
        Beroeans set good example of seeking truth - Acts 17:10,11
        John 4:24 - We must worship in truth.
        Matt 7:21 - not everyone saying "Lord" . . .
    </form>
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

"Does truth change?"

• DanaBug
    DanaBug

How can you determine truth when you can't examine all the available information?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

He dodged your statement, he didn't make a reply to it, he replied to something else, just like a good JW.

• unshackled
    unshackled

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca

• tec
    tec

I like LeavingWT's response. Simple, posed as a question, and your brother will either have to answer it or dodge it again. (I hate it when people dodge questions and then set you onto something else.)

If he brings up new light, then you can bring up flickering (flip-flop stances) light.

Tammy

• garyneal
    garyneal

I agree with ASphereIsNotACircle.

A good response might be, "How do one know what he or she believes is truth verses a strong conviction?"

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

it's funny i fell for it. His responce has nothing to do with my post. I need to put something this is the ONLY contact he has with me. not sure why he feels safer having a internet relationship? I don't think he knows i DA myself a month ago....

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

If 'The Bible' is truly God's Word (John 17:17 - your Word is truth), why did God suddenly need Watchtower/Awake magazines as supplements to that Word in the late 1800's? Prior to the printing press being discovered, I guess he didn't much care whether the 'truth' was accessible to the masses, but Gutenberg sped up his agenda, I guess.

The Beroeans didn't have Bibles as we have come to know them. They probably didn't have scrolls either. Probably just checked out what they heard orally, but that would be a good topic for research for your brother! When exactly did the Beroeans live? At the time Paul wrote his letters? The Gospels weren't even around then; they were written at least 20 - 30 years later...your brother needs to research the actual history of the BIBLE!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    John 17:17 - God's word is truth

The most obvious example of circular reasoning I've ever seen; the bible is true because the bible says so. If the book is so credible, why can't it cite a reference other than itself as to whether or not it's the truth?

It's no different than me saying, "I'm God because I say so." Only an idiot would believe me.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit